Sponsored

First Warranty repair - Charging System Service Now (Charge System Fault)

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I was reading more about propower last night (looking for other reasons) and found someone's writeup interesting. https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/fords-new-pro-power-onboard-generator-is-an-rv-game-changer/

The gas engine version is actually a dedicated 24V system with an inverter. It purely operates off the 24V batteries and inverts to a true sine wave. The engine is using an *alternator* to keep the 24V batteries charged. Therefore it isn't a true "generator".

So speculation on my part: The large area under the 60% seat is the 24V batteries and alternator wiring, along with cooling fan. The small area under the 40% seat is STILL the actual invertor. Again, just pure speculation but at least it would make more sense than a 2kW inverter and the old 400W inverter....
That is right for the 2kw system but the hybrid is totally different but I guess you know this already. The 2kw system actually has 2 alternators and of course the other small battery pack.

The best system would be the PowerBoost propower for it uses the lithium hybrid battery pack located under the truck to power the plugs, engine only runs to charge the battery pack.

This battery pack has it's own cooling and heating system because it can generate more power and therefore more heat. The heating part is to keep the batteries from being to cold during winter season and losing some efficacy.
Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
That is right for the 2kw system but the hybrid is totally different but I guess you know this already. The 2kw system actually has 2 alternators and of course the other small battery pack.

The best system would be the PowerBoost propower for it uses the lithium hybrid battery pack located under the truck to power the plugs, engine only runs to charge the battery pack.

This battery pack has it's own cooling and heating system because it can generate more power and therefore more heat. The heating part is to keep the batteries from being to cold during winter season and losing some efficacy.
Oh yes, you know I'm getting that 7.2kW already ;)

Just trying to help out with the 2kW version on these EB's. There are certainly some oddities to it!

If anyone wants to remove the covers on the underseat areas to take pics that may be neat for us engineer nerd types.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
I hate to say this but, things like this are going to happen on a new vehicle so early / first owners should not be surprised.

Yes, it’s frustrating but that’s how things go and that’s what the warranty is for. All the more reason to purchase a Premium Ford ESP because of all the new tech on the F150.

When the new 2015 F150’s hit the market, they also had issues but most if not all were solved in the 2016 & 2017 F150.

Hang in there guys.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I bought the extended warranty because this thing is loaded with so much electronics it’s insane. And it’s a gen 1 production.

Drove to work today and I can confirm the fan turns on as pro power defaults to on in the truck. I found that there is a dedicated pro power button by the head light controls. It does a “low power mode” “outlets off” or “pro power on” as settings.Fan shuts off once you turn off pro power (takes a few minutes).

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I bought the extended warranty because this thing is loaded with so much electronics it’s insane. And it’s a gen 1 production.

Drove to work today and I can confirm the fan turns on as pro power defaults to on in the truck. I found that there is a dedicated pro power button by the head light controls. It does a “low power mode” “outlets off” or “pro power on” as settings.Fan shuts off once you turn off pro power (takes a few minutes).
Good to know. You think they would default that to off. May be worth checking with the dealer to see if that can be changed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Good to know. You think they would default that to off. May be worth checking with the dealer to see if that can be changed.
Ill check with them, but it sounds like they don’t know much about these trucks yet given how new they are.

Coreytime

First Name
KC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum
the thing i hate is i use a fast charging setup through the front outlet to charge my iphone and with pro power off, the outlet doesn't work.... that fan is annoying too.

BDUBSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I should have mentioned that mine is not Pro Power equipped. I just have an XLT 302A, 2.7 EB with the standard 400W plug in the bed.

That makes two of us on this forum that have encountered some kind of issue with our new truck. Perhaps the admins can make a sticky so we can all keep track of issues that pop up with these new 2021s. It would be interesting to see what happens as more people get their trucks.

In any event I hope you get your issue resolved and put to rest. ??
Yeah, like said in another thread, I had the exact same issue. Mine is a 3.5 EB with just the 400 watt outlet in the bed. No Pro-Power. Same faults on the dash as you mentioned.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
the thing i hate is i use a fast charging setup through the front outlet to charge my iphone and with pro power off, the outlet doesn't work.... that fan is annoying too.
That is a huge drawback for sure. Not sure if a quieter fan could be equipped and if so, what the operational and warranty implications are.

OP
OP
Platinum Peasant

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yeah, like said in another thread, I had the exact same issue. Mine is a 3.5 EB with just the 400 watt outlet in the bed. No Pro-Power. Same faults on the dash as you mentioned.
Did you get yours fixed? Mine was a simple wiring connection not being fully seated.

Sponsored

IconicXLTsport

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
Nuclear Operations
I realize this thread is a few months old now but I have a 2021 XLT with this same issue. Happened for the first time yesterday. Anyone else find any issues other than the bad connection?

OzzieSr

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Lariat Sport 502A
It just went to the dealer yesterday. It has an appointment first thing tomorrow so I'll find out this week.
What was the issue with your after? Mine is giving me the same warning. 120VAC outlets are not working.

BDUBSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
What was the issue with your after? Mine is giving me the same warning. 120VAC outlets are not working.
The battery went dead but there was a software recall that had to be done. Somehow, there was something always running in the background that drained the battery. No issues since. One thing to mention, the electrical systems go real goofy when a battery drains down. Different systems will stop working and conserve any remaining power to critical systems to keep the vehicle running.

veloverland

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2.7L XL Supercab
Occupation
Oil
I started getting this notice two days ago after a week of cold weather in Idaho. I have the 2kw pro power and use it all the time, so it's definitely a bummer to be without it. I have a dealer appointment in a few weeks. Any tips on what to ask for? I should be under warranty (year 1, 15k miles).
Sponsored