Sponsored

Getting nothing back on warranty refund

youne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Hi all. Canadian issue here. In late Feb/early Mar 2021 I got a 2021 F150 as new. I added the Ford extended warranty upgrade to 5 years at the time, (the 1000+ item one) and stupidly paid outright for it (part of down payment/deposit as they were delivering the vehicle).

I swapped to a 2021 Powerboost platinum last week at a different dealer. They offered me $335ish refund for the amount remaining on the warranty.

This is a slap in the face to me. I'm at best 2-3 weeks into the actual extended portion, and the vehicle only had about 62.5k kilometres on it. There were no outstanding warranty claims. In fact any time I tried to do anything under warranty (air dam, diaper, etc) they wouldn't fix it.

So as I see it, Ford made 3500 CAD off me to provide 2 weeks of warranty and no repairs.

Current dealer, old dealer, Ford customer advocate all agree the # doesn't make sense but all also say nothing can be done because that's the # Ford spits out.

This is way out of whack to me. Any guidance or ideas on what I could do to further escalate/try to get a more reasonable amount back? This is my third Ford vehicle in a row and want to use the money for warranty on the new (used) truck I just got.

I'm close to calling my credit card company and wondering about what they can do from the original purchase. But also don't want to unfairly punish the dealer from 3 years ago.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
You are pretty much into the 4th year of that contract if I understand it right. It actually went into effect when you bought your truck (time and mileage) and expires at the earliest time and mileage. I would have transferred it to the new vehicle rather than cancelling it outright. I think that's how it works. That's why you're getting the $335 whatever back.

OP
OP

youne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Well I haven't cancelled it yet, I asked them to leave it until March 31st so I can try to get it resolved. How do I transfer it? The dealer seemed to only be wanting to get the refund and sell new. Appreciate the advice!

Popplemer

First Name
Stu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'87 F250 460 5 Speed, 2023 302A PB 157"
Well I haven't cancelled it yet, I asked them to leave it until March 31st so I can try to get it resolved. How do I transfer it? The dealer seemed to only be wanting to get the refund and sell new. Appreciate the advice!
Call the warranty customer support line. They can give you an exact dollar amount you're slated to get back if you cancel today. I had a hell of a time getting the sleazy dealer I bought my '21 from to refund my extended warranty cancelation but the support team helped facilitate it.

Now I don't know if you can carry a warranty from one vehicle to another but the people at customer support were very helpful to me. I suggest you speak to them before you listen to anything the dealer tells you.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Respectfully, you did pay a lot of money for not much extra on the ESP even if you took it out to the 5 years. I do not know what the mileage was for the max but it would seem you would "time out" of the warranty for the low years.

IMHO if you only plan to keep a vehicle for 4 or 5 years then an ESP really is not in your best interest. They are great for people that plan to keep the truck for 8 - 10+ years but not such a short time.

Yes, you can cash it in and get a prorated rebate but that will never be in your favor.

I hope you can transfer it to the new truck and you should contact your dealer to find out what is needed to be done. Good luck.

Sponsored

UncleFester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150
My understanding with ESP is runs concurrent with the standard warranty. So if you purchased a 5yr warranty it's only good for two years after the 36 month standard warranty expires. So you did actually use three years of the five but the refund seems small.

OP
OP

youne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
Yeah even tho it's kind of lame IMO, worst case I should have nearly 2 full years back. At $700 a year, say dealer made as much as $200 per year profit, I'd still think it'd be closer to $1K total returned.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
You said you have a 5 year ESP, but how many KM did it cover, and how many KM are on the odometer today? The refund is based on pro-rated time OR pro-rated kilometers, whichever yields the LESSER refund. Then there is a cancellation fee subtracted from that ($75USD on a USA ESP).

You keep throwing out CAD numbers you think you should get back, but what was the CAD price paid for the ESP (it's shown on page 1 of the contract)?

All of that needs to be known to comment on the amount you should get back upon cancellation.

All of this is forthrightly set out in the contract in the article titled 'Cancellation and Refund'.

FYI, unless the Canadian ESP is very different from the USA ESP, you can transfer to a new owner (for a fee) but you cannot transfer to a different vehicle.

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
Respectfully, you did pay a lot of money for not much extra on the ESP even if you took it out to the 5 years. I do not know what the mileage was for the max but it would seem you would "time out" of the warranty for the low years.

IMHO if you only plan to keep a vehicle for 4 or 5 years then an ESP really is not in your best interest. They are great for people that plan to keep the truck for 8 - 10+ years but not such a short time.

Yes, you can cash it in and get a prorated rebate but that will never be in your favor.

I hope you can transfer it to the new truck and you should contact your dealer to find out what is needed to be done. Good luck.
This is the issue with buying esp in Canada (I am a fellow cdn). 3500 for essentially 2 extra years of bumper to bumper warranty. It is why dealers push them so hard. Canadians who buy from Granger or flood in USA pay ~ 2000 for 8 years or 5 extra yrs of bumper to bumper.

OP
OP

youne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
It was for up to 100,000km, had just under 63,000 at time of discussion for rebate.
You said you have a 5 year ESP, but how many KM did it cover, and how many KM are on the odometer today? The refund is based on pro-rated time OR pro-rated kilometers, whichever yields the LESSER refund. Then there is a cancellation fee subtracted from that ($75USD on a USA ESP).

You keep throwing out CAD numbers you think you should get back, but what was the CAD price paid for the ESP (it's shown on page 1 of the contract)?

All of that needs to be known to comment on the amount you should get back upon cancellation.

All of this is forthrightly set out in the contract in the article titled 'Cancellation and Refund'.

FYI, unless the Canadian ESP is very different from the USA ESP, you can transfer to a new owner (for a fee) but you cannot transfer to a different vehicle.
It was for up to 100,000km, and odomoter has just under 63,000 at time of discussion for rebate. $3575 before tax was the price.

Sponsored

OP
OP

youne

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat
This is the issue with buying esp in Canada (I am a fellow cdn). 3500 for essentially 2 extra years of bumper to bumper warranty. It is why dealers push them so hard. Canadians who buy from Granger or flood in USA pay ~ 2000 for 8 years or 5 extra yrs of bumper to bumper.
Is the Granger warranty still a Ford warranty? Ie) I could take it to a local dealer if I buy from them?

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Is the Granger warranty still a Ford warranty? Ie) I could take it to a local dealer if I buy from them?
Yes, it is the official Ford Premium ESP and good for extended warranty coverage at any Ford dealership. Canada may be different but I think it is exactly the same as the US version.

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT, Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Yes, they are selling Ford warranty but I have seen nothing about them selling to Canada, you need to check with them to see if they can.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, they are selling Ford warranty but I have seen nothing about them selling to Canada, you need to check with them to see if they can.
Good point there are extra hoops to jump through for our northern friends. I believe you either need to go there in person or have some US address you can use.

Northguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XLT, 2010 F150 XLT
Yes an official ford esp. It is the Granger ford dealership. There is a complete thread on this forum about cost plus $50. You do need to be able to give them a US address but they will work with you. All the paperwork is by email. Understand from other cdns that their local cdn dealership can see the extended warranty associated with their vin shortly after purchase. The warranty like all ford warranties are good for NA (Canada, US and Mexico). Btw while people are reporting their dealership see the esp in their systems I havent heard from any that have used it. Can also search warranties+Canadian as there is a thread on that and people talk about purchasing from Granger.
Sponsored