jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
Tow Tech (17t) vs Trailer Tow (53A)
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/2022-lariat-powerboost-tow-tech-17t-vs-trailer-tow-53a.7512/

Discussion covered in multiple threads. Please know - your question is absolutely a very good one; the problem is, it's currently not a question that can be answered by anyone other than Ford . . . and Ford does not seem to be willing to answer it. I've written more than one letter asking for amplifying information (what's included on a 53A-equipped vehicle that warrants the additional towing capacity?). You'll quickly realize, if you haven't already, that many salesmen aren't familiar with the 7k-lbs limitation either. It's unfortunate.

Bottom line: Until Ford provides amplifying technical details - don't hold your breath - it comes down to how risk averse you are.
Thanks for the post!

Out of curiosity, where did you send the letter? I'll probably send one, too. The more the better?

It's crazy, I called the service department at my local dealer and the Ford customer phone number and both of them initially told me I had 12,400 trailer tow capacity... I had to explain to them how to read their own tow guide.
Sponsored

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Thanks for the post!

Out of curiosity, where did you send the letter? I'll probably send one, too. The more the better?

It's crazy, I called the service department at my local dealer and the Ford customer phone number and both of them initially told me I had 12,400 trailer tow capacity... I had to explain to them how to read their own tow guide.
It's f'n embarrassing, if you ask me. Customer Representative's fault for not knowing about Ford's vehicles; Ford's fault for not providing clear documentation or training to their personnel/dealerships.

Ford Motor Company
Customer Relationship Center
P.O. Box 6248
Dearborn, MI 48126

tboger7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 F-150 FX4
Occupation
Electrician
I had the same question with my Tremor as the 402a package included all of the tow tech and what not.

From doing some research on here and talking to a very knowledgeable Ford tech, the regular old trailer tow package adds larger, solid stabilizer bars and has a slightly larger cooling system.

Take that as you will.

I’ll see if I can find the thread.

HeySarge

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2022 Ford F-150 3.5L Hybri
Occupation
Airborne Logistics Systems Designer...kinda retired too!
Hi all,

First post here, but I have been reading through the forum for a few days now. I've seen a few discussions on the topic of towing capacity, but nothing answers my specific question.

I have a 2021 F-150 Powerboost XLT, 302A equipment group (window sticker attached) that I bought used with 2,500 miles on it. I can not seem to figure out the 2021 F-150 towing guide (attached) and trailer tow packages (descriptions listed in the towing guide).

My main question is how much can my truck tow? From the sticker, there are things worth noting. I have the 3.73 locking axle, the class IV hitch, pro backup assist, 7350 GVWR, smart trailer connect is part of the 302A group. But you'll see there is no tow package listed.

On the towing guide, the Powerboost can tow 11,000 or 12,400 pounds. The 12,400 pounds has note 2 next to it that says it requires the max tow package (pretty sure I don't have that because my hitch is only rated for 11,600 pounds on the sticker).

Also on the towing guide, there is a note 5 next to the Powerboost engine that says "Do not exceed a trailer weight of 7,000 lbs. (3,175 kg) or 36 sq. ft. (3.4 sq. m) trailer frontal area with only the Class IV hitch (53B), without the TrailerTow Package (53A)".

On the third to last page of the towing guide it gives all of the equipment included on the towing packages. My truck has everything of 53A except the trailer brake controller. I just had my dealership install the brake controller, giving me all of the equipment listed for the trailer tow package (53A).

It all boils down to this, am I now able to tow 11,000 pounds according to the towing guide because I have all of the equipment listed in the 53A package or am I technically still stuck at 7,000 pounds because I do not have a trailer tow package. I'm fully confident the truck can handle the 11,000, but the towing guide says I will void my warranty if I exceed 5,000/7,000 pounds without a tow package.

I know this is a lot, but Ford has made this all as clear as mud.
Great question...I have been asking the same questions and getting zero official answers from my dealer. I am not sure if there is anyone at Ford who can answer the question short of one of their lawyers when they end up in court...and I think we all know what way they are going to lean. Good luck in your answers for common sense and justice!

Sponsored

hcforde

First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick XLT, Honda Insight, Toyota Sequoia
I know of no way to get Ford to do a recertification. As I said, recertification is a rumor I’ve heard over the years. I’ve never heard of anyone actually doing it successfully and I’ve been at this towing stuff for awhile. I doubt your dealer knows how to get it done either. Dealers are notoriously stupid when it comes to towing and I never listen to what they tell me. They are untrained and will tell you what you want to hear to make a sale. That’s why I ponied up a little extra for a trailer tow package. Cheap insurance so I wouldn’t have to concern myself with these gray areas.
Recertification is doable, BUT, you have to have a shop that is certified to do the recertification.

TwiceAsBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fiesta, f150
Since this thread just got bumped, if anyone is interested in comparing parts on different vins, Canadian trucks with 302A included the trailer tow package, definitely in 2022, but I'm pretty sure in 2021 as well. You would just have to find a matching Canadian truck and it's vin. I added the max tow just to be sure so my vin won't be of use for this.
Sponsored