Sponsored

First Warranty repair - Charging System Service Now (Charge System Fault)

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Corey/Keith/Mickle, do any of you have an inductive (hall effect) ammeter? I mean the kind you clip around a wire to measure current

If so, Keith could see if he's getting a big vampire load by clipping around the battery red lead. And Corey/Mickle could find out what kind of current draw that fan is causing by turning it on and off. You would not have to do any fancy surgery to break the circuit or even touch the leads.

I mean a meter like this (the one I have): https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-T...eWyBj6jur6qX3EhCGJxoCJMAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
not sure but my truck is being diagnosed by Ford and the engineers now. So can’t really do anything but wait.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
Even with nothing plugged in, it defaults to on when the truck is turned on. Just like auto start stop. When pro power is turned off in sync, *all* truck outlets turn off too apparently.
WOW! Horrible design!

I would have designed in 3 settings: Forced ON, Auto-detect, and Forced OFF. Forced ON would only be needed if you plug something in with such low load that it can't auto-detect it.

The fan should be temperature based, only ON if temp is above a threshold, and turns off when below the cool point plus hysteresis.

And it should remember your last setting!

dog_tired

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Gen14 Platinum Hybrid; Tesla M3
This has got to be a software issue. Ford has had all of those early builds running around the country for months and you'd think that if it was a design issue, they would have picked it up from those teams.

So sorry that you're going through this. Reminds me, unfortunately, of when the new Ram 1500's came out, with constant electronic issues (and sun roof leaks).

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
This has got to be a software issue. Ford has had all of those early builds running around the country for months and you'd think that if it was a design issue, they would have picked it up from those teams.

So sorry that you're going through this. Reminds me, unfortunately, of when the new Ram 1500's came out, with constant electronic issues (and sun roof leaks).
How dare you compare an F-150 to a RAM! lol I’m pretty sure it’s software or bad wiring maybe. Updates didn’t fix the problem according to the dealer

Sponsored

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I got a call from Ford today. After not being able to diagnose the issue, electrical engineers from Ford got involved. Apparently my truck has massive electrical issues and they did a mandatory buy back of my truck in order to dissect it and find out why it’s failing. This is the 11th truck they have taken back with massive electrical issues. Ford corporate called me to apologize and offer my an alternate vehicle... or at least that’s what happened in my nightmare ?? I’m kidding.

Dealer called me and told me the truck is ready. The electrical engineers reviewed the codes and told them to check a total of 4 connectors for water intrusion. The dealer found one “male” connector only half plugged in from the factory. Fully plugging it in cleared the problem immediately.
Here is the repair summary:

Ford F-150 First Warranty repair - Charging System Service Now (Charge System Fault) F8322FB5-FC0F-495C-B5B1-94AF41F83A35

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
how much is that? My dealer offers lifetime powertrain for free. I would imagine the charging system besides the battery is included.
The power train warranty is different. That covers the engine, trans, and rear diff or front diff if a four-wheel drive. You need bumper to bumper coverage to cover the lights.

ricko24

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat PB
I got a call from Ford today. After not being able to diagnose the issue, electrical engineers from Ford got involved. Apparently my truck has massive electrical issues and they did a mandatory buy back of my truck in order to dissect it and find out why it’s failing. This is the 11th truck they have taken back with massive electrical issues. Ford corporate called me to apologize and offer my an alternate vehicle... or at least that’s what happened in my nightmare ?? I’m kidding.

Dealer called me and told me the truck is ready. The electrical engineers reviewed the codes and told them to check a total of 4 connectors for water intrusion. The dealer found one “male” connector only half plugged in from the factory. Fully plugging it in cleared the problem immediately.

F8322FB5-FC0F-495C-B5B1-94AF41F83A35.jpeg
Sorry if I missed it but after the fix...does the fan still stay constantly on or did seating that connector correct it so the fan only works when it needs to (hits a certain temp). Pro power being on all the time makes some sense but not the the fan especially if nothing is plugged in.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran

Good one dude, you had me going, OMG!

Ford F-150 First Warranty repair - Charging System Service Now (Charge System Fault) 1610120725046

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Sorry if I missed it but after the fix...does the fan still stay constantly on or did seating that connector correct it so the fan only works when it needs to (hits a certain temp). Pro power being on all the time makes some sense but not the the fan especially if nothing is plugged in.
I will be testing this tonight. Long night at the hospital and I honestly was brain dead driving home this morning. Will be listening out tonight on the drive to work!

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I was reading more about propower last night (looking for other reasons) and found someone's writeup interesting. https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/fords-new-pro-power-onboard-generator-is-an-rv-game-changer/

The gas engine version is actually a dedicated 24V system with an inverter. It purely operates off the 24V batteries and inverts to a true sine wave. The engine is using an *alternator* to keep the 24V batteries charged. Therefore it isn't a true "generator".

So speculation on my part: The large area under the 60% seat is the 24V batteries and alternator wiring, along with cooling fan. The small area under the 40% seat is STILL the actual invertor. Again, just pure speculation but at least it would make more sense than a 2kW inverter and the old 400W inverter....

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I was reading more about propower last night (looking for other reasons) and found someone's writeup interesting. https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/fords-new-pro-power-onboard-generator-is-an-rv-game-changer/

The gas engine version is actually a dedicated 24V system with an inverter. It purely operates off the 24V batteries and inverts to a true sine wave. The engine is using an *alternator* to keep the 24V batteries charged. Therefore it isn't a true "generator".

So speculation on my part: The large area under the 60% seat is the 24V batteries and alternator wiring, along with cooling fan. The small area under the 40% seat is STILL the actual invertor. Again, just pure speculation but at least it would make more sense than a 2kW inverter and the old 400W inverter....
Good to know this!
Sponsored