Hitch upgrade???

XxHeliakonxX

First Name
Luke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat, Oxford White
Has anyone upgraded their 2021 class IV hitch to a class V? If so, what did you pay and how does it look?

I have a 2021 lariat with the max tow package, meaning I can tow 14k pounds. But, Ford in all of their consumer friendliness, sticks a Class IV hitch on the truck that (without WDH) is only rated for 5K.

I have a boat on order for next spring that is over the 5K limit (including trailer). Since surge breaks don’t play nice with WDH, I’m considering upgrading my hitch all together.

Side note, I know that I can get a boat trailer with electric breaks instead of surge breaks and then use a WDH. I’m pretty sure I’m going to upgrade my trailer to electric breaks for various other reasons, but I still like the idea of having the hitch upgraded rather than going through the hassle of using WDH on every trailer I need to kid with more than 5K pounds.
Sponsored

Capt Obvious

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 Lariat SUper Crew 500a 3.5 EB Max Tow
Has anyone upgraded their 2021 class IV hitch to a class V? If so, what did you pay and how does it look?

I have a 2021 lariat with the max tow package, meaning I can tow 14k pounds. But, Ford in all of their consumer friendliness, sticks a Class IV hitch on the truck that (without WDH) is only rated for 5K.

I have a boat on order for next spring that is over the 5K limit (including trailer). Since surge breaks don’t play nice with WDH, I’m considering upgrading my hitch all together.

Side note, I know that I can get a boat trailer with electric breaks instead of surge breaks and then use a WDH. I’m pretty sure I’m going to upgrade my trailer to electric breaks for various other reasons, but I still like the idea of having the hitch upgraded rather than going through the hassle of using WDH on every trailer I need to kid with more than 5K pounds.
I’m in the same boat with the same truck. The hitch rating doesn’t make a lot of sense. A WDH hitch still goes into the same hole so technically the straight pull is from the same spot. For a boat trailer the hitch is probably just fine but legally it isn’t. I will likely upgrade to a V myself. Back in my younger days I towed just about daily maxed out with a ball on the bumper. That’s just the way things were done.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Can we reuse this thread to see pictures of the various stock hitches or hitch upgrades? I am curious what the physical setup looks like for tow-tech vs. trailer-tow vs. max-tow. I will post my tow-tech-only picks this evening.

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Here are some shots of the hitch config on a 502a Powerboost with only the tow technology package.

Ford F-150 Hitch upgrade??? 20210929_185606

Ford F-150 Hitch upgrade??? 20210929_185629

Ford F-150 Hitch upgrade??? 20210929_185709

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
Is the hitch with the trailer tow package physically connected the same way? Have any pictures of your config with trailer tow pkg? Interesting the hitch sticker remains 5k.

Sponsored

Dresdie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 Acura TSX
It looks like the pull weight through this hitch (ultimately the trailer) is effectively held by the threads of the bolts. Is that true?

Last edited:

jperry5835

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid Platinum
has anyone found any Class V hitches available for the 2021 F-150 yet?