Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor 5.0 401A
Occupation
Full-Stack Software Engineer
Bought a 2023 401A Tremor with the Coyote back in September. Put about 4000 miles on it and noticed a small oil leak around the bell housing + rear of oil pan. Cleaned it off a few times, then it got really bad. Oil spatter all over the undercarriage. After long drives, you can smell the oil burning on the down-pipe. 3 weeks ago I brought it into my local dealer to get it fixed. The dealer confirmed the oil leak was coming from the rear-main seal and they replaced the oil-pan gasket as a bonus (Screenshots of service work below). I have since retrieved the vehicle (today) and took it for some drives. Gassed it here and there, let it cruise on the highway etc. Got home tonight and it looks like the oil leak came back (same day as retrieval from dealer; sheeee****tttt). I cleaned up the oil spatter(s)/drip and put a dry shop towel in my garage. Will monitor for the next week or so.

Side Note: It seems that the oil only starts leaking when the engine is revved up high; merging on the highway and such. Driving around town doesn't seem to present the issue. I don't beat on this thing (yet). It's in eco-mode 99% of the time w/ cruise control.

Has anyone had this issue before? The Diagnosis could have been a false-positive, these seals have incredible tolerances and it could be a faulty mechanical-part (worst case). Also a possibility that the tech working on my vehicle was a total novice and just made it worse.

Thanks!

(Service work attached - all work under warranty. I don't have pictures of the oil leak, you can find those online.)

Ford F-150 2023 5.0 - New engine at 4800 miles IMG_9731

Ford F-150 2023 5.0 - New engine at 4800 miles IMG_9732
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Bought a 2023 401A Tremor with the infamous Coyote back in September. Put about 4000 miles on it and noticed a small oil leak around the bell housing + rear of oil pan. Cleaned it off a few times, then it got really bad. Oil spatter all over the undercarriage. After long drives, you can smell the oil burning on the down-pipe. 3 weeks ago I brought it into my local dealer to get it fixed. The dealer confirmed the oil leak was coming from the rear-main seal and they replaced the oil-pan gasket as a bonus (Screenshots of service work below). I have since retrieved the vehicle (today) and took it for some drives. Gassed it here and there, let it cruise on the highway etc. Got home tonight and it looks like the oil leak came back (same day as retrieval from dealer; sheeee****tttt). I cleaned up the oil spatter(s)/drip and put a dry shop towel in my garage. Will monitor for the next week or so.

Side Note: It seems that the oil only starts leaking when the engine is revved up high; merging on the highway and such. Driving around town doesn't seem to present the issue. I don't beat on this thing (yet). It's in eco-mode 99% of the time w/ cruise control.

Has anyone had this issue before? The Diagnosis could have been a false-positive, these seals have incredible tolerances and it could be a faulty mechanical-part (worst case). Also a possibility that the tech working on my vehicle was a total novice and just made it worse.

Thanks!

(Service work attached - all work under warranty. I don't have pictures of the oil leak, you can find those online.)

EDIT: I also just noticed on the service work that they put 5w-20 in my vehicle. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but i'm 100% sure I should have 5w-30 in here. The dealer in question has 2.3 stars on Yelp (122 reviews). I'm starting to think the techs are incompetent and this issue would have been better solved at another.

IMG_9731.jpg

IMG_9732.jpg
Good morning. I would like to take a closer look at this oil leak issue. To get started, can you please send over a message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer?

Vin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
The Coyote is infamous?
His rear main seal was leaking oil at 4000mi. I think he can call it anything he likes and have it stick. Hopefully the seal was the issue and not a flaw in the metal work etc.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
There is a tsb for a leak at the oil cooler, may want to check that out. But that being said, If it’s leaking at high rpm and spattering the undercarriage that is still indicating a rear main seal issue. The TSB in relation to the oil cooler to block location would be a slow drip and should not be effected by pressure or rpm as with a rear main seal. Dealer likely installed it incorrectly or chaffed the seal trying to install….they are a PITA to install. Unfortunately they will be doing the job again if that’s the case.

Sponsored

Vin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
His rear main seal was leaking oil at 4000mi. I think he can call it anything he likes and have it stick. Hopefully the seal was the issue and not a flaw in the metal work etc.
Easy, Killer. This isn't Fakebook.

An oil leak at 4k miles certainly entitles him to "call it anything likes". As a matter of fact, he can call it anything he likes without any problem whatsoever. It just doesn't make a word like infamous "stick" on this forum without more widespread, well-known infamy. Maybe the 5.0 is infamous for something? I was just unaware of what it is.

Needless to say, I hope the problem is minor.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
Easy, Killer. This isn't Fakebook.

An oil leak at 4k miles certainly entitles him to "call it anything likes". As a matter of fact, he can call it anything he likes without any problem whatsoever. It just doesn't make a word like infamous "stick" on this forum without more widespread, well-known infamy. Maybe the 5.0 is infamous for something? I was just unaware of what it is.

Needless to say, I hope the problem is minor.
I’m not on Facebook lol, but point taken. I would not call a bad main seal minor, but that’s usually something that occurs much farther down the road.
Until this forum I was under the impression all the F-150 powertrain options were pretty reliable.

OP
OP
jacob.hinkston

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
There is a tsb for a leak at the oil cooler, may want to check that out. But that being said, If it’s leaking at high rpm and spattering the undercarriage that is still indicating a rear main seal issue. The TSB in relation to the oil cooler to block location would be a slow drip and should not be effected by pressure or rpm as with a rear main seal. Dealer likely installed it incorrectly or chaffed the seal trying to install….they are a PITA to install. Unfortunately they will be doing the job again if that’s the case.
I brought it back to the dealer next morning and they put it right back in the shop. The tech said he would check the TSBs (Not sure why he wouldn't have checked before). It is a slow drip, it's the wind movement under the vehicle that "spatters" the drip on the undercarriage. I prob could have elaborated more.

Yeah, it is a PITA to get to it. The tech is already half-way done. It sounds like they bought a bunch of new parts for it, namely an entire oil pan with all new gaskets, and a "cover" (this is what the service advisor said - more info in the morning).

We'll see if it comes back.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
OP
OP
jacob.hinkston

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
See attached technical service bulletin. If it comes back; I would start here. It seems extremely rare, but is a possibility.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2023/MC-10238287-0001.pdf
I ran across this TSB searching around on youtube. The issue is:

"23-August-2022 and through 30-April-2023 equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit an oil leak from the oil filter adaptor to engine block mounting area. This may be due to block porosity just below the oil filter adapter near the main bearing cap outer bolt. To correct the condition, follow the service Procedure to inspect the engine block for a porosity leak."

My F150 was manufactured in May of '23, also, the oil filter adapter is on the front of the engine. I did check this, and it does not seem to be the issue here. I will keep this in mind though. Thanks!

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I ran across this TSB searching around on youtube. The issue is:

"23-August-2022 and through 30-April-2023 equipped with a 5.0L engine may exhibit an oil leak from the oil filter adaptor to engine block mounting area. This may be due to block porosity just below the oil filter adapter near the main bearing cap outer bolt. To correct the condition, follow the service Procedure to inspect the engine block for a porosity leak."

My F150 was manufactured in May of '23, also, the oil filter adapter is on the front of the engine. I did check this, and it does not seem to be the issue here. I will keep this in mind though. Thanks!
OK, just wanted you to be aware. My 2023 was manufactured in Nov. of 2022 (smack in the middle of these dates) and is dry as a bone. I haven’t even seen one post about anyone having this occur, but I figured it was worth the link lol.

OP
OP
jacob.hinkston

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
OK, just wanted you to be aware. My 2023 was manufactured in Nov. of 2022 (smack in the middle of these dates) and is dry as a bone. I haven’t even seen one post about anyone having this occur, but I figured it was worth the link lol.
Yeah, don't you hate that? the Grim Reaper of vehicles?: "There might be an issue that requires an entire short block replacement, just thought we should let you know." lol

That's good it's dry, maybe you got lucky. I can't say the same for myself. My truck has 4000 miles on it, rear-main seals don't go out at this mileage, I have a feeling it's something else. Hopefully It doesn't have to meet the Grim Reaper. :cry:

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Yeah, don't you hate that? the Grim Reaper of vehicles?: "There might be an issue that requires an entire short block replacement, just thought we should let you know." lol

That's good it's dry, maybe you got lucky. I can't say the same for myself. My truck has 4000 miles on it, rear-main seals don't go out at this mileage, I have a feeling it's something else. Hopefully It doesn't have to meet the Grim Reaper. :cry:
Rear main seals don’t typically go at that mileage. But other things will cause it to blow out repetitively. Bad PCV causing positive crankcase pressure, this will blow out the rear main seal over and over until corrected. They should be checking that PCV with this work. I’d hope they have done this. Oil will find its way out if the crankcase is not ventilating. Rear main seal is the first place the oil finds its way out…..all for a faulty cheap little part in the valve cover.

OP
OP
jacob.hinkston

jacob.hinkston

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jacobhinkston.com
Vehicles
Occupation
Update: After the dealer tried fixing it a second time, the leak returned for a 3rd time, day of. My vehicle has been out of commission for a month now. Really regretting going with Ford this time around, will be buying a Toyota next time.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
Between the 3.5 EcoBoost blocks cracking at cylinder #1 and the 5.0 having oil leaks at the block/oil filter housing attachment….2023 was not Fords year for QC on engines. I think you may be in for a new block. Hope they can make the turn around fast for you.

Toyota isn’t safe. They have a large amount of main bearing and connecting rod failures on their new 3.5 TT. See below. Huge issues:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/3-4-i-force-engine-failures.121107/
Sponsored