Sponsored

Having second thoughts….should I cancel my order?

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
I came out of an 09 Tundra. Waited a long time for the Gen3 Tundra only to be disappointed in the lack of competitive features like there was when they took real shots at the rest of the class in 2007.

So now I'm in the position of having to give up on Toyota legendary Reliability and roll the dice getting back into a Domestic for the first time in 13 years. On top of that once I spotted the 7.2 kw system on a truck at a lot I ended up bypassing the 5.0 and rolling the dice on the first year of the Powerboost, one of the most complicated power trains in the mass market.

12K and a year later everything is going great with it. I go to the Tundra forum I've stayed on to read up. First the 2022 Tundras were going into limp mode over the turbo waste gate. They fixed that, but now you have interior air leak problems, rattles, things breaking on the interior, other Tundras going down for engine problems. Toyota will probably sort it all out at some point. OR certain things may remain problematic through the design cycle. Who knows. This truck was delayed for a few years but they managed not to get all this squared away even in that extra development time.

You could do a Ram and risk exhaust manifold leaks or electrical problems that can plague some. A Chevy, and risk AFM issues or lifter problems.

I just decided what I liked best features wise and looks wise and took my shot. If something goes wrong that's what warranties, buy backs and early trade ins are for. If you want something not known for having any early low mileage quality problems Idonno, maybe corollas still fit that bill.
I was all Toyota for my last umteen vehicles, but didn't want a Tundra when I decided on full size. I would take a V8 Tundra for reliability's sake but that's way too boring and I wanted new. Aside from new Tundras being fuuuug leee, I also read up on the issues owners are experiencing and because of that, didn't even go drive one. The front end looks like a carp/catfish, and the F150 is light years ahead on interior features. Not to mention Toyota cant even get their 5 and 6 speed transmissions to shift correctly, even on platforms that they've been using for a decade. I've had a 4Runner and several Tacomas and they needed to be tuned to drive halfway decent. I wouldn't trust a 10 speed roll out from them for a while.

And yeah GM interior is (finally) on par with Ford, but the GM 5.3's still burn oil, after how many years, and I didn't want a 6.2L.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Kangio

Kangio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB Platinum RR BAP in production 4/5/23
Agree, not a fan of the Tundra look, but haven't driven one. I really like the drive and features in the F150's that I've driven so far, will just need to assume the risk that goes with most new vehicles.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
Agree, not a fan of the Tundra look, but haven't driven one. I really like the drive and features in the F150's that I've driven so far, will just need to assume the risk that goes with most new vehicles.
Even with my first week issues, I still vote to stick with the F150. Modern software driven cars are going to be a headache no matter what. Get the one with the looks, ride, and features you want.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
My first F150 is now in production (F150 4x4 PF Platinum 701A BAP), and I have never been so excited about a new car or truck. Unfortunately I’ve spent much of my time recently skimming the forum threads and trying to learn more about this truck. Two issues that really concern me are the “pedal vibration” and the “rough idle” problems that many have posted about.

I get it, usually forums over represent the problems people are experiencing, but some of these threads make it sound like these two problems are inevitable.. I can’t imagine getting stuck with an $80k+ vehicle that doesn’t provide a smooth and comfortable ride.

Can anyone talk me off the ledge, please!
I don't keep up with every thread on this forum, but I read a lot of them, and I honestly don't recall ever seeing many people complaining about pedal vibrations or rough idling. It may be happening in some cases (as the others posting in this thread have already confirmed), but I don't believe that it's endemic to the F150, or to powerboosts in general. I can only give you my experience, and neither situation has ever happened to me. I would recommend that you take anecdotal examples that you read on forums (including mine) with a huge handful of salt, because any one of those is only one example of the millions of vehicles sold, and is not representative of the vehicle as a whole. If anything, I would recommend leaning towards the silence-bias, because the millions of satisfied owners generally don't post to say "this is working as advertised".

I second @Buyer2021 's advice to testdrive before you purchase.

Uncle_Booty

First Name
Glen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 302A SCrew 5.0 157" 4x4
Occupation
Commercial Truck Leasing
What I presume is an IWE issue that occurred on my new truck recently has not made me regret my purchase one bit.

Ford saw my posts about it on this forum and is actively starting a case history in an effort to investigate it. What more could I expect from them?

I have had no sync issues, no update issues, no oil consumption problems, shifting problems or anything else.

There is only one other truck that I would even consider owning at this point. I love my F-150 so far.

Keep your order and enjoy it!

Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
I haven't been in any automatic transmission car that didn't have vibration at idle in gear. In park/neutral I have no problems. For a Powerboost truck, vibrations are worse if the battery is charging.

It has been some time since I've seen any vibrating pedal rants as well. When I saw them now, it seemed to be primarily trucks with adjustable pedals. I've never had an issue in mine.

Also, if these two issues are significant enough that you'd consider not buying a vehicle, you're going to have a tough time finding anything to drive.

gtotco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 502A FX4 3.5L
I haven't been in any automatic transmission car that didn't have vibration at idle in gear. In park/neutral I have no problems. For a Powerboost truck, vibrations are worse if the battery is charging.

It has been some time since I've seen any vibrating pedal rants as well. When I saw them now, it seemed to be primarily trucks with adjustable pedals. I've never had an issue in mine.

Also, if these two issues are significant enough that you'd consider not buying a vehicle, you're going to have a tough time finding anything to drive.
I get the pedal vibration in my 502A and had read it was an adjustable pedal issue as well and that it predates this generation. Once I understood it was “normal” I stopped caring it’s noticeable but not terrible.

Never had any idle issues in my 3.5 eco boost but when it’s below 20 or so outside the transmission can be a bit wonky until it warms up. Only takes a few blocks but mine will occasionally rev high like it’s slipping and then just suddenly drop to the next gear. Can’t say I love it but I’ve experienced maybe 5-10 times in a little over two years of ownership.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
My last full size was also a tundra (gen 1) At the time it was a better platform. It's ride and comfort were a big jump for trucks at the time. My 22 PB is an even better platform. It's as quiet from the factory as the tundra that I had completely gutted the interior on and covered in sound suppression.

I also have a mach-e and for anything up to 100 miles, I generally drive it. It's not as comfortable as the F150, but my justification for that is that it's my beater, and when I drive it, I beat on it because it's an EV. For my trips that are often in the 1 mile range, it's perfect for it. It's a superb errand runner / grocery getter, and pretty much anything that fits in it. If there was any realistic expectation of getting a pro model F150 at the price ford announced it at, I would have gotten it instead. They really screwed over reservation holders with the little battery only and only building a very small amount of them.

The F150 will either be great or have an issue -- just like every other vehicle on the market. If it's bad, ford will buy it back.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche

I can handle vibrations. After all, I have a 2 door Wrangler with MTs and every bit of it vibrates and I truly love that vehicle. What concerns me is actually the grinding feeling in the F150 pedal that worsens in cold weather, and as of this morning, the bad wheel bearing type noise after toggling 4X4. The dealer agrees it’s a bad IWE.

So, while vibrations in the adjustable pedal may be a characteristic of the vehicle, I believe that it can be exacerbated by other issues.

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
Rough idle at times, yes. Particularly if Eco Idle is enabled with your PowerBoost. However, the idle vibration isn't noticeable in MOST situations, and obviously idling in electric-only is a huge plus.

I had a somewhat annoying pedal vibration early on, but it's either gone away over time, or I've adjusted to it and no longer notice.

The recent OTA powertrain module updates have significantly smoothed-out my shifting and ICE/EV transitions.

This truck does have some quirks, but they all do. None of the trucks out there right now seem to be a "master-of-all".

Sponsored

OP
OP
Kangio

Kangio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB Platinum RR BAP in production 4/5/23
My last full size was also a tundra (gen 1) At the time it was a better platform. It's ride and comfort were a big jump for trucks at the time. My 22 PB is an even better platform. It's as quiet from the factory as the tundra that I had completely gutted the interior on and covered in sound suppression.

I also have a mach-e and for anything up to 100 miles, I generally drive it. It's not as comfortable as the F150, but my justification for that is that it's my beater, and when I drive it, I beat on it because it's an EV. For my trips that are often in the 1 mile range, it's perfect for it. It's a superb errand runner / grocery getter, and pretty much anything that fits in it. If there was any realistic expectation of getting a pro model F150 at the price ford announced it at, I would have gotten it instead. They really screwed over reservation holders with the little battery only and only building a very small amount of them.

The F150 will either be great or have an issue -- just like every other vehicle on the market. If it's bad, ford will buy it back.
LOL, agree with Mach E great for errands, especially with parking. One gripe I have with that car is the bumpy suspension. Pretty ironic that the F150 has a smoother ride, and looking forward to its comfort on long drives, with no range anxiety.
Rough idle at times, yes. Particularly if Eco Idle is enabled with your PowerBoost. However, the idle vibration isn't noticeable in MOST situations, and obviously idling in electric-only is a huge plus.

I had a somewhat annoying pedal vibration early on, but it's either gone away over time, or I've adjusted to it and no longer notice.

The recent OTA powertrain module updates have significantly smoothed-out my shifting and ICE/EV transitions.

This truck does have some quirks, but they all do. None of the trucks out there right now seem to be a "master-of-all".
On my test drives at the dealership, I had no issue with the idle, and accepted the jump in low gears (? transitioning to ICE), figuring I'd find the right feathering of the pedal to minimize. Some cars do need to train their drivers.

Samson16

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT Powerboost Super Crew 4x4
Occupation
Aviation systems
My first F150 is now in production (F150 4x4 PF Platinum 701A BAP), and I have never been so excited about a new car or truck. Unfortunately I’ve spent much of my time recently skimming the forum threads and trying to learn more about this truck. Two issues that really concern me are the “pedal vibration” and the “rough idle” problems that many have posted about.

I get it, usually forums over represent the problems people are experiencing, but some of these threads make it sound like these two problems are inevitable.. I can’t imagine getting stuck with an $80k+ vehicle that doesn’t provide a smooth and comfortable ride.

That's some truck you have on order! Wow. At that price point I better get every option I'm owed. No deletes except start/stop. I don't care about their supply problems. I would not spend 80k and not get every little bit of what I paid for. My XLT should have had NAV(302A) but it didn't and they gave me this tiny little insulting credit. I use wireless apple carplay which is now fullscreen, but it still irks me. Should be my choice. I would also want 7.2kW ProPower. Do you want to have less capability than my XLT with your Platinum BAP? I don't think so. I wouldn't. Lastly, #payload comes into play at that trim level. Make sure it meets your needs. Other than that enjoy that gorgeous truck!

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
LOL, agree with Mach E great for errands, especially with parking. One gripe I have with that car is the bumpy suspension. Pretty ironic that the F150 has a smoother ride, and looking forward to its comfort on long drives, with no range anxiety.
I have a PE and keep it in unbridle exclusively so super tight is how it rides. The PE's don't suffer from the bounce all of the other versions have. It's just really firm in that mode. Plus I run at 42 psi so yeah. I can feel a dime in the road :ROFLMAO:

RT21KRH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 King Ranch 2013 Lariat
Occupation
Physicist

Maybe already mentioned but the “pedal vibration” or “rough idle” only occurs in my PB if I’m stopped at a light and only applying light brake pressure. Firm up the pressure and everything is smooth and quiet. I’ve always thought there is some brake fluid pressure threshold that when exceeded the software sends the drivetrain into quiet mode.
If you want smooth as silk get the 5.0, it doesn’t tow at high altitude as well as the turbo EB or PB however but you’ll get there.

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4 5.0
What I presume is an IWE issue that occurred on my new truck recently has not made me regret my purchase one bit.

Ford saw my posts about it on this forum and is actively starting a case history in an effort to investigate it. What more could I expect from them?

I have had no sync issues, no update issues, no oil consumption problems, shifting problems or anything else.

There is only one other truck that I would even consider owning at this point. I love my F-150 so far.

Keep your order and enjoy it!
I'd be careful about the early praise of Fords presence on these forums. I have an "active case history" from a ticket they opened last April that they've done absolutely nothing with, even after being called out on it. They're here for PR purposes.
Sponsored