Sponsored

Generally poor assembly quality

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I like my 2021 Powerboost and have had few mechanical problems so far. But I have to say the assembly quality of this truck is weak, and *way* behind the several GMs I've owned.

- Passenger side door didn't close flush. I had to adjust it myself.
- Rough paint on passenger side door. Wasn't sprayed correctly, but luckily it was only the clear coat. I was able to correct it myself but now it is smoother and different from the rest of the paint
- Front/rear door creases don't line up well
- Interior trim/flag near passenger window totally crooked
- Interior glasses holder on center roof console doesn't close flush
- Gas filler door is bowed, doesn't fit flush
- Driver's side Powerboost badge isn't even/level
- Rust on diff/axle/exhaust is a *complete* joke. I fixed it myself, but was compensated by Ford after taking this to BBB

My dealer isn't bad, but I feel like it's asking for trouble to have them correct many of these things. I may ask them to do a few and just live with the rest. I'm just shocked at this build quality for a new truck in 2021 with a $73k MSRP. Ford needs to get its act together.
Sponsored

Mike G-Man

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Powerboost, 1969 Mustang 428CJ
Occupation
Fed
It's not just Ford. I had a handful of issues with my corvette when it arrived. Spend $65k on a car you'd think the attention to detail for each build and special care during transport would be there but it isn't.

OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
It's not just Ford. I had a handful of issues with my corvette when it arrived. Spend $65k on a car you'd think the attention to detail for each build and special care during transport would be there but it isn't.
Really? I have a 2017 Grand Sport and the build quality is good. The interior is pretty basic but the exterior panel fit is stellar.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd
Agreed. Have had my truck 2 weeks and just yesterday met with my service advisor and showed him both driver side doors don't line up well (easy to see in side view mirror), painted over crease in sheet metal on driver side door below handle, and rust on rear diff/axle (WTF!).

He said door alignment is "easy to fix" at body shop and their paintless dent remover can probably smooth out the crease. I too am hesitant for them to even touch it because the doors close/seal well, but every single time I walk up to the truck I notice the driver doors/trim don't match up well. I catch myself looking at every car/truck in parking lots to see if others are that way... nope.

The rust issue the service advisor almost interrupted me and said "yeah, no, Ford doesn't cover that". When asked about the Corrosion Warranty he said that's for paint only. He offered to put in a warranty claim but wasn't too confident Ford would cover rust removal and repaint costs. I said "Yes, I absolutely want a full claim submitted for the rust issue." I intend on pursuing it as far as I need to. If a BBB claim helps, so be it. Thanks for the heads up on that.

OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Agreed. Have had my truck 2 weeks and just yesterday met with my service advisor and showed him both driver side doors don't line up well (easy to see in side view mirror), painted over crease in sheet metal on driver side door below handle, and rust on rear diff/axle (WTF!).

He said door alignment is "easy to fix" at body shop and their paintless dent remover can probably smooth out the crease. I too am hesitant for them to even touch it because the doors close/seal well, but every single time I walk up to the truck I notice the driver doors/trim don't match up well. I catch myself looking at every car/truck in parking lots to see if others are that way... nope.

The rust issue the service advisor almost interrupted me and said "yeah, no, Ford doesn't cover that". When asked about the Corrosion Warranty he said that's for paint only. He offered to put in a warranty claim but wasn't too confident Ford would cover rust removal and repaint costs. I said "Yes, I absolutely want a full claim submitted for the rust issue." I intend on pursuing it as far as I need to. If a BBB claim helps, so be it. Thanks for the heads up on that.
Definitely do BBB. They will reject it at first but don’t worry and be persistent. Ford ended up giving me $1k and an extended warranty, but it’s a joke that I had to go through this and fix it myself, for any new car, but especially such an expensive one.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/bbb-settlement-for-rusty-axle-issue.5144/

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Sport PowerBoost
I like my 2021 Powerboost and have had few mechanical problems so far. But I have to say the assembly quality of this truck is weak, and *way* behind the several GMs I've owned.

- Passenger side door didn't close flush. I had to adjust it myself.
- Rough paint on passenger side door. Wasn't sprayed correctly, but luckily it was only the clear coat. I was able to correct it myself but now it is smoother and different from the rest of the paint
- Front/rear door creases don't line up well
- Interior trim/flag near passenger window totally crooked
- Interior glasses holder on center roof console doesn't close flush
- Gas filler door is bowed, doesn't fit flush
- Driver's side Powerboost badge isn't even/level
- Rust on diff/axle/exhaust is a *complete* joke. I fixed it myself, but was compensated by Ford after taking this to BBB

My dealer isn't bad, but I feel like it's asking for trouble to have them correct many of these things. I may ask them to do a few and just live with the rest. I'm just shocked at this build quality for a new truck in 2021 with a $73k MSRP. Ford needs to get its act together.

Did either of you have any luck getting the front and rear door creases to line up through door adjustments? Thinking of taking mine into the dealer. I just don't see how they can line up the creases without resulting in gaps being off on the tops and bottoms of the doors.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I wonder if there's any difference on a truck assembled in Dearborn VS Kansas?
Or the old adage of what day of the week? Or which shift?

I ask because my 2021 Platinum was pretty well tight, but a couple of visible imperfections with close scrutiny. Other than an actual ding in the passenger left door that once you saw it you couldn't un-see it, the truck didn't bother me.

But my 2022 is hard to find any fault with and I've been over it, under it, inside it......and it's awesome. Very impressed. A little too much leather in the same portion of the two front seats which means they both will look like someone heavy just got out. Lol

But that's it. It LOOKS like it's expensive. :)

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
My doors were aligned like crap from the factory, so badly misaligned that I thought the doors weren’t properly shut.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/fit-and-finish.1062/#post-31461

I wound up getting them fixed at another dealership, who aligned them in less than 15 minutes; after the selling dealer gaslighted and sandbagged me for several months.

The doors still aren’t perfect but part of the problem is the extra weatherstripping and door seals Ford is using.

All in all though, I have noticed that the Ford Escapes have better panel alignment than the F-150s.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Lippy

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
Did either of you have any luck getting the front and rear door creases to line up through door adjustments? Thinking of taking mine into the dealer. I just don't see how they can line up the creases without resulting in gaps being off on the tops and bottoms of the doors.
No. I don't want them to mess with it.

pavementends

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A SuperCab 3.5EB, Lots of dirt bikes
Occupation
Enginerd

Sponsored

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
My doors were aligned like crap from the factory, so badly misaligned that I thought the doors weren’t properly shut.

https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/fit-and-finish.1062/#post-31461

I wound up getting them fixed at another dealership, who aligned them in less than 15 minutes; after the selling dealer gaslighted and sandbagged me for several months.

The doors still aren’t perfect but part of the problem is the extra weatherstripping and door seals Ford is using.

All in all though, I have noticed that the Ford Escapes have better panel alignment than the F-150s.

Good luck!
Yeah, your doors looked terrible in that thread. *Almost* can't believe Ford would ship the truck that way. Glad you were able to get it fixed!

thebigdu

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No. I don't want them to mess with it.
I'm kind of in the same boat. Crazy we can't trust a dealer with these things. I might take mine to a body shop who does a lot of work for our company and see what he says. Will let you all know if I have any luck.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
I wound up taking my truck to a dealership that had its own on site body shop. It was 4X as far as the other shop but it got done.

Aligning doors should be a pretty basic thing.
Sponsored