First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Is the Dearborn plant struggling with getting their normal workers back to the production lines? Or is this second run of trucks still new enough that they are still on the learning curve? I took delivery of my 2021 XLT on 08/31. It went into production on 08/07 and was finished on 08/13. I am struck by how many little quality issues I am finding. It blows my mind that these are present on a $50k+ vehicle. I don't know if this is unusual or par for the course for mass produced American vehicles nowadays. The last two vehicles I had were flag ship models built in Japan and Australia respectively.

Am I supposed to work with my dealer to correct problems from the factory? Or is there a direct way to deal with the Ford factory?

Dent/scratch on passenger front door
Pro Trailer sensor kit not included delivered with the truck
Dent on black trim on passenger door
Adhesive/sticker residue inside door frames
Debris under paint in several spots
Poorly fitting seat covers
Carpet fraying instead of edges sealed
Reverse braking system not available 50% of the time
Driver’s side rear door is hard to close and “door ajar” light on often
Door seal clips not installed
Under hood clips not fastened
Trim clips not fully installed
Under dash trim clips popped loose when adjusting height of steering wheel
Rubber bands and masking tape left on several wire looms
Seatbelt brackets not aligned properly and plastic push rivet not in position
Uneven rear seat heights

Ford F-150 Quality Control? 2021-08-31 17.34.35
Ford F-150 Quality Control? 2021-08-31 17.34.39
Ford F-150 Quality Control? 2021-08-31 17.34.45
Ford F-150 Quality Control? 2021-09-02 17.03.14
Ford F-150 Quality Control? 2021-09-04 18.00.57
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lippy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost
I’d say clean the adhesive and do whatever you can yourself. Yes, you should absolutely have the fit and finish issues addressed by the dealer, including the paint. Sorry yours has these issues. Mine isn’t perfect but is generally ok and has been mostly problem free. I will say that the fit and finish of GM trucks is much better in my experience.

OP
OP

Lateonthebrakes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
I have cleaned the adhesive, clicked together the various trim clips, etc. I'm just worried about what I have found vs what I haven't. This is the first Ford I've ever owned. The Lightning got me excited about the brand so I figured I'd buy a regular truck and see if I like it before pulling the trigger on a full electric. I love the way it drives just am unnerved by the little fit/finish issues I keep finding.

Sponsored

Asphaltman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, 2021 F150, 2018 F-150 1997 F-250H
Occupation
Entrepreneur
I’ve got almost exactly the same issues as you. Mine was assembled in Kansas City. I’m still working with my dealer to resolve issues but it’s been going on many months and who knows what’s gonna happen. As a lifelong Ford customer this is disappointing.

OP
OP

Lateonthebrakes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Okay. I was giving them the benefit of the doubt that this was a new generation or a refresh so there would be some growing pains. And I'm starting to wonder if the A team is not in the factory putting stuff together because they are at home for COVID-19.

Frohnzie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Occupation
Software Developer
The dealership should make it right. I had a paint problem in the past. It took 2 tries but the dealer fixed it. First time they tried to use touch-up paint and it was super obvious. Second time they resprayed the entire panel.

I don't know if I am missing a trim piece or not. But the last screw in the front wheel well liner isn't attached to anything.

bizu1108

First Name
BigTurtle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Let me know if the dealer figures out what is causing reverse brake assist not available error. I had same issue on mine with less than 1k miles. They said it is the issue with safety tech computer and they ordered one to replace it. Waiting to see if that fixes it

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
My XLT super 8, v8, 4x4 was built Jan 24.

I have had it in for a warranty headlight replacement
(damaged from the factory—halogen)

And just a couple of days ago, the right rear tire pressure monitor started going “offline” on my way home from work, and is just fine in the morning.

And of course, the recent seat belt recall, that I won’t do anything about until I get the tire sensor replaced.

other than that, no issues, no oil usage, no transmission oddities, no vibrations.

Sponsored

xtraman122

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘21 302A PB
I had a mysterious huge rubber band going around the radiator onto the hood latch. No idea what it was from, dealer guessed maybe something from assembly. It snapped off and never thought any more of it until I saw this thread.

For what it’s worth my floor liners are exactly the same under the pedals, think that’s just “normal” unfortunately.

OP
OP

Lateonthebrakes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Let me know if the dealer figures out what is causing reverse brake assist not available error. I had same issue on mine with less than 1k miles. They said it is the issue with safety tech computer and they ordered one to replace it. Waiting to see if that fixes it
I finally figured a pattern with mine. Do you drive with traction control off? It will say it's unavailable when I turn the traction control off and put the truck in reverse. But it seems to work fine when the traction control is on.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Lateonthebrakes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
Haven't even had the truck for two weeks and got my first recall notice.
Ford F-150 Quality Control? Screenshot_20210916-185305

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
I finally figured a pattern with mine. Do you drive with traction control off? It will say it's unavailable when I turn the traction control off and put the truck in reverse. But it seems to work fine when the traction control is on.
You should’ve started with that…there’s your reason. A safety system like that is not going to operate while you’re defeating other tied in safety systems (traction control uses the ABS computer too). My current car has proven to be superb quality from a previously unproven brand. No issues in 30,000 miles - but if I turn off traction and especially stability control, im met with a series of warnings - “pre collision avoidance unavailable,” “lane keep assist unavailable,” and “smart cruise control conditions not met. See manual.” Those are all tied to the traction and stability systems

OP
OP

Lateonthebrakes

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT
Occupation
Engineer
You should’ve started with that…there’s your reason. A safety system like that is not going to operate while you’re defeating other tied in safety systems (traction control uses the ABS computer too). My current car has proven to be superb quality from a previously unproven brand. No issues in 30,000 miles - but if I turn off traction and especially stability control, im met with a series of warnings - “pre collision avoidance unavailable,” “lane keep assist unavailable,” and “smart cruise control conditions not met. See manual.” Those are all tied to the traction and stability systems
It's actually not the reason. I've been in contact with Ford customer service and they say it should work with the traction control off. There's actually an error code in my APIM module.
Sponsored