Sponsored

I have 2H/4H/4L, where is 4A?

JBinFla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
I have Powerboost XLT SuperCrew with FX4. Is 4A not an option on my ride? I'd love to be able to put it into 4A as 4H is obviously not good for pavement and I always loved the 4WD in the rain.
Sponsored

NH_Leadfoot

First Name
Geoff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A
Occupation
.GOV
I have Powerboost XLT SuperCrew with FX4. Is 4A not an option on my ride? I'd love to be able to put it into 4A as 4H is obviously not good for pavement and I always loved the 4WD in the rain.
4A is only available on Lariats and above. Not for us lowly XLT owners.

Jaybird2022

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru wrx
Occupation
Military
Only lariat and upper trims have that. Sorry dude. But even if I had it I would leave it in 2h for gas consumption purpose.

OP
OP

JBinFla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT FX4
Dang... I was wanting a Lariat, but had to draw the line somewhere. In Florida it rains a lot. I used to run 4H in my Ranger when it rained, and didn't really bind anything up (would turn it off in a parking lot, etc. and only run in rain). But I also went thru tires every 30k miles. I suspect this had a lot to do with it :)

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
One of my projects later this year is to upgrade my truck to have 4A. It can be, and has been done.
You need to get the following:

TOD transfer case
Transfer case control module
4A mode switch

From what I’ve read, the wiring is there. You just need to replace the components. Should cost about $1500 - $2000 in parts.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Yeah, it's just a scumbag move on Ford's part. They are afraid that everyone will order stripped base model XL trucks with all the "goodies" that everyone actually wants without getting the overpriced fluff options like giant center screens, extra speakers, goofy fold down shifters and other useless shit nobody asked for.

IMO opinion, the 4A transfer case and LED headlights are safety features that shouldn't be used as carrots on a stick to entice buyers to higher trims. Unfortunately, it's nothing new and manufacturers used to do the same thing with reverse cameras and back in the day; even windshield wipers and sideview mirrors were omitted from lower trims until they were mandatory under government regulations.

Boscom39

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2.7EB XLT SCREW 4x4
It is definitely disappointing to not have 4A in the XLT considering the RAM has it on the Big Horn (and cheaper to get into) which is pretty much the same trim level as the XLT.
Coming from an AWD suv I def would’ve used 4A more. I like my XLT but that is the one option I wish it had. Maybe they will wise up and offer it on future models?
That TC replacement seems like a good mod if that’s all it needs to have the 4A option and no additional programming.

Last edited:

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yeah, it's just a scumbag move on Ford's part. They are afraid that everyone will order stripped base model XL trucks with all the "goodies" that everyone actually wants without getting the overpriced fluff options like giant center screens, extra speakers, goofy fold down shifters and other useless shit nobody asked for.

IMO opinion, the 4A transfer case and LED headlights are safety features that shouldn't be used as carrots on a stick to entice buyers to higher trims. Unfortunately, it's nothing new and manufacturers used to do the same thing with reverse cameras and back in the day; even windshield wipers and sideview mirrors were omitted from lower trims until they were mandatory under government regulations.
Agreed. If the XLT had 4A, the 302A package would be super competitive. The perfect compromise between features and price.

As it stands though, it’s not worth the $10k or more jump in price to get 4A. And I don’t need blue cruise, RBG lights, and a folding shifter.

I do however, really like my 12” screen lol.

Boscom39

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 2.7EB XLT SCREW 4x4
Agreed. If the XLT had 4A, the 302A package would be super competitive. The perfect compromise between features and price.

As it stands though, it’s not worth the $10k or more jump in price to get 4A. And I don’t need blue cruise, RBG lights, and a folding shifter.

I agree with you there about the 10k and that’s why I have the XLT and not the Lariat. I have the 302a package and hope to eventually mod to the LED brake lights. The 4A would’ve been the icing on the cake.

smyph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Stuff and thing

You only need a mid level lariat to get 4a. Which is about 6k more than a 302a.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
I wonder how much it costs Ford to have the transfer case for the XLT – all the extra parts, the assembly line differences, field service parts, inventory.
I expect Ford will "optimize" during the transition to electric and there just won't be any way for them to have 10,000 different F-150s and F-250s.

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You only need a mid level lariat to get 4a. Which is about 6k more than a 302a.
Oh? Hard to find those on the lot....I plan to drive my current F150 for the next 5 years, but the next one I get will be special ordered.