First F-150 - A couple of towing related questions for the veterans

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
How heavy of a trailer are you towing? Tongue weight and how the trailer is loaded makes a huge difference. I always use the WD Hitch. It should bring the rear end up very close to level even with the leveling kit, but it again depends on the trailer and tongue weight. Don't worry about the life of your suspension it will handle towing, over and over again. I towed 6k-9k pounds with my last 3.5 boost about 40000 miles over the last 4 years. Thats the only experience I have. If you start pushing higher weight numbers then it may differ.
I appreciate the confidence in longevity. Yes I try to pay attention to loading it but have about 30 gallons of water stored up in the nose of the trailer. So right off the bat there is a few hundred extra pounds towards the front. I’ll have to get a picture of it driving to see if you think it’s level or not. Appreciate the advice.
Sponsored

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
ive done a ton of searches, which is how I came to the conclusion that it’s not possible right now and one of the reasons I started this thread. I’m definitely open to being shown I’m not good at researching this, but I don’t know where else to look. I can’t imagine Firestone is the brand of choice when their website literally says it will not work on that specific application
Not my pictures, but both show airlift bags installed with level sensors. Firestone is revising the mount currently to work with them also.
Ford F-150 First F-150 - A couple of towing related questions for the veterans FB_IMG_1619003787105
Ford F-150 First F-150 - A couple of towing related questions for the veterans FB_IMG_1619003637493

OP
OP

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 4x4, 2013 Subaru BRZ
Not my pictures, but both show airlift bags installed with level sensors. Firestone is revising the mount currently to work with them also.
Thanks for searching that out. It looks like the previous year Airlift kit doesn't interfere with the sensors which is good news. Off the top of your head, do you know if there was any modification needed and if it works fine?

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
Thanks for searching that out. It looks like the previous year Airlift kit doesn't interfere with the sensors which is good news. Off the top of your head, do you know if there was any modification needed and if it works fine?
Interesting because the Airlift website shows no applications for 2021 F150's at all, and does have this for the prior years. I want to go with air bags but am leery of installing a system that the manufacturer does not support, even with that pic showing it in place. Still waiting on a response from Firestone...

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
No, one user said it was straight bolt on. Someone else said they had to temporarily bend a bracket holding a wire harness, just to get the lower bracket on one side of the truck.

Sponsored

Montanaskiier

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch and 2020 F-150 King Ranch
Occupation
Engineer
There are several kits available that do not interfere with the auto leveling headlights sensor. If I remember correctly, firestone ride right, and air lift are two that work.
It was a lot of work, but I just installed Firestone airbags and they work great for my horse trailer, however, I moved and remounted the ride height headlight sensor to the inside of the other frame rail. I had to weld up a new attachment bracket, and I installed a heat shield over the sensor to protect it from the hot exhaust. And, extend the wiring... not totally simple but worth it for me. Also, made good use of the welding class my wife and I went to this winter.

Desertdweller

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 KR PowerBoost FX 4
Occupation
Retired
I called Airlift around 4-6 weeks ago and was told that they were working on a 2021 kit, but that it would be a "few months" before they released it. I have been patiently waiting.

GLM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
I called Airlift around 4-6 weeks ago and was told that they were working on a 2021 kit, but that it would be a "few months" before they released it. I have been patiently waiting.
I used Firestone's web tool to find the Ride-Rite kit compatible with my 2021 F-150 (XLT SuperCab) then called Firestone to confirm. They confirmed the 2582 kit is compatible for the 2021 F-150. Guess what? The frame brackets align properly to only one of two frame mounting holes (the rear-side), while the other (front-side) is off-center. See pics. I think have three options: 1) return the kit; 2) make the front-side hole on the frame bracket larger; 3) make the front-side hole on the frame larger. I don't favor modifications to either the frame or frame bracket. What other reputable products are compatible?

Ford F-150 First F-150 - A couple of towing related questions for the veterans IMG_2364.JPG

Ford F-150 First F-150 - A couple of towing related questions for the veterans IMG_2365.JPG

Ford F-150 First F-150 - A couple of towing related questions for the veterans IMG_2366.JPG

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
It was a lot of work, but I just installed Firestone airbags and they work great for my horse trailer, however, I moved and remounted the ride height headlight sensor to the inside of the other frame rail. I had to weld up a new attachment bracket, and I installed a heat shield over the sensor to protect it from the hot exhaust. And, extend the wiring... not totally simple but worth it for me. Also, made good use of the welding class my wife and I went to this winter.
Wow, you are intrepid. I waited for the bolt-on solution.

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
FYI: looks like Airlift just released the LoadLifter bags for ‘21 F150.
Yep, I just ordered a set from RealTruck (part no ALT-89355 if you want the stainless steel hoses) - updated for the 2021 F-150 and will fit the PowerBoost or any model ‘21 F-150, including with the leveler bracket, so we’re good to go. Also got the compatible Airlift Wireless air control system.

Reactions: GLM

GLM

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150
Returned the Firestone Ride-Rite, air compressor and air compressor mount. Looking at the Load Lifter 5000 from Air Lift.

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
Yep, I just ordered a set from RealTruck (part no ALT-89355 if you want the stainless steel hoses) - updated for the 2021 F-150 and will fit the PowerBoost or any model ‘21 F-150, including with the leveler bracket, so we’re good to go. Also got the compatible Airlift Wireless air control system.
Can you post an update when installed? I’m new to towing but think I should get airlift. I squat a few inches when towing my work trailer. Was gunna take it to a scale in next week or so to see what tongue weight is. It’s got load dist hitch but still seems to squat a bunch

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired
Can you post an update when installed? I’m new to towing but think I should get airlift. I squat a few inches when towing my work trailer. Was gunna take it to a scale in next week or so to see what tongue weight is. It’s got load dist hitch but still seems to squat a bunch
I will do so but don’t have the truck yet. Supposed to be here next week. I may have the local truck guys install it along with a dash cam, tint and paint film.

OP
OP

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 4x4, 2013 Subaru BRZ
That’s awesome news about the airlift kit being released. Hopefully people can post some pics when they’re installed
Sponsored