First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 King Ranch Super Crew, 1997 Lariat Super Cab
Occupation
Retired
I purchased a 22 KR Crew 4x4 with Tow Package Feb 01, 2022. At the same time I ordered the same truck with Max Tow Package, among other things. I went to take delivery yesterday, and I am amazed at what @Ford Motor Company is still doing. I have owned FoMoCo for 40+ years and will no longer choose Ford. With what I saw yesterday, I am not sure I would trust 2022 and 2023 F150 rolling off the assembly line. The rubber fender plug was the red flag to look closely, since I had an early model 22. The major issues is with the Pro Trailer Back Up Assist, at the bumper. As you may know, this is included with the Max Tow Pkg and Trailer Tow Pkg. Half way through 2021, Ford cut alot of features. One of those was the Trailer Yaw Sensor. It allows you to connect a specific trailer, save the perimeters, and use a know on the dash to control the trailer. It also allows you to hook up a camera so that you can see behind the trailer and monitor tire pressure on the trailer wheels. My 22 didn't have it, dealerships wanted $750+. (not everybody who advertised these on ebay actually sold them. many attempts but transactions were cancelled by sellers) The short, this port has many features tied to towing. @FordTrucks has chosen to remove this port and use a 4 pin trailer connector! How can Ford advertise all these features of the Pro Trailer Backup and remove this without notification?! So that's where it started.

As we look underneath, the differential is painted, but rear fenders are not. Being a King Ranch with 2 tone, it is very easy to distinguish between bare metal and bronze paint. Star White Metallic (+$795) is different than bare metal too. Where there was to be bronze, NO PAINT. The tops, front and back where there was to be white, VERY thin. The was considerable metal exposed. I have seen more overspray than what was on these fenders. I cannot help but to question the quality of the 22 F150's crammed through the line before the 23's. And I have to wonder, how will the 23's be different.

The rubber plug in the fender?! Obviously a solution purposed by an accountant, since this is a FUNCTIONING device used to evacuate heat from the engine bay. And yes, in the reflection of the correct Fender Vent is the 1997 F150 that we bought new in 1997. My adult daughter drove this in high school and college.

What about the brakes for Max Tow? When I watched the Chief Engineer talk about the F150, he said that the trucks through Tow Package would have the same size brakes. However, he said the Max Tow would have larger brakes. I assumed this would be larger rotors and calipers. Looking at the latest F150 with Max Tow compared to the Tow Package built earlier, I do not see a difference! I see the same diameter rotor. The distance between the wheels and the rotor seem to have the same gap, since both are 20" wheels.

And on the way home, I was using Adaptive Cruise in stop/go traffic on the highway. Someone stopped hard in front of me, the early truck came to a safe stop. The Honda behind me started skidding. And that got me to thinking, I have had the 12" display screen shut off several times and reboot while I am driving at 70+ mph. It lost the Cruise Settings! I had to turn on and set the speed again. So ... what would happen IF that reboot started while Adaptive Cruise was breaking?

Well, you say Ford would never let that happen, blah, blah, blah. To which I respond, Have you used Ford's Built-in Navigation?! On the way to the FORD dealership yesterday, the navigation circled the dealership 3 times! I was routed Past the dealership, Around the back of the dealership, Under the bridge to the Frontage road on the other side of the highway, and then to the dealership. This software engineering does not inspire confidence in critical software processes that are supposed to keep me safe.

We did not open the truck to inspect futher. I am certain that I do not have the Motion Control Seats that were included in the King Ranch Pkg when I purchased. FYI, did you know that Toyota and Lexus will not take an order if they do not have the parts?! They built ALL their vehicles as they were ordered.

My salesman just texted me saying that the Fender Vent should be in 4 - 5 months.

I am beyond all the excuses from Ford. During these 8.5 months the have screamed about their losses, deleted parts and features, raise the prices, fired 1,500+ employees, initial quality has sunk to a 20 year low while they build fewer units, stock is approaching $10 a share, and they rise in the Fortune 500 ranking from #53 to #22. Quite frankly, I have seen enough. Jim Farley's leadership has destroyed my confidence.I do not trust @Ford any more. #FireFarley

Ford F-150 Ford Deleted MORE on 2022 F150 Yaw Sensor Port

Ford F-150 Ford Deleted MORE on 2022 F150 4 way Trailer

Ford F-150 Ford Deleted MORE on 2022 F150 Fender Plu

Ford F-150 Ford Deleted MORE on 2022 F150 Fender Vent

Ford F-150 Ford Deleted MORE on 2022 F150 Tow Front Brake

Ford F-150 Ford Deleted MORE on 2022 F150 Max Tow Front Brakes
Sponsored

bwwF150

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 BMW X7, 18 Jeep JLU, 13 QX56(23 F150 replaces)
It has 1 fender vent that is correct? I thought they were only doing the temp fender vents for the super duty? Guess not.

On the missing features, were you made aware or were they deleted on window sticker? If not, you likely have legal recourse if you choose.

Last edited:

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
There's a lot to unpack her and I don't know about a lot of this stuff, but I would like to ask about the paint. Are you saying there was no paint on the underside of the fender? You believe it to be bare metal?

OP
OP

texski

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
2 vent plugs are rubber.

There was NO Bronze paint on the rear wheel wheel. There was not enough Star White Metallic on the rear wheel wheel to cover the bare metal (aluminum).
I'm heading back to the dealer now. I'll get more pics.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
2 vent plugs are rubber.

There was NO Bronze paint on the rear wheel wheel. There was not enough Star White Metallic on the rear wheel wheel to cover the bare metal (aluminum).
I'm heading back to the dealer now. I'll get more pics.
I'll be interested to see the photos, I find it incredibly hard to believe there is bare metal showing, the pretreatment and electrocoat process fully submerges the entire BIW (Body In White AKA unpainted metal) and should receive a full coating even in places light cannot reach.

Ecoat is kind of a dark gray/green, bare aluminum is silver (which I am sure you knew that)

Sponsored

Tomatoboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford Explorer XLT, 2017 Ford Escape SE, F-150
I’m confused about the Trailer Backup Pro part. Is it possible for you to post a redacted copy of your window sticker?

Chili

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Sounds like the nicer your truck, the more you paid and the bigger the shaft you got. Those rubber fender plugs look very, very cheap. My XLT was just built, I picked it up last week and I had the correct XLT vents.

I didn't get auto start stop (thank you and for the $50 credit) and connected navigation (Never would have used it with Google maps, thanks for the $200).

I may have only 230 miles but I absolutely love my truck so far and I'm sorry this happened to you.

Beercity

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 701a F150 | 20 Escape hybrid | 13 Escape
Occupation
Dude Named Ben
They switched from the sensor to stickers for pro-backup. Not sure how many stickers it comes with....still waiting for my truck, but with multiple trailers you don't have to take off the sensor and install on a different trailer each time. Example from the utility trailer to the boat or camper.
From what I have seen others say it allows you to save multiple trailer profiles for selection without needing to recalibrate after moving the sensor.
Did you still get the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter? Guessing no need if it has the 4 pin under the 7 pin now.

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
They switched from the sensor to stickers for pro-backup. Not sure how many stickers it comes with....still waiting for my truck, but with multiple trailers you don't have to take off the sensor and install on a different trailer each time. Example from the utility trailer to the boat or camper.
From what I have seen others say it allows you to save multiple trailer profiles for selection without needing to recalibrate after moving the sensor.
Did you still get the 7 pin to 4 pin adapter? Guessing no need if it has the 4 pin under the 7 pin now.
I believe mine came with 5 stickers tucked into the tow guide manual if I recall correctly.
Guessing you could order more from Ford Parts if you need to replace any?

Overboost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Sorry, but I'm failing to understand what the problem is here. The fender plugs are temporary, and the dealer makes you sign a form that they'll be replaced later on. The wheels look fine to me, and the issue about paint isn't documented here. Rear fenders aren't finished to the same degree as the bed sides. If you don't like it, get wheel liners (which also make cleaning a lot easier!)

I'd ask to provide more evidence to your claims earlier, but this sounds like a long winded bitch about Farley, and lack of education from a dealer.

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
The difference in the rotor diameter is 14mm, so 7mm where it meets the rim. I doubt you would notice it, especially since they are two different 20" rims, which are cast in different shapes. Measure the thickness, since the larger rotor is also 24mm thick vs 20mm thick.

Also, Max Tow would have the 9.75 HD axle, which is easily identifiable from the outside. The caliper mounts are different on this axle, so you couldn't even run the smaller rotors.

this sounds like a long winded bitch about Farley
Search the #FireFarley on this board....

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
I purchased a 22 KR Crew 4x4 with Tow Package Feb 01, 2022. At the same time I ordered the same truck with Max Tow Package, among other things. I went to take delivery yesterday, and I am amazed at what @Ford Motor Company is still doing. I have owned FoMoCo for 40+ years and will no longer choose Ford. With what I saw yesterday, I am not sure I would trust 2022 and 2023 F150 rolling off the assembly line. The rubber fender plug was the red flag to look closely, since I had an early model 22. The major issues is with the Pro Trailer Back Up Assist, at the bumper. As you may know, this is included with the Max Tow Pkg and Trailer Tow Pkg. Half way through 2021, Ford cut alot of features. One of those was the Trailer Yaw Sensor. It allows you to connect a specific trailer, save the perimeters, and use a know on the dash to control the trailer. It also allows you to hook up a camera so that you can see behind the trailer and monitor tire pressure on the trailer wheels. My 22 didn't have it, dealerships wanted $750+. (not everybody who advertised these on ebay actually sold them. many attempts but transactions were cancelled by sellers) The short, this port has many features tied to towing. @FordTrucks has chosen to remove this port and use a 4 pin trailer connector! How can Ford advertise all these features of the Pro Trailer Backup and remove this without notification?! So that's where it started.

As we look underneath, the differential is painted, but rear fenders are not. Being a King Ranch with 2 tone, it is very easy to distinguish between bare metal and bronze paint. Star White Metallic (+$795) is different than bare metal too. Where there was to be bronze, NO PAINT. The tops, front and back where there was to be white, VERY thin. The was considerable metal exposed. I have seen more overspray than what was on these fenders. I cannot help but to question the quality of the 22 F150's crammed through the line before the 23's. And I have to wonder, how will the 23's be different.

The rubber plug in the fender?! Obviously a solution purposed by an accountant, since this is a FUNCTIONING device used to evacuate heat from the engine bay. And yes, in the reflection of the correct Fender Vent is the 1997 F150 that we bought new in 1997. My adult daughter drove this in high school and college.

What about the brakes for Max Tow? When I watched the Chief Engineer talk about the F150, he said that the trucks through Tow Package would have the same size brakes. However, he said the Max Tow would have larger brakes. I assumed this would be larger rotors and calipers. Looking at the latest F150 with Max Tow compared to the Tow Package built earlier, I do not see a difference! I see the same diameter rotor. The distance between the wheels and the rotor seem to have the same gap, since both are 20" wheels.

And on the way home, I was using Adaptive Cruise in stop/go traffic on the highway. Someone stopped hard in front of me, the early truck came to a safe stop. The Honda behind me started skidding. And that got me to thinking, I have had the 12" display screen shut off several times and reboot while I am driving at 70+ mph. It lost the Cruise Settings! I had to turn on and set the speed again. So ... what would happen IF that reboot started while Adaptive Cruise was breaking?

Well, you say Ford would never let that happen, blah, blah, blah. To which I respond, Have you used Ford's Built-in Navigation?! On the way to the FORD dealership yesterday, the navigation circled the dealership 3 times! I was routed Past the dealership, Around the back of the dealership, Under the bridge to the Frontage road on the other side of the highway, and then to the dealership. This software engineering does not inspire confidence in critical software processes that are supposed to keep me safe.

We did not open the truck to inspect futher. I am certain that I do not have the Motion Control Seats that were included in the King Ranch Pkg when I purchased. FYI, did you know that Toyota and Lexus will not take an order if they do not have the parts?! They built ALL their vehicles as they were ordered.

My salesman just texted me saying that the Fender Vent should be in 4 - 5 months.

I am beyond all the excuses from Ford. During these 8.5 months the have screamed about their losses, deleted parts and features, raise the prices, fired 1,500+ employees, initial quality has sunk to a 20 year low while they build fewer units, stock is approaching $10 a share, and they rise in the Fortune 500 ranking from #53 to #22. Quite frankly, I have seen enough. Jim Farley's leadership has destroyed my confidence.I do not trust @Ford any more. #FireFarley

Yaw Sensor Port.jpg

4 way Trailer.jpg

Fender Plug.jpg

Fender Vent.jpg

Tow Front Brake.jpg

Max Tow Front Brakes.jpg
Then dont plan on buying any truck the next couple years......I mean you dont actually think its isolated to Ford, do you?

OP
OP

texski

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
I'll be interested to see the photos, I find it incredibly hard to believe there is bare metal showing, the pretreatment and electrocoat process fully submerges the entire BIW (Body In White AKA unpainted metal) and should receive a full coating even in places light cannot reach.

Ecoat is kind of a dark gray/green, bare aluminum is silver (which I am sure you knew that)
David,
I'm not sure how well this will translate. On my phone I can zoom and it is clear that this was a very dry coat (see the front wheel well). Please note the difference between the outer fender and the inner. This is not lighting. These pics were resized for the web. If you zoom on the "wheel well close" it may look pixelated (?), but the visual pattern is the same in person. Very rough texture, paint did not cover the metal.

And thanks, I knew their had to be a coating, I assumed anodized.

Finally, I wanted to make sure Kansas City did not get blamed for this. This was a Dearborn unit.

Ford F-150 Ford Deleted MORE on 2022 F150 Wheelwell Front

Ford F-150 Ford Deleted MORE on 2022 F150 Wheelwell Rear

Ford F-150 Ford Deleted MORE on 2022 F150 Wheelwell Close
Sponsored