Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Does anyone know of a video that shows the best way to route the harness across the dash? I'm hoping that I don't need to pull it apart, but if I do, I can use the opportunity to also install my hill descent control switch thats been sitting around for a while.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brad34

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a 3.5 Ecoboost Screw
Does anyone know of a video that shows the best way to route the harness across the dash? I'm hoping that I don't need to pull it apart, but if I do, I can use the opportunity to also install my hill descent control switch thats been sitting around for a while.
I'm not aware of a video, but that was by far the worst part of the install for me. Use a coat hanger wire or something similar to feed it through. Just be patient. I did not take any part of the dash apart.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
You can run a fish tape or wire hanger from the drivers side of gear selector switch to the glove box, just take off the L-shaped trim pieces on the sides of the center console. It take a little bit of finagling, but it's a lot better than pulling everything apart. I have done this a few times for HSW and headlamp upgrades.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
bruhhh why the hell is the clock spring with the eletric tilt and telescope cheaper than the manual adjusting ones 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️
Doesn't matter which you use. The current parts in mine are from dolsen's with the electric telescope control removed (2 screws). Not sure if the auto wiper really matters. My truck has them so it was required, if it's not required but the assembly used, not sure if it matters or not.

Ford's part pricing is stock/demand based.

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
Doesn't matter which you use. The current parts in mine are from dolsen's with the electric telescope control removed (2 screws). Not sure if the auto wiper really matters. My truck has them so it was required, if it's not required but the assembly used, not sure if it matters or not.

Ford's part pricing is stock/demand based.
why did dolsen give you his stuff lmao?

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
why did dolsen give you his stuff lmao?
When he traded in his 501 after converting it to a 502, he'd taken the parts back out and put them up on the auction block. I was more than happy to give them a new home.

bhoward3294

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 XLT
Ttt
The following is contributed by Scott Maxson on the forum on XLT302A retrofit.

After looking at the nearly 80 pages of the Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit. I found no concise XLT install steps. Below is what I did for my XLT 302A 5.0 FX4 after reviewing the Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit forum and Livnitup's FORScan - 2021-23 F150 spreadsheets.
If you find it appropriate you could add this to the list on page one of the Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit forum.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
HSW Changes for XLT 302A
Parts

OEM Heated Steering Wheel: ML3Z-3600-RA or equivalent after market wheel.
OEM Steering Column Control Module (SCCM): ML3Z-3F791-BB
OEM replacement steering wheel bolt (new, never installed): W721079-S437
Harness from jscaro

* HVAC hardware button solution not known for XLT. Soft screen switch needed to make HSW work for XLT enabling Super Duty climate side card.

1. Using FORScan back up all AsBuilt modules (SCCM, APIM, IPC and HVAC minimum) prior to installing parts.
2. Once heated steering wheel, new SCCM and power wire installation is complete.
3. Restored the SCCM saved (AsBuilt) settings to the new SCCM
4. Enabled heated steering wheel in SCCM, APIM, IPC and HVAC with FORScan tool

I started with the 501A steps...

Used these for my XLT 302A 5.0 V8 FX4 with 360 camera and rear window defrost.

APIM 7D0-02-01 xxxx *xxx xx-- change '1' to '5' - CFZ dual zone / SA enable / RC No / HSW available
APIM 7D0-02-02 x*xx xxxx xx-- change '4' to '6' - CAHSW enable / MD on / FDZDLB dual button
APIM 7D0-03-02 **xx xxxx xx-- set to “10” super duty
HVAC 733-01-02 xxx* xxxx xx-- change 1 to 9 - HSW yes / HW no / BPC no / FI yes
IPC 720-05-02 *xxx xx-- change 2 to 3 - HC disable / H enable / HSW enable
SCCM 724-01-01 xxxx *xxx change '0' to '8'- enable HSW
SCCM 724-03-01 x*xx xxxx set LH steering wheel switch SWSLHC to '2' match your switch type (mine had Lane Keep, Lariat has Adaptive Cruise)
SCCM 724-06-01 *xxx xxxx “B” 35 degrees C (typical factory setting)
SCCM 724-06-01 x*xx xxxx “0” no HSW timeout (always on)

If you want HSW on remote start, make these changes at....

APIM 7D0-09-01 xxxx-xxxx-x*-- add '4 bit' to what's there RSSW enabled
IPC 720-02-02 xxxx-x*-- add '4 bit' to what's there RSSW enabled

Stop here and backup module changes

Power cycle truck and test HSW and heated seats .
My XLT 302 A does not have adaptive cruise, only lane keeping. The new wheel has both buttons on the left. Will there be any issues or any additional programming to address this? Thanks
The following is contributed by Scott Maxson on the forum on XLT302A retrofit.

After looking at the nearly 80 pages of the Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit. I found no concise XLT install steps. Below is what I did for my XLT 302A 5.0 FX4 after reviewing the Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit forum and Livnitup's FORScan - 2021-23 F150 spreadsheets.
If you find it appropriate you could add this to the list on page one of the Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit forum.
_____________________________________________________________________________________
HSW Changes for XLT 302A
Parts

OEM Heated Steering Wheel: ML3Z-3600-RA or equivalent after market wheel.
OEM Steering Column Control Module (SCCM): ML3Z-3F791-BB
OEM replacement steering wheel bolt (new, never installed): W721079-S437
Harness from jscaro

* HVAC hardware button solution not known for XLT. Soft screen switch needed to make HSW work for XLT enabling Super Duty climate side card.

1. Using FORScan back up all AsBuilt modules (SCCM, APIM, IPC and HVAC minimum) prior to installing parts.
2. Once heated steering wheel, new SCCM and power wire installation is complete.
3. Restored the SCCM saved (AsBuilt) settings to the new SCCM
4. Enabled heated steering wheel in SCCM, APIM, IPC and HVAC with FORScan tool

I started with the 501A steps...

Used these for my XLT 302A 5.0 V8 FX4 with 360 camera and rear window defrost.

APIM 7D0-02-01 xxxx *xxx xx-- change '1' to '5' - CFZ dual zone / SA enable / RC No / HSW available
APIM 7D0-02-02 x*xx xxxx xx-- change '4' to '6' - CAHSW enable / MD on / FDZDLB dual button
APIM 7D0-03-02 **xx xxxx xx-- set to “10” super duty
HVAC 733-01-02 xxx* xxxx xx-- change 1 to 9 - HSW yes / HW no / BPC no / FI yes
IPC 720-05-02 *xxx xx-- change 2 to 3 - HC disable / H enable / HSW enable
SCCM 724-01-01 xxxx *xxx change '0' to '8'- enable HSW
SCCM 724-03-01 x*xx xxxx set LH steering wheel switch SWSLHC to '2' match your switch type (mine had Lane Keep, Lariat has Adaptive Cruise)
SCCM 724-06-01 *xxx xxxx “B” 35 degrees C (typical factory setting)
SCCM 724-06-01 x*xx xxxx “0” no HSW timeout (always on)

If you want HSW on remote start, make these changes at....

APIM 7D0-09-01 xxxx-xxxx-x*-- add '4 bit' to what's there RSSW enabled
IPC 720-02-02 xxxx-x*-- add '4 bit' to what's there RSSW enabled

Stop here and backup module changes

Power cycle truck and test HSW and heated seats .
I purchased the same parts for my 22 XLT 302A that was listed above. My truck only has lane keep and not adaptive cruise. The new wheel actually has both of those buttons on the left side. Has anyone else come across this that has an XLT and is there any additional programming necessary? Or will the adaptive cruise button just not function. I don't want to get some sort of error in the end. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
Ttt

My XLT 302 A does not have adaptive cruise, only lane keeping. The new wheel has both buttons on the left. Will there be any issues or any additional programming to address this? Thanks

I purchased the same parts for my 22 XLT 302A that was listed above. My truck only has lane keep and not adaptive cruise. The new wheel actually has both of those buttons on the left side. Has anyone else come across this that has an XLT and is there any additional programming necessary? Or will the adaptive cruise button just not function. I don't want to get some sort of error in the end. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
You can just swap the left side buttons on your current wheel over to the new wheel.

Rineland

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 XLT 302A 4x4 CCSB 3.5L EB
Occupation
Engineer
Ttt

You can swap the controls as @Je1279 mentioned, or you can leave them and change 724-03-01 03XX XXXX — in the SCCM. The distance button for ACC won’t do anything, it’s a dead button and doesn’t throw any errors or silent codes. It’ll just sit there as a reminder for your next project should you choose to dive down that rabbit hole…

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/adding-co-pilot-assist-2-0-with-forscan.5028/

TLDR: you can add adaptive cruise control in the future if you wish. That button will come in handy if you do.

ProperCrab

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Single Cab 4x4, 2022 Crew Cab 2WD
Occupation
Commercial Project Estimator
I only removed the sides on the center console and fished it through
Ford F-150 Heated Steering Wheel Retrofit - updated with information 0

Sponsored

bhoward3294

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 XLT
You can swap the controls as @Je1279 mentioned, or you can leave them and change 724-03-01 03XX XXXX — in the SCCM. The distance button for ACC won’t do anything, it’s a dead button and doesn’t throw any errors or silent codes. It’ll just sit there as a reminder for your next project should you choose to dive down that rabbit hole…

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/adding-co-pilot-assist-2-0-with-forscan.5028/

TLDR: you can add adaptive cruise control in the future if you wish. That button will come in handy if you do.
Thank you and @Je1279 for the response. I ended up leaving the button. Got everything installed and it works great! Thanks again.

ReverendQ

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.linkedin.com
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT PowerBoost 302A Avalanche BAP
Occupation
Engineer
EDIT: I believe I have found one.
Does anyone have an HVAC with heated and cooled buttons but not the HSW button, a take-off from doing the HSW modification perhaps, that they no longer need. I am adding cooled seats to my 302A and could optionally use one at a great price :)

Last edited: