First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I’ve had quite a few of the square Chevy pickups over the years, one was a short bed.
all have had the saddle tanks, and that was absolutely necessary on a full time 4x4. (Only 32 gallons and about 250-300 miles)
40-42 in the long ones.—about a 5-600 mile range for for most.
I liked the saddle tanks because I would run them dry, switch tanks and look for fuel at my leisure.
26 gallons in my 98 Chev—not nearly enough

big tank in the new Ford, Would not have it any other way. I only consider fueling on the weekends when just commuting, and then only every other week. It is nice to know that I can get to ElPaso without stopping for fuel.

hate getting gas—I’d almost rather someone stopped by once a week to fill up all the cars so I didn’t have to.
Sponsored

Merccat

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White Lariat SCAB 5.0 4x2
It depends on your commute… if this is a commuter vehicle for you and towing is rare then I don’t know if its a sure buy.

On the standard tank you can still get unloaded a 450 mile range highway which may meet your needs (it does mine). If you have a short commute maybe a standard tank would only be a once every couple week fill-up.

For me, I got a standard tank and with my typical use will probably only need to get gas once a month or so. If traveling it has enough range to reach any destination I typically visit without stopping for gas.

However, if towing was a larger part of my use case then I would have gotten it. If you think it will be, or have a long commute or tend to travel further than 400 miles on any regular basis or think you might in the future, get the bigger tank.

jamill

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat & 2020 GMC Acadia SLT
Occupation
Pipeline Operator
I say 'yes' if you are going for the V8. I just got a Lariat that has the 36 gal tank with the 5.0 and, while I drive a company vehicle most of the time, I've got 400-something miles on it in about a month and I'm right under 3/4 tank and it's from being fueled up by the dealer. I doubt that I'll ever really fill it up with as much as I drive it, because I don't want gas just sitting in there for long periods of time. My 2018 2.7l got good enough mileage to kinda split the difference between the larger gas tank. I drove that on Eco when it was my daily driver. I think in the little over a year I've had my company truck, I put 3k miles on it. So my new one will stay pristine for a while I hope! My family is about 7 hours away, so that extended fuel tank will help tons for road trips!

Southern Girl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150, 74 Bronco
Yes. I love mine. Do it and you will be happy on trips.

Louis

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.enormis.net
Vehicles
21 F150 Crew 3.5 Lariat Sport 502a 6.5bed FX4
Occupation
Biz Owner
Personally, I prefer the 36 gal tank...it means I save time by not having to stop at the gas station often.

As for your enticement of bonus points...

Must have: Tailgate step! Somewhere else in here I told the story of it being the only option I didn't ask for...and loving it more than any of the ones I did ask for!
Ditto!

Sponsored

OnceAnEagle

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F 150 Lariat Supercab Rapid Red
Occupation
Retired
Yes! I have it on my Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost 502A FX4 and you will appreciate the extended range: 640-700 miles normally. I typically fill at 1/2 tank remaining but like having the option to wait.

BigPaulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 FX4 5.0
Occupation
US Army (Ret)/GS Civilian
Love it. I just don't run it to empty. Do not like having to pay with gold Krugerrand 's.

decoy562

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Yes. I wanted it and the max tow for my camper. Worth it

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Always get as large a tank as possible. At some point, you will thank me.

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Honestly up to you, I didn't want it and didn't get it. I'm happy without it.

Sponsored

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
Yes yes yes. Absolutely yes. I have a 2020 5.0 s-crew with the 36-gallon tank, and it is a thrill to see how far you can go on one tank. I can drive from Pittsburgh to the Outer Banks, fully loaded with a grown family of 4, a dog, and a bed crammed with way too much sh!t ("really, girls?"), with just one quick, small top-off along the way for insurance. Yes, when you do finally fill a whole tank, it's a kick in the wallet, but you won't be back at a gas station for a long time.
With all my heart, yes.

JimL

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Bullitt, 2020 F-150
Occupation
Babylon 5 security
Personally, I prefer the 36 gal tank...it means I save time by not having to stop at the gas station often.

As for your enticement of bonus points...

Must have: Tailgate step! Somewhere else in here I told the story of it being the only option I didn't ask for...and loving it more than any of the ones I did ask for!
Yes to the Man Step! I wasn't going to get it, but I found a truck on the lot with everything I wanted, plus that. Wow, what a convenience! I will never be without one again. GM can keep their rust-magnet origami tailgate. Sometimes simple is better.

Detroit87

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 lariat
Occupation
Sub station operator
Yes to the Man Step! I wasn't going to get it, but I found a truck on the lot with everything I wanted, plus that. Wow, what a convenience! I will never be without one again. GM can keep their rust-magnet origami tailgate. Sometimes simple is better.
First time poster, long time lurker! I am about to factory order an F-150 (from Granger!) and wanted to see if y’all think I should opt for the 36 gallon fuel tank or save the money. I have no plans to tow and will be using the truck as a daily driver for commuting. Will the standard tank suffice?

Bonus points if anyone can suggest any other must-have options!
I'm sure you already bought, but I have one on my 19 and ordered it for the 22. So to anyone , the 36 is so worth it. Just for not having to fill up that much and for just for going on long trips.

3DogKnight

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Escape Titanium - 2021 F150 XLT
Occupation
100% retired
First time poster, long time lurker! I am about to factory order an F-150 (from Granger!) and wanted to see if y’all think I should opt for the 36 gallon fuel tank or save the money. I have no plans to tow and will be using the truck as a daily driver for commuting. Will the standard tank suffice?

Bonus points if anyone can suggest any other must-have options!
I know my post is very late but with possible gas shortages in the future a 36 gallon tank would be a nice feature to have.
Sponsored