Aftermarket hitch

hedge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350
I have a '23 on order, moving down from an F350. With the 350 I was towing my small travel trailer <5000 GVWR. With the 350 I was not using a weight distribution hitch, I have one but tried with and without and didn't find any difference.

I may not use it with the 150 either but may have to because of the low tongue weight rating of the hitch (500lbs I believe, I need ~700). So would upgrading the hitch solve the tongue weight issue or is it baked into the entire truck ie frame? not to be rude, but I know how a WD works so don't need the explanation of the benefits, just don't enjoy the small hassle of hooking them up.

So has anyone installed an aftermarket hitch? Is there a 2 1/2" model out there so I could use the ball mounts from my F350?
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
So would upgrading the hitch solve the tongue weight issue or is it baked into the entire truck ie frame?
To that question I suggest the tongue weight is directly limited by the receiver rating, then indirectly by the various payload, GAWRs and GCWR.

IOW, an up-rated frame-mounted receiver would allow higher tongue weight within the limits of the resulting actual payload, axle, and combined rig weights (none which are likely to be an issue with the trailer you mention though of course other cargo in the truck might be a factor).

Sorry, I'm not aware of any 2-1/2" receivers specifically designed for bolt-up to the Gen 14 F150 frame (doesn't mean they aren't out there), but there's several 2" rated for 900-1000# TW (without WDH) and specific to the Gen 14 on the USA etrailer.com website. I'm sure you can find those + others in Canada.

Wishing you the best on sourcing your new F150 and related towing gear, all should be do-able as you describe.

BTW, congrats on keeping that actual tongue-weight generously above 10% with your ~5000# trailer; IMO a good choice to inherently preclude trailer sway (with or without a WDH) (y)

Last edited:
OP
OP

hedge

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 F350
thanks, yes I've found an interesting hitch on the etrailer site with 1000lbs tongue weight and mounts below the factory hitch. Could look a bit odd with dual receivers but I'm sort of used to it as I had a dual receiver Torklift hitch on one of my past trucks (common with truck campers for the extension)

I think the tongue weight is more than expected because I'm normally carrying fresh water and the tank is right at the front. I don't think they expect anyone to carry water considering the way the tank was mounted... had to do quite a bit of reinforcing.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
unsolicited follow-up ....
.... just don't enjoy the small hassle of hooking them up.
Having towed rigs with and without WDH I'm with you on that sentiment ;)

As you obviously realize WDHs have their place and are great when needed, but they do incur a 'price' insofar as convenience and ease of hookup.

Just FYI, with a rig that was on the cusp of needing a WDH to address excessive tow-vehicle sag I found joy with a set of simple 'load-leveler' airbags. Using those to address the slightly more than desirable rear-axle sag had the effect of also slightly reducing front-axle lift, bringing my headlights back to an acceptable aim which was my main objective given lots of night-towing with that rig. I was happy to enjoy many miles without a WDH on that nice-handling setup which allowed me to maintain my preferred generous tongue-weight bias.

Confident that you'll take a look at the overall situation when your new F150 and trailer finally meet-up, but if you find you're near the 'sag borderline' perhaps ^that's^ an option just for your consideration.

Happy Trailering!
Sponsored