First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
@Samson16 Don’t want to give the regular 3.5L EB buyers remorse with that 28MPG you’re getting 😁
Ha! Well, it was the 3.5l Ecoboosts' reputation that gave me the courage to take a leap with the Powerboost to begin with.
Sponsored

astro_fusion

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 supercab, 1990 Bronco II
Occupation
Engineer
Supercab, 3.31, level puck, tonneau cover, 50% 60-80mph 50% 1st gear traffic. Haven't done any longer road trips or heavy towing yet. Had a soft shell, and with that on it took about a MPG hit. Always run 91 also.

Ford F-150 Horrible MPG? IMG_0578

OP
OP

SomebodyInGNV

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 4WD 301A 3.5L w/ HDPP
Occupation
retired
I just filled the tank yesterday and will calculate my mileage based on that, but it will take awhile. I don't drive it much and am traveling out of town next week, as well. (Not with the truck.) Over 30 miles driven since fill-up (1/2 highway), the trip gauge shows 16.5 MPG.

Yason84

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XLT, 2012 Buick Verano
@Samson16 Don’t want to give the regular 3.5L EB buyers remorse with that 28MPG you’re getting 😁
Kind of a childish remark… Why would they have buyer’s remorse? PB and EB have different purposes with different pros and cons. 3.5L EB owners chose that power train option over the PB for a reason…. On the freeway at 75+ the regular 3.5L is going to return better mpgs plus it has a higher towing capacity and payload and a larger gas tank. The battery, electric motor and brake generators are all but deadweight at those speeds. Same goes when towing. Sure you can try to coast the truck into staying in electric mode but that can get tedious after a while on a 10-12 hour drive and not to mention you‘re likely having to cruise at a slower speed. Who the hell wants to drive across Texas at less than 70 miles an hour? I’ve made that trip many times going 68 in a 2500HD. As far as city mpg goes—Yeah it’s nice if the PB is my sole choice of transportation, but I can drive my 4 cylinder Accord thru the streets of New Orleans like I stole it and still get better mpg.
Again, I’m not crapping on the PB, it is a nice power train—I like the 7.2kw generator, the heavier frame, the added horsepower and torque, and the idea of being able to sit in the air conditioning while my wife is shopping her brains out at Kohls and Belk without concern of burning gas and overheating the engine. But it’s just not the best option for a long haul highway cruiser IMHO and it’s gvwr gimps its towing and payload when you start adding options and higher trims. If Ford could bump the gvwr up by an additional 300 lbs and put a 36 gallon tank in it (at least in the 157” wb) it’d be an awesome rig.

udelaware30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SCREW 2.7 4x4
@Yason84 It was intended a lighthearted joke. You can tell this by the goofy smile after. This is a very informative response though, and indeed added more than my comment. Thanks!

Sponsored

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
@Yason84
You posted this in January
“As long as I can merge and pass with confidence carrying a full load uphill, and get ~20 mpg going 75+, I’m happy as pig in the mud.”

20mpg at 80mph for me and my PB. Pics are posted multiple times.

It’s true I need to stop for fuel every 600 miles or so. The horror!

If you get a tune to keep up with the PB does the mpg suffer? 😉😎

Yason84

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
@Yason84
You posted this in January
“As long as I can merge and pass with confidence carrying a full load uphill, and get ~20 mpg going 75+, I’m happy as pig in the mud.”

20mpg at 80mph for me and my PB. Pics are posted multiple times.

It’s true I need to stop for fuel every 600 miles or so. The horror!

If you get a tune to keep up with the PB does the mpg suffer? 😉😎
Why would I have to worry about keeping up? If I wanted a fast truck, I would get a Lightning, or a Rivian, or a TRX, or even a Whippled 5.0….
Besides, I’ve seen PB vs EB drags on YouTube, the PB wins by maybe a truck length in a quarter mile….whoopdy do.

If I spec out a 157” Lariat Powerboost, what’s the payload penalty vs an Ecoboost or Coyote?

Stopping every 800 miles is a lot better than 600. You got 20 mpg at 80 mph without doing anything but setting the cruise and forgetting about it? Cuz I don’t want to be fiddling with it the entire trip.

Last edited:

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Why would I have to worry about keeping up? If I wanted a fast truck, I would get a Lightning, or a Rivian, or a TRX, or even a Whippled 5.0….
Besides, I’ve seen PB vs EB drags on YouTube, the PB wins by maybe a truck length in a quarter mile….whoopdy do.

If I spec out a 157” Lariat Powerboost, what’s the payload penalty vs an Ecoboost or Coyote?

Stopping every 800 miles is a lot better than 600. You got 20 mpg at 80 mph without doing anything but setting the cruise and forgetting about it? Cuz I don’t want to be fiddling with it the entire trip.
Well I searched the forum a bit and the highest payload for a 157” Lariat PB is #1831 but that is a 2wd version. You haven’t stated whether your dream truck needs 4wd. If it does then 1500s somewhere while the 3.5EB can reach 1900 with 4wd.

Yes I use cruise control and still get twenty in eco mode. I do a little better still in normal without cruise. The weight is not the deciding factor at 80mph. It’s the shape of our trucks against the wind that rules.
You claim the EB can go 800 miles at 80mph. That’s impressive and would love to see the evidence.

I think the EB gets marginally better highway mileage and certainly has more published payload capacity apples to apples.
As for me I wouldn’t trade my 302A PB for a Lariat EB. I’d be giving up too much truck for leather seats.

Yason84

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well I searched the forum a bit and the highest payload for a 157” Lariat PB is #1831 but that is a 2wd version. You haven’t stated whether your dream truck needs 4wd. If it does then 1500s somewhere while the 3.5EB can reach 1900 with 4wd.

Yes I use cruise control and still get twenty in eco mode. I do a little better still in normal without cruise. The weight is not the deciding factor at 80mph. It’s the shape of our trucks against the wind that rules.
You claim the EB can go 800 miles at 80mph. That’s impressive and would love to see the evidence.

I think the EB gets marginally better highway mileage and certainly has more published payload capacity apples to apples.
As for me I wouldn’t trade my 302A PB for a Lariat EB. I’d be giving up too much truck for leather seats.
Never claimed at 80 mph, my mistake, I was using figures from a slower speed. Weight doesn’t matter? Why do gas powered Super Duties burn more fuel at 70 than F150s burn at 80? The aerodynamics are not that much different but the weight sure is. If the weight didn’t matter, the super duty should get similar gas mileage regardless of engine displacement.

Anyway, those that choose the EB over the PB is mainly for the payload rating. Payload and towing capacity go hand in hand. The tongue weight of a trailer has to be 10% of its loaded weight. 10000 lb trailer is gonna eat up 2/3rds of a 4WD lariat PB. Heck a 302a PB is probably what? 1600?

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Aviation systems
Never claimed at 80 mph, my mistake, I was using figures from a slower speed. Weight doesn’t matter? Why do gas powered Super Duties burn more fuel at 70 than F150s burn at 80? The aerodynamics are not that much different but the weight sure is. If the weight didn’t matter, the super duty should get similar gas mileage regardless of engine displacement.

Anyway, those that choose the EB over the PB is mainly for the payload rating. Payload and towing capacity go hand in hand. The tongue weight of a trailer has to be 10% of its loaded weight. 10000 lb trailer is gonna eat up 2/3rds of a 4WD lariat PB. Heck a 302a PB is probably what? 1600?
1624 so yes. I would argue that if you plan on towing a 10,000lb. trailer regularly you should consider a Super Duty anyway. The PowerBoost payload sticker is a limiting factor in the upper trims no doubt, but it outperforms every other F-150 with effortless power and efficiency. The 3.5/5.0 are a better apples to apples ability comparison.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
My 302a Piggyboost had a factory payload of 1460. It's now around 1300 w/ mods per the stickers factory rating. Personally my limits for towing are to keep the rear axle within its 4150 rating and keep GVWR to 7700lbs.
Sponsored