OP

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Reserved, 2022 Platinum on Order
Sat in a platinum today, I think the interior is what did it for me. It's a lot nicer than the lariat sport.

Yes, it's too much chrome, but it doesn't seem that difficult or expensive to color-match the handles, mirrors, and tailgate. Toss some gloss black vinyl on the running boards and around the windows, and I think it'll be a really nice subtle truck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
What are everyone's thoughts on the fx4 package?

As mentioned, If I'm going to do anything, it'll be lower the truck before raising it. I'm not going off road, but this truck will be my daily driver in Canada.

SuperClyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ram 1500 TRX Sandblast Edition
I wanted a 21 Platinum in AMB, but decided I couldn’t deal with the chrome. I ended up buying a Lariat 502A Sport in Carbonized Gray off the lot. Every time I saw a Platinum in AMB I regretted it. Now I’m ordering a 22 Platinum in AMB with BAP since I received a $3000 PCO.

My advice… get the Platinum with BAP.

As for FX4, my current Lariat has it, but my Platinum order doesn’t. I’d rather have onboard scales and CCD.

SmokinOkie

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat
I have a Lariat chrome package with painted front and rear bumpers. Kinda looks like a platinum from the side. I love the all black interior and hated the sport ones with red/brown. Also have an STX grill to replace chrome one.

Ford F-150 Help Me Decide: Lariat vs Platinum 549269D2-C73F-4C09-B065-81C551945F4F

Ford F-150 Help Me Decide: Lariat vs Platinum 2AC1DB35-F317-4451-8B88-6C605BD708B1

Sponsored

OP
OP

jfried

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I wanted a 21 Platinum in AMB, but decided I couldn’t deal with the chrome. I ended up buying a Lariat 502A Sport in Carbonized Gray off the lot. Every time I saw a Platinum in AMB I regretted it. Now I’m ordering a 22 Platinum in AMB with BAP since I received a $3000 PCO.

My advice… get the Platinum with BAP.

As for FX4, my current Lariat has it, but my Platinum order doesn’t. I’d rather have onboard scales and CCD.
The Black Appearance Package is admittedly a REALLY tough one for me. I'm admittedly not a fan of chrome, but do think AMB looks nice with some lighter accents.

Pros:
-Body-Colored Handles
-Body-Colored Mirrors
-I think I SLIGHTLY prefer the all-black interior vs black with the brown accents.. but it's slight.
-Wheels -- while I don't particularly care for the plat wheels in either colour, the black ones would theoretically make for some good winter wheels.

Cons:
- Hood -- I think I prefer the standard hood in terms of flowing with the lines of the truck.
- $1500 that would certainly "resolve" the handles, mirrors, and grille painting.
-Lead Time? I'm thinking with it being a new package, it'll probably delay my lead time on a new order a bit.

Both Have Issues:

- Grille -- I much prefer the regular platinum grille, even with all the chrome/satin. My thought/plan was to paint the center-bar AMB, to hopefully quiet it down a bit. Ultimately, if on the BAP, I'd have to go source a new grille AND then still go ahead and paint it.

- Tailgate -- I'm nervous with AMB and black playing together because of how dark AMB is and not getting enough contrast between the two. Ultimately, I think the "right solution" for me is to have that panel body-coloured... in which case theoretically I'm better off with the chrome one, I guess. The rear in this video is sweet IMO.

Doesn't Matter

- Running Boards, Side Emblems, Front Chrome Lip & Tow Hooks -- Ultimately these would be easy to cover black vinyl... although I think they may be the "right amount" of chrome for AMB.

Last edited:

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
OP, I basically wanted the exact same truck as you (except white). My requirements changed as time went on. Here's my story - Sorry that it's a little bit long. I tried to summarize as best as possible.

For me, my original budget goal for a F-150 was less than $70K out the door and to get the best trim and options I could get.

At the time I 1st started looking at 2021 F-150's back in Oct 2020 all the way up until Feb 2021 I thought I could get a Platinum V8 with the Active 2.0 Co-Pilot and max recline seats, moonroof.. but then the chip shortage threw my whole plan for a Platinum out the window. To be honest, I was on the fence on the Platinum because I didn't like the tailgate. Also, when I looked at Sports appearance packages on the dealership lot I started thinking that those trucks looked the best on the outside, but they were all 2020 XL/XLT's.

From around Aug 2021 until I bought my truck in Oct 2021 I was fairly settled on a Lariat with Active 2.0 Co-Pilot and to get out the door at less than $65K, but after driving several F150 with different drive trains I switched my priority from a V8 to the Powerboost...I don't regret that decision to go Powerboost, but guess what, that decision put me above my budget again. To be fair, I could have possibly ordered a truck and gone 3-5% below invoice and come close with all the options I wanted, but there were too many horror stories of people waiting a long time and I didn't want to put a deposit down on a long term wait.

Then I found the truck I have now.

Ford F-150 Help Me Decide: Lariat vs Platinum 246640673_4761963213833969_7747454340226878154_n

It is an XLT 302A FX4, Powerboost, 7.2KW, Co-Pilot Assist 2.0, 360 Camera's, Max-Tow...it's very well loaded and in some ways more than the Platinum or Lariat that I originally intended to buy. The truck was on the lot and I was out the door for about $63K (Tax, Tags, Title). So, what did I really give up with my XLT? I gave up Active 2.0 Co-Pilot, 4 Auto, Active Park Assist, leather/massage seats, cooled seats, projector headlights, LED tail lights, heated steering wheel, B&O sound system (available on XLT), and the moonroof (available on XLT). I think that is pretty much it. There wasn't enough value to me in spending another $9-15K on a F-150 (Lariat or Platinum).

The 2.0 Co-Pilot Assist does pretty much the same thing as Active 2.0 Co-Pilot except you can not keep your hands off the steering wheel for more than about 15 seconds at a time. I think 4 Auto is needed more if you do not know what you are doing (shift in and out of 4 High), but it is a little more than a nicety in some situations. The Quad LED front lights are very good and put out about the same amount of light as the projector LED. Leather can be added for about $2K after market if you really want that, but I think that the cloth seats are very comfortable plus they do not need to be cooled. I'd love a heated steering wheel, but I can live without it. As far as the B&O sound system, you would be surprised how good the standard system sounds, but if you wanted to upgrade, that money is better spent in the aftermarket in my opinion. As far as the moonroof is concerned, I liked that option, but there is peace of mind that comes with not having a roof that can leak - So, I could take or leave the moonroof.

So, you made it all the way this far. I think I know the truck that you want....a Tremor :)

Last edited:

RR89

First Name
Poindexter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 PowerBoost
Mostly the same as everyone else...

I wanted the Sport package without chrome and didn't want the ugly tailgate banner to let everyone know you bought a Platinum.
Atlas Blue
Big one for me is I don't want 20" wheels which come standard with the Platinum but are optional on the Lariat. For me, the 18s ride so much nicer on the highway and over garbage roads.

I ordered a 22 loaded Lariat without a sunroof, almost 73K on the sticker. Ouch...
Sponsored