Sponsored

Ford and Toyota Both Have Hybrid Truck Engines Now. The Path There Was A Weird One

ekaddo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning,VolvoXC90T6, BMW1250RT
Occupation
Consultant
Interesting history in the article, seems like the generator is missed opportunity they will see the light on, in the future. Already paying the weight penalty with the battery, add some functionality. Growing up in the 70s-80s, who knew I "needed" GPS in a mobile calling device.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/42757...ck-engines-now-the-path-there-was-a-weird-one
"Toyota's Joe Moses said the company's data shows that Tundra buyers tend to be more active-outdoor enthusiast types than the work-truck customer of Ford's F-150, and they're distancing themselves from any similarities. For instance, Toyota’s Chief Engineer for the Tundra Mike Sweers told me they discovered their customers don’t want the extra cost for adding a generator to the truck (like Ford does for its full-size truck). For less money, he said, Toyota’s customers can buy their own generator and use it where and when they want."
Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Chief Engineer for the Tundra Mike Sweers told me they discovered their customers don’t want the extra cost for adding a generator to the truck (like Ford does for its full-size truck). For less money, he said, Toyota’s customers can buy their own generator and use it where and when they want."
I'm sure a Chief Engineer at Toyota is a bright person, but this is why engineers don't run the product plan.
I could understand that comment prior to the F-150 7.2kW onboard power, but now that it's an overwhelming success, he should scramble the PHEV team: "find the space, put an inverter in the Tundra, we'll make it a late availability option … minimum 7.2 kW priced below Ford with the home backup and campsite generator modes. Why are you still on Zoom? Go! …" : )

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Got to have an excuse why they are so far behind and I guess that is one. Not sure why it couldn't be option like in the F-150. I bet they will have it when they figure it out.

OP
OP
ekaddo

ekaddo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
I'm sure a Chief Engineer at Toyota is a bright person, but this is why engineers don't run the product plan.
I could understand that comment prior to the F-150 7.2kW onboard power, but now that it's an overwhelming success, he should scramble the PHEV team: "find the space, put an inverter in the Tundra, we'll make it a late availability option … minimum 7.2 kW priced below Ford with the home backup and campsite generator modes. Why are you still on Zoom? Go! …" : )
Ha ha ha!

Markusvt

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
Brand new design and they put the batteries under the back seat for the hybrid? What? No worries, no-one really cares about under seat storage or a flat floor in the back seat and most folks LOVE batteries in the passenger compartment, right?. ;) When a manufacturer takes a 15 year dirt nap and then released a product the WOW factor should be huge.

Sponsored

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
Brand new design and they put the batteries under the back seat for the hybrid? What? No worries, no-one really cares about under seat storage or a flat floor in the back seat and most folks LOVE batteries in the passenger compartment, right?. ;) When a manufacturer takes a 15 year dirt nap and then released a product the WOW factor should be huge.
And to use NiMH batteries like it was 20 years ago...

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Interesting history in the article, seems like the generator is missed opportunity...

"Toyota's Joe Moses said the company's data shows that Tundra buyers tend to be more active-outdoor enthusiast types...

adding a generator to the truck (like Ford does for its full-size truck). For less money, he said, Toyota’s customers can buy their own generator and use it where and when they want."
I would call it a monumental blunder on Toyota's part.

What kind of outdoor enthusiasts? :p

Ford F-150 Ford and Toyota Both Have Hybrid Truck Engines Now. The Path There Was A Weird One DF49C317-6990-4673-9091-7E06ADCCD33C

Ford F-150 Ford and Toyota Both Have Hybrid Truck Engines Now. The Path There Was A Weird One A971BD90-F546-42D5-A3BC-9AF9538A6DEC

I also see a lot of tradespeople in Tundras because they appreciate Toyota's approach to reliability, most Tundras are equipped nearly identically to most F-150. The big difference is Toyota falls really short when it comes to things like available payload.

My data shows Joe Moses pulls shit out of his ass and blames Toyota's data and studies when he can't think of a good answer.

I'm also going to guess that the MSRP of the hybrid Tundra and Powerboost are going to be very close, so I would like to ask Mr. Moses where I can find a 7.2kW generator for either less than nothing or a low nominal price that I can also nonchalantly take wherever I want when I want. This fucking bozo didn't take part in an interview, he just did Ford's work for them and wrote them an advertisement. All while telling current Tundra owners that their trucks aren't real work trucks.

Someone also needs to tell him that the generator is already in the Tundra, it's just that it isn't used for anything other than propelling it in drive mode. That's why it's such a great idea for the Powerboost!

Last edited:

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
This is funny to me because almost every time I tell people who know anything about current vehicles that I drive a Powerboost, “no way does it have that generator thing?? That’d be so useful for camping.” And it’s 50/50 whether or not that’s the first question or the second…the other question obviously being fuel economy. So I’m not sure Toyotas assessment that people just don’t want it is it…especially considering it’s even more geared for outdoor people than work if we’re being honest lol. I know Ford touts it as running a job site…but job sites already have their power from somewhere else…

PBXL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XL Powerboost
Whoever made that call at Toyota needs to get fired. I was heavily looking forward to the new Tundra and its variants like the Sequoia and have mostly owned only Toyotas (Prius, Rav4 Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid). However, the following mistakes were too much to look past:

1. No 7.2 kW generator. Even at least a 2.4 would have been better than what they put out.
2. No hybrid engine on SR5 trim.
3. No under seat storage on hybrid models. Seriously, it is a truck. Where else are you supposed to put things?
4. They have been quiet on the MPG numbers which makes me suspect they will not be any better than Ford's.

Meanwhile, I have been very happy with my XL Powerboost with 7.2 kW generator. I echo what everyone else here has said. The generator is the feature that impresses everyone I talk to the most about the truck. I am going to be using it next weekend to power some jump house blowers that I used to have to rent generators for, and I am already planning on renting a camper trailer for our next family camping trip where my family is also not restricted from bringing any type of electronic device we would want to bring.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
I've owned Toyotas, Hondas, Subarus, and GM vehicles all my life. This Powerboost I ordered will be my first Ford and I've been driving for over 30 years. I was really looking forward to the new Tundra after the debacle with my 2019 Silverado I had to dump earlier this year.

Yeah, and from his research, he deemed that his buyers wanted something that looked like Igloo and Fisher Price made a baby too. What an idiot.

Sponsored

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Exactly, the JDM Prius came out in the mid to late 90's.

Ford F-150 Ford and Toyota Both Have Hybrid Truck Engines Now. The Path There Was A Weird One 8F1BDB32-D6BC-4E68-A41E-39C8D462BC22

I hear that Joe Moses, general manager of Toyota marketing is looking to book Prince as entertainment for this year's marketing summit. They will discuss bringing product awareness to new technologies like electronic fuel injection, anti-lock brakes and how to spread their brand on the world wide web.

Keynote speaker Toyota CEO Rip Van Winkle, is set to discuss Toyota's new design language which is heavily influenced by late 1970's Japanese giant mecha anime.

Ford F-150 Ford and Toyota Both Have Hybrid Truck Engines Now. The Path There Was A Weird One F1300D94-DFAA-4C4D-9736-05668C2ADB29

Ford F-150 Ford and Toyota Both Have Hybrid Truck Engines Now. The Path There Was A Weird One 984E3EBC-9603-4393-AEB1-288E62BC3269

Ford F-150 Ford and Toyota Both Have Hybrid Truck Engines Now. The Path There Was A Weird One E3E5E9F3-F442-48F0-80EB-F3E3C1D320EB

OP
OP
ekaddo

ekaddo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Whoever made that call at Toyota needs to get fired. I was heavily looking forward to the new Tundra and its variants like the Sequoia and have mostly owned only Toyotas (Prius, Rav4 Hybrid, Highlander Hybrid). However, the following mistakes were too much to look past:

1. No 7.2 kW generator. Even at least a 2.4 would have been better than what they put out.
2. No hybrid engine on SR5 trim.
3. No under seat storage on hybrid models. Seriously, it is a truck. Where else are you supposed to put things?
4. They have been quiet on the MPG numbers which makes me suspect they will not be any better than Ford's.

Meanwhile, I have been very happy with my XL Powerboost with 7.2 kW generator. I echo what everyone else here has said. The generator is the feature that impresses everyone I talk to the most about the truck. I am going to be using it next weekend to power some jump house blowers that I used to have to rent generators for, and I am already planning on renting a camper trailer for our next family camping trip where my family is also not restricted from bringing any type of electronic device we would want to bring.
Yeah I had painter doing work at house , and his air compressor kept tripping breaker in garage, where two deep freezers cycle on and off. He was amazed when I said I’ll plug compressor in the truck. I went back to work upstairs and monitored PB on my phone:

OP
OP
ekaddo

ekaddo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant

gpbst3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
f150
I had a '14 Tundra and it was pretty dated. I was really hoping for something huge from Toyota. They screwed the pooch on this one. Im sure they will still sell the trucks and think they did great. I watched a video with engineer Sweers and I think he is out of touch with the truck base. He owns a farm so he thinks everyone else who buys trucks has a farm. If I had a farm would have something bigger than a half ton truck. I would guess the majority of half ton truck owners barely use the truck for truck stuff. You have SUVs that can tow 5000lbs. If im towing 10k on a regular basis I would probably have a F250.

I dont know why toyota hates under seat storage so much. Why in the world would you block in the storage. Make the bin an add on accessory. I have two car seats and will not be flipping those seats up for a long time. You literally made the under seat storage useless for me.

Not adding a generator to the hybrid was a real bone head move. The statement of just buy a stand along generator was just plain dumb. So I should take up half by bed space to lug a generator and fuel cans around.

Markusvt

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired
I'm guessing the Hybrid was a last minute thing and not being in the que for the HUGE demand for lithium batteries all they could get was nickel-metal hydride battery batteries, and put them under the seat.

Sponsored

Last edited: