OP
OP
Roscopcoletrain

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
Meant to update this. Never got to use the scale. Was a private business and they put up signs asking for no public use. Doh
Anyway, I'm picking up a used Equilizer 4 point kit next Wednesday. It's a 1400lb kit. I was worried it might be overkill, so reached out to Equilizer. They said it will work ok, might stiffen up the ride some.
We've got a trip starting on the 16th, 200miles, so it'll get some work right away. 👍

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
Meant to update this. Never got to use the scale. Was a private business and they put up signs asking for no public use. Doh
Anyway, I'm picking up a used Equilizer 4 point kit next Wednesday. It's a 1400lb kit. I was worried it might be overkill, so reached out to Equilizer. They said it will work ok, might stiffen up the ride some.
We've got a trip starting on the 16th, 200miles, so it'll get some work right away. 👍
I think you can purchase lighter bars. My buddy has a trailer that is just as heavy as mine, but runs lighter bars as set up by the dealer. He thinks it performs better if they flex a little. Quite honestly, I don't know what they look like hitched up, as he is almost always set up before I arrive, and I leave before he does. On the rare occasions this doesn't happen I forget to look.

I can't imagine stiffer bars being that much of a detriment to the experience. All things considered, if its flat land and good weather I would "think" it would tow better, eliminating any "bounce" that might have been there before. But maybe that negatively affects sway control. Just have to try it and see. Can always fall back to the current hitch.

OP
OP
Roscopcoletrain

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
I think you can purchase lighter bars. My buddy has a trailer that is just as heavy as mine, but runs lighter bars as set up by the dealer. He thinks it performs better if they flex a little. Quite honestly, I don't know what they look like hitched up, as he is almost always set up before I arrive, and I leave before he does. On the rare occasions this doesn't happen I forget to look.

I can't imagine stiffer bars being that much of a detriment to the experience. All things considered, if its flat land and good weather I would "think" it would tow better, eliminating any "bounce" that might have been there before. But maybe that negatively affects sway control. Just have to try it and see. Can always fall back to the current hitch.
actually the 1400 and 1200 run the same bars. Its actually the hitch head thats beefer on the 1400 kit. So, I'd need to swap that.

But ya, like you said, can always fall back. And for the price, I could flip it and make money. But I think it'll be ok

{tpc}

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 302a High SuperCrew 3.5 EB MaxTow
actually the 1400 and 1200 run the same bars. Its actually the hitch head thats beefer on the 1400 kit. So, I'd need to swap that.

But ya, like you said, can always fall back. And for the price, I could flip it and make money. But I think it'll be ok
Funny, on mine and my buddys, we both have the Curt TruTrack system. He told me his bars were 800 lbs. I guess thats why I figured mine were heavier. But we both noticed last trip, that there was no indication on the bars themselves, just the hitch head. And mine is definitely beefier than his. It looks similar but its not the same.

I am surprised that the bars aren't weight rated. I can understand the hitch head being rated, but I can't imagine a heavier hitch head would affect how the rest of the system works at all.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Roscopcoletrain

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
Funny, on mine and my buddys, we both have the Curt TruTrack system. He told me his bars were 800 lbs. I guess thats why I figured mine were heavier. But we both noticed last trip, that there was no indication on the bars themselves, just the hitch head. And mine is definitely beefier than his. It looks similar but its not the same.

I am surprised that the bars aren't weight rated. I can understand the hitch head being rated, but I can't imagine a heavier hitch head would affect how the rest of the system works at all.
I believe the bars are weight rated on the lower end, but at 1200+ they beefed up the hitch head itself. At least for Equilizer E4. I can't speak for other brands

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Got ours hooked up to tow home from storage today. So tanks are empty but propane is full.

Water tank is ahead of the axle but fridge and pantry are behind. So shouldn't have to readjust the hitch too much I don't think..........

Ford F-150 How's this hitch setup look? IMG_3091.JPG

Ford F-150 How's this hitch setup look? IMG_3092.JPG

Ford F-150 How's this hitch setup look? IMG_3093.JPG

OP
OP
Roscopcoletrain

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
Got the Equilizer e4 installed Thursday. Measured up good. Headed out camping today. Towed beautiful. Felt great 👍
Ford F-150 How's this hitch setup look? 20220716_095035
Ford F-150 How's this hitch setup look? 20220716_141143

OP
OP
Roscopcoletrain

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
Another update. Love the Equilizer. Just returned from our furthest trip, 320km (200 miles) and was super impressed with how the truck/trailer/hitch worked. I think on maybe a lighter trailer, the R6 would be great. It's quiet, easy to set up, and worked pretty good. But the E4 works better for our setup. 👍
Sponsored