Sponsored

Having second thoughts….should I cancel my order?

Kangio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB Platinum RR BAP in production 4/5/23
My first F150 is now in production (F150 4x4 PF Platinum 701A BAP), and I have never been so excited about a new car or truck. Unfortunately I’ve spent much of my time recently skimming the forum threads and trying to learn more about this truck. Two issues that really concern me are the “pedal vibration” and the “rough idle” problems that many have posted about.

I get it, usually forums over represent the problems people are experiencing, but some of these threads make it sound like these two problems are inevitable.. I can’t imagine getting stuck with an $80k+ vehicle that doesn’t provide a smooth and comfortable ride.

Can anyone talk me off the ledge, please!
Sponsored

Je1279

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT 5.0 SuperCrew 4x4 BAP
I can tell you that I had similar concerns when my '23 5.0 was on order. However, since taking delivery earlier this month, I haven't noticed a single problem with it. Granted, that is a very small sample size, but my truck has shown no issues from the factory. Ultimately, the choice is yours, but know there are also trucks that arrive without issue.

GraffiX

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Platinum PB
I've had my truck for 6 months now, also my first F150, and fortunately have not run into the issues others are having. The only annoying issue I have come across is the issue with Sync and android auto, and the passenger window rebounding every so often.

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150
Only have had my 2022 PB since January. Haven’t had and concerns. No rough idle or vibration. Usually the issues are a small sample size. Good luck with your build!

OP
OP
Kangio

Kangio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I've had my truck for 6 months now, also my first F150, and fortunately have not run into the issues others are having. The only annoying issue I have come across is the issue with Sync and android auto, and the passenger window rebounding every so often.
I am well familiar with Sync and Carplay issues with my ’21 MachE, but at least the software problems are intermittently improved OTA.

Not exactly a valid poll, but still reassuring to hear from happy owner:-
Only have had my 2022 PB since January. Haven’t had and concerns. No rough idle or vibration. Usually the issues are a small sample size. Good luck with your build!
Thanks! Considering the ordering s#I& show people have had the past two years, I was shocked when I ordered on 2/28 to get a vin the next day, and already have a window sticker with build next week!

Sponsored

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
The pedal vibration is real on mine. Interestingly, there are discussions about it going back years across all the trims, power trains, etc. Why doesn’t Ford just issue a TSB so that dealers don’t gaslight customers?

That said, my previous 4 non Fords have had obnoxious driving characteristics as well that have been widely discussed on forums. And there were owners of these who swore they didn’t have the issues, but enough of us did:

‘22 Honda Passport — first shift of the morning would occasionally be so rough you better not fill your coffee mug too high.

‘21 Highlander — side mirror wind noise. In certain conditions, it sounded like a hurricane. Some people asked me if a window was cracked open. There’s a lot of discussion about it and I finally got dealer to admit that it’s a characteristic / flaw with no official fix. I “solved”
It with electrical tape on a $47k car.

‘20 Subaru Ascent — read about the unbelievably jerky transmission and million other issues. I had an Impreza with CVT that didn’t do that. Subaru simply will not do away with the faux CVT shifting that likely contributes.

‘18 Tacoma — “35 MPH rumble strip” sensation, and an erratic transmission in an unhappy marriage with an underpowered engine. Never solved… sold it after a year.

I still want my F150 — it’s so incredibly refined and sexy — but I also feel like I should offer a $1000 reward to any forum member who has a bulletproof / one dealer visit solution because right now there are just other ways I want to spend my time.

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150
Only have had my 2022 PB since January. Haven’t had and concerns.
I am well familiar with Sync and Carplay issues with my ’21 MachE, but at least the software problems are intermittently improved OTA.

Not exactly a valid poll, but still reassuring to hear from happy owner:-

Thanks! Considering the ordering s#I& show people have had the past two years, I was shocked when I ordered on 2/28 to get a vin the next day, and already have a window sticker with build next week!
consider yourself lucky! I ordered in May and got my vin in 5 days and waited till late August till my build week. Also chip hold for 5 months. Sounds like you are good!

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
My first F150 is now in production ... Having second thoughts….should I cancel my order?
That truck is gonna be built and delivered to your dealer - that can't be stopped now.

When it arrives, take a test drive before signing any acceptance paperwork; if you don't like it, decline to take delivery.

I'm betting you'll drive it, like it, and keep it for many happy miles.

Natetroknot

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT 3.5 302A
At something like 1,600 F150s built every day, there are bound to be some horror stories and unhappy owners, but the law of averages means you'll most likely have a great truck you'll enjoy owning and driving.

The averages are better with some automakers, worse with others. If you liked the F150 enough to order one and chose it over all other 1/2 ton trucks, then I'd stick with your initial instinct and stay on track. Like another response said, drive it after delivery to the dealer, before you sign paperwork.

I've had a few hiccups with mine at 7,000 miles, but it has yet to see the dealership for anything. It's not perfect but I love the truck and take it over the wife's car at every opportunity. I was pretty worried after perusing through the forums and reading about owner issues, and learning Ford tops the list for recalls, but ultimately forums helped me learn how to option my truck best for my use, and avoid some headaches. Plugging it into a battery tender periodically, for instance.

Good luck!

Sponsored

ttnuagmada

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport FX4 5.0
I've not experienced any pedal vibration. The 5.0 doesn't idle rough, but it is definitely noisy coming from a GM small block.

OP
OP
Kangio

Kangio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
At something like 1,600 F150s built every day, there are bound to be some horror stories and unhappy owners, but the law of averages means you'll most likely have a great truck you'll enjoy owning and driving.

The averages are better with some automakers, worse with others. If you liked the F150 enough to order one and chose it over all other 1/2 ton trucks, then I'd stick with your initial instinct and stay on track. Like another response said, drive it after delivery to the dealer, before you sign paperwork.

I've had a few hiccups with mine at 7,000 miles, but it has yet to see the dealership for anything. It's not perfect but I love the truck and take it over the wife's car at every opportunity. I was pretty worried after perusing through the forums and reading about owner issues, and learning Ford tops the list for recalls, but ultimately forums helped me learn how to option my truck best for my use, and avoid some headaches. Plugging it into a battery tender periodically, for instance.

Good luck!
I agree, and I have learned a lot from these forums. Looks like the F150 will be a whole new owner experience, lots to learn!

eharri3

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
#20Fordf150
Occupation
Business
I came out of an 09 Tundra. Waited a long time for the Gen3 Tundra only to be disappointed in the lack of competitive features like there was when they took real shots at the rest of the class in 2007.

So now I'm in the position of having to give up on Toyota legendary Reliability and roll the dice getting back into a Domestic for the first time in 13 years. On top of that once I spotted the 7.2 kw system on a truck at a lot I ended up bypassing the 5.0 and rolling the dice on the first year of the Powerboost, one of the most complicated power trains in the mass market.

12K and a year later everything is going great with it. I go to the Tundra forum I've stayed on to read up. First the 2022 Tundras were going into limp mode over the turbo waste gate. They fixed that, but now you have interior air leak problems, rattles, things breaking on the interior, other Tundras going down for engine problems. Toyota will probably sort it all out at some point. OR certain things may remain problematic through the design cycle. Who knows. This truck was delayed for a few years but they managed not to get all this squared away even in that extra development time.

You could do a Ram and risk exhaust manifold leaks or electrical problems that can plague some. A Chevy, and risk AFM issues or lifter problems.

I just decided what I liked best features wise and looks wise and took my shot. If something goes wrong that's what warranties, buy backs and early trade ins are for. If you want something not known for having any early low mileage quality problems Idonno, maybe corollas still fit that bill.

Last edited:

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
One and a half years and 18K miles on our 21 Lariat PB.

It's such a nice ride! The initial rough shifting was solved with a TSB early on.

It is very quiet and comfortable ride, quick and powerful, with great fit & finish inside and out.

Also, it tows our 22 Ft travel trailer with such poise that it is a much less stressful experience than with our previous truck (2008 RAM 1500 Laramie).

So far, it's never let us down.

I never expected that the nicest car I've ever owned would be a truck!

On the other hand, I never expected the most expensive car I've ever owned would be a truck!

Hopefully yours is one of the many good ones, and not one of the relatively few* bad ones.

* Not to minimize the stress, frustration, and disappointment shared by the unhappy members of this forum. If in their situation I would be *very* unhappy as well.

richardrocks

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 PB XLT FX4 in Avalanche
I came out of an 09 Tundra. Waited a long time for the Gen3 Tundra only to be disappointed in the lack of competitive features like there was when they took real shots at the rest of the class in 2007.

So now I'm in the position of having to give up on Toyota legendary Reliability and roll the dice getting back into a Domestic for the first time in 13 years. On top of that once I spotted the 7.2 kw system on a truck at a lot I ended up bypassing the 5.0 and rolling the dice on the first year of the Powerboost, one of the most complicated power trains in the mass market.

12K and a year later everything is going great with it. I go to the Tundra forum I've stayed on to read up. First the 2022 Tundras were going into limp mode over the turbo waste gate. They fixed that, but now you have interior air leak problems, rattles, things breaking on the interior, other Tundras going down for engine problems. Toyota will probably sort it all out at some point. OR certain things may remain problematic through the design cycle. Who knows. This truck was delayed for a few years but they managed not to get all this squared away even in that extra development time.

You could do a Ram and risk exhaust manifold leaks or electrical problems that can plague some. A Chevy, and risk AFM issues or lifter problems.

I just decided what I liked best features wise and looks wise and took my shot. If something goes wrong that's what warranties, buy backs and early trade ins are for. If you want something not known for having any early low mileage quality problems Idonno, maybe corollas still fit that bill.
Likewise! I wanted to like the Tundra but they dropped the ball in so many ways and my Tacoma experience put a bad taste in my mouth. Also, no way to order exactly what you want. And kinda ugly.

I’m definitely having QC issues with my F150 off the bat, but I’ve been told by other Ford enthusiasts that it will be a happy marriage once that’s sorted. 😊 I’m happy to say that my dealer has been great so far! They had me come in right away both times. That’s a rare thing I’ve heard.
Sponsored