First Name
Clay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat Sport Powerboost.
This is sure to get some discussion.

https://www.autoblog.com/article/least-reliable-cars-trucks-2022/

Some familiar names appear on the list of least reliable vehicles (in order with the lowest predicted reliability score at the top), but there are a few eyebrow-raising models, followed by CR's score:

1. Ford F-150 Hybrid: 4
  2. Hyundai Kona Electric: 5
  3. Lincoln Aviator: 8
  4. Nissan Sentra: 9
  5. Ford Explorer: 16
  6. Chevrolet Bolt: 17
  7. Chevrolet Silverado 1500/GMC Sierra 1500: 19
  8. Jeep Gladiator: 21
  9. Mercedes-Benz GLE: 23
  10. Jeep Wrangler: 24
Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
I mean, I had to have my whole transmission replaced at 7k miles. Trucks been running fine since then (Currently at 34k miles), but I'm under no illusions about this platform.

The biggest disappointment is not the reliability (or perceived reliability), it's been about Ford's complete garbage of a repair network that is the dealers. It took 15 days for them to even bother looking at my truck, and 40 days for them to get the part I needed (1 part that was delivered was the wrong part with the right label...are people being trained?). And from what I've seen on the forums, that's pretty much par for the course. It makes the money I spent on the extended warranty (which I bought because I anticipated things needed fixing on this platform) feel like a waste.

Ford did clean shop a month ago by firing the guy up top who's been in charge of reliability factors, so maybe in the next 2 - 3 years we see the situation improve. Time can only tell.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
To be fair, most dealers (at least he in Lou, KY) are backed up with tons of work, not just Ford. When vehicle shortages happen, or people cannot afford new cars, they keep their used ones longer and get them repaired more.

Aron

First Name
Aron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F150 Lariat PB 4x2; '15 Expedition; '98 Ranger
Occupation
Civil Engineer
I clicked through the linked article but couldn’t find any further detail. What does “4” mean to determine that the powerboost is the least reliable vehicle?

GEN14OWNER

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 RCSB 5.0 F150 XLT
Occupation
Retired
I mean, I had to have my whole transmission replaced at 7k miles. Trucks been running fine since then (Currently at 34k miles), but I'm under no illusions about this platform.

The biggest disappointment is not the reliability (or perceived reliability), it's been about Ford's complete garbage of a repair network that is the dealers. It took 15 days for them to even bother looking at my truck, and 40 days for them to get the part I needed (1 part that was delivered was the wrong part with the right label...are people being trained?). And from what I've seen on the forums, that's pretty much par for the course. It makes the money I spent on the extended warranty (which I bought because I anticipated things needed fixing on this platform) feel like a waste.

Ford did clean shop a month ago by firing the guy up top who's been in charge of reliability factors, so maybe in the next 2 - 3 years we see the situation improve. Time can only tell.
Same here...
2-weeks just to open the hood. 2+ months to get the parts.

We're all suffering from the aftermath of the Covid response so I can't fault Ford or my dealer for the delays.

But the complete lack of any communication from Ford Motor Company is absolutely inexcusable and unforgivable.

Sponsored

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
"4" is the lowest score out of a possible 100.

"The organization surveys its members to determine the vehicles that exhibited the most problems over the prior year. Owners are asked about creaks and rattles, the durability of parts and trim, and mechanical issues. Consumer Reports assigns a weight to each problem and then uses them to create a score, with 100 being the best."

take it with a grain of salt, or even a pound -
the only problem I've had with my '21 is the OTA update failure, which never affected the truck's operation, and has since been fixed by my dealer, who has always been on the ball.

If CR had ever talked to me, the Powerboost would probably have gotten a higher score

Bird of prey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King ranch power boost
39000+ miles on my king ranch hybrid power boost. other than oil changes it’s never been in the shop.

LimeyinTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost Platinum
Just rolled past 20,000 miles on my 2021 Plat PB, and so far, I have been pleased with the reliability.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Consumer Reports tries to say they are unbiased. I’ve read their articles pointing out what they liked and disliked about vehicles. After a preponderance of likes on a particular vehicle they gave it a low rating. Which is why I don’t rely on only one source while researching quality reviews

Timuh60

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Platinum
Occupation
Safety Manager
I can only speak on my experience. My 21' Platinum PB was a nightmare electrically. I had the OTA issues like many then everything went tits up and had about a half dozen warning lights come on. Spent almost 3 months total in service before I sold it after 9 months. As far as the PB itself, it never got near the advertised fuel economy and the transitions between gas and electric wasn't always the smoothest and sometime unnerving when turning and needing gas power to get out of the way of traffic.
That being said I have a 22' KR ecoboost built and awaiting shipping. Hopefully I won't have a similar experience.

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I can only speak on my experience. My 21' Platinum PB was a nightmare electrically. I had the OTA issues like many then everything went tits up and had about a half dozen warning lights come on. Spent almost 3 months total in service before I sold it after 9 months. As far as the PB itself, it never got near the advertised fuel economy and the transitions between gas and electric wasn't always the smoothest and sometime unnerving when turning and needing gas power to get out of the way of traffic.
That being said I have a 22' KR ecoboost built and awaiting shipping. Hopefully I won't have a similar experience.
That sucks, it sucks to have a crappy vehicle that you probably were enamored with and spent 10's of thousands on. I think the majority of people have a more or less good experience, but not everything Ford builds is perfect, or even up to par.

Fingers crossed that your KR is better. I am on my 4th F-150 EB and have had nothing but good experiences, personally

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Consumer Reports is terribly biased. Would not trust them with a vacuum cleaner review let alone for a vehicle.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
Consumer Reports is terribly biased. Would not trust them with a vacuum cleaner review let alone for a vehicle.
I wonder if GM/RAM/KIA/BMW etc. owners feels the same

This isn't a jab at you, it is a genuine question

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
Blame the unions. Bought a BMW built in S.C....flawless. If only they built a truck. ***settle down homers, just poking fun.

Last edited:

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
I have a friend who runs a European Car repair shop. He says repairing BMW window regulators alone keeps him in business!
Sponsored