First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Dang you guys are lucky! The "local" scales both are 20 miles away (in 2 different directions) and closest 3 CAT scales are all 36 miles away in the same cluster of truck stops. Plus my trailer is stored 16 miles from me.

Maybe some weekend I'll make a whole day of it. I only have my tongue scale but haven't weighed new trailer and truck all hitched.
Sponsored

unafFORDableXLT

First Name
Robb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT
Looks like you’re camping in an orchard? That reminded me of the scale I used to use at a produce packing plant near my house. Be creative. You may find a scale closer to you.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
How are you guys doing all these CAT scale passes?

I have been to the 2 truck scales in my area (non CAT affiliated) both had long lines (like 4-5 trucks deep) when I went, and it costs $12 for a pass over the scales. There is no way I'm spending 3 hours and $60 to weigh multiple times.

So is CAT just way more friendly and efficient, and they allow multiple passes??
I happen to have a Pilot Travel Center with CAT scale about 14 miles from my house. Years of casual observation have taught me the 'non-peak' times, so I aim for those but if I hit a line trucks pass through quickly in my experience (most of them are using the CAT Scale App which provides fast processing, no trip to the inside desk for payment, etc.). Pro truckers are generally respectful of everyone's time so don't dally, you need to be prepared to act the same way.

I don't typically make more than 2 passes to get what I need (see my previous posts), the need is not frequent, the cost is insignificant IMO in the big picture of achieving relaxed RV towing.

If you're doing a lot of weighing the free CAT Scale App may be worthwhile to reduce steps - though aimed for them you don't have to be a professional / commercial trucker to use it.
I have the CAT app as well. I think it’s $12 for the first weigh, then go back with the trailer and it’s $3 for a re-weigh. The app walks you thru it. Pretty simple actually.
It's been a while for me but that fits my recall; IIRC you're limited to one 'discount re-weigh' per each full-price weigh (?).
Get the app weighmytruck.com. It is $12.50 for the first weight and $3 for as many reweighs in a 24hr period at the same location. When using the app, after you select the location, it will ask if a reweigh. Then you can screenshot the weights on the app, no need to go inside to get a paper printout. I think KYD did an app review in the past, but there are plenty of other youtubes on it.

Our trailer is stored 22 miles from our house. The closest CAT scales are another 13 miles from the storage place. Fortunately, the last two times we went to the scales, there was no one using them and we were able to do multiple weighs.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/first-time-on-cat-scales-with-pb-and-tt.7811/post-178675

Ford F-150 How does my hitch height look? 1656496737877

OP
OP
jeepin95

jeepin95

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502A
I was able to weigh, but not at the one closest to my house. There was a line of trucks, and I dont' like to slow them down. I know I wasn't over on anything, so it was mostly just to dial things in. I did end up weighing a few hours down the road, but only a single pass since there wasn't really anywhere to drop the trailer and there were others waiting. The app does make it really simple, and I think it was $12 or $13 for the first pass. When I weighed last summer it was $12 for the first pass then $3 for each additional pass for the same rig at the same location for 24 hours. I never saw or talked to another person, it was all through the app, so I'm not sure how they confirm it to be the same rig.

The trailer did tow nicely, however I really miss the mileage that my Grand Cherokee gave (16MPG+ while towing this trailer) vs the truck is now at 9.5MPG with almost 400 miles towing this trailer. The trailer axle weight was identical to weighing we did last year. Our normal close place we like to go would regularly get 18-20MPG with the Jeep, I am curious how that will come out with the truck. I think the highest speed limit for that hour trip is 55. The speeds on this first voyage got up to 70 although we mostly stuck to 65.

It is an entirely different feeling driving the truck vs what the Jeep was, I don't feel nearly as connected to the road. I could certainly feel the crosswind more, but I don't think that was my towing setup as much as just the truck since I also noticed it more without the trailer. It will take some getting used to, but aside from the MPG I am happy.

While I know diesel Grand Cherokee vs F150 PB is an apples to orange comparison, I see a lot of other people reporting significantly better mileage with heaver trailers, although they may not be quite the sail that this is if they are utility type trailers. I'm curious if a full canopy would change how the wind hits the front of the trailer and would improve the MPG.

Roscopcoletrain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT...on order
Post up your scale report 👍

OP
OP
jeepin95

jeepin95

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat Powerboost 502A
Post up your scale report 👍
This is with 3 of us in the truck, our 3 bikes, a cooler of drinks and a chair in the back. We filled the tank 100 yards from the scales, the trailer had about 6 gallons of water onboard but otherwise empty tanks and fully loaded for camping.

Ford F-150 How does my hitch height look? SmartSelect_20220704-074715_Weigh My Truck
Sponsored

Last edited: