First F-150 - A couple of towing related questions for the veterans

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat 4x4, 2013 Subaru BRZ
I just picked up a new F150 after having owned Toyota trucks/suvs for the past 15 years, and I have a few questions that i'm hoping some of you can answer (Thanks in advance!)

-Does the 7 pin connector energize accessory power when parked/idling? I coudln't get my interior trailer lights to turn on when I hooked it up for the first time. Admittedly, it's also a new trailer that I didn't test when I was at the dealer, but I'm assuming the lighting is functional. When I run a 12v source to the wire, they power up. When I plug the 7pin in to the truck, they don't work

-If I level the truck (2" in the front), will the back end squat when towing? I have a Ready Lift 2" level kit on order, but I noticed the truck levels nicely when towing without it installed. My fear is that if I level it, the back end will sag when towing. What is everyone else doing with a level? Live with the squat? Add air bags?

Thanks!
Sponsored

Doublet

First Name
Tristan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 502A Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Development
I just picked up a new F150 after having owned Toyota trucks/suvs for the past 15 years, and I have a few questions that i'm hoping some of you can answer (Thanks in advance!)

-Does the 7 pin connector energize accessory power when parked/idling? I coudln't get my interior trailer lights to turn on when I hooked it up for the first time. Admittedly, it's also a new trailer that I didn't test when I was at the dealer, but I'm assuming the lighting is functional. When I run a 12v source to the wire, they power up. When I plug the 7pin in to the truck, they don't work

-If I level the truck (2" in the front), will the back end squat when towing? I have a Ready Lift 2" level kit on order, but I noticed the truck levels nicely when towing without it installed. My fear is that if I level it, the back end will sag when towing. What is everyone else doing with a level? Live with the squat? Add air bags?

Thanks!
For the first question, I'm not exactly sure but my 7pin is always active when the truck is on (idling or on battery power) but in terms of accessory power that may be something else needed to be hooked up separately.
And for the squatting, you will definitely see the difference when you level your truck, especially with a heavier tongue weight. I've been towing an 11,000lb water trailer around with my 21' PB and its been great (unleveled) and the squat looks perfect when I have it hooked up!
It also just depends if you would rather have it leaning forward when not towing and looking level when doing so, or it squatting while towing and have a level look when not. Sorry about that last sentence haha.

OP
OP

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
For the first question, I'm not exactly sure but my 7pin is always active when the truck is on (idling or on battery power) but in terms of accessory power that may be something else needed to be hooked up separately.
And for the squatting, you will definitely see the difference when you level your truck, especially with a heavier tongue weight. I've been towing an 11,000lb water trailer around with my 21' PB and its been great (unleveled) and the squat looks perfect when I have it hooked up!
It also just depends if you would rather have it leaning forward when not towing and looking level when doing so, or it squatting while towing and have a level look when not. Sorry about that last sentence haha.
For the second part, that's exactly my dilemma. Squat when towing or rake when not. I don't HATE the rake, I would just prefer a level look when driving around. I hate squat more than I hate rake. In my old Tacoma i just added airbags and had the best of both worlds, but apparently you can't add bags to a 21 F150 due to the headlight sensors.

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
For the second part, that's exactly my dilemma. Squat when towing or rake when not. I don't HATE the rake, I would just prefer a level look when driving around. I hate squat more than I hate rake. In my old Tacoma i just added airbags and had the best of both worlds, but apparently you can't add bags to a 21 F150 due to the headlight sensors.
That’s interesting. I was just starting to look into air bags as I tow around 7k lb trailer for work around once a month and def have a bit of squat. Where did you see you can’t add them? Appreciate it

OP
OP

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
That’s interesting. I was just starting to look into air bags as I tow around 7k lb trailer for work around once a month and def have a bit of squat. Where did you see you can’t add them? Appreciate it
You can get them for the 21 f150 as long as it doesn’t have the upgraded headlights. The leveling sensors are where the bag would go

Sponsored

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
You can get them for the 21 f150 as long as it doesn’t have the upgraded headlights. The leveling sensors are where the bag would go
There are several kits available that do not interfere with the auto leveling headlights sensor. If I remember correctly, firestone ride right, and air lift are two that work.

OP
OP

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Firestone is the one that specifically says it doesn’t work with the sensors. Airlift doesn’t make a kit for the 21

OP
OP

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 First F-150 - A couple of towing related questions for the veterans C4758CC4-AFE4-4881-A116-923B512FAB64
Ford F-150 First F-150 - A couple of towing related questions for the veterans 79EA8964-D764-4D7B-B751-29475441E684

r-model

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Competition Orange Mustang GT with some goodies, 2021 F150 XLT 302A Velocity Blue (ordered)
Occupation
designer
how about getting a load distribution hitch???

blueovalguy

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
how about getting a load distribution hitch???
I’ve got that already setup. Def helps. I don’t tow a ton, but figured the air bags would prolong the life of my suspension and reduce long term sagging?
The thing pulls like a champ compared to my 2010 f150. Power and braking are soooo easy. Just looking to level it a tad.
In my eyes the generator was more valuable than going to a 3/4 ton so I understand there are limitations to getting everything.

Sponsored

bobstar

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired

Thanks!
I had air bags on my 2009 XLT, loved them, made the towing experience exceptional, with the WDH.

bobstar

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I have the max tow coming on my 2021 6.5’ lariat, so I will see how it sits with trailer when it gets here

John_C

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302A PowerBoost
Do a search... Both here and on the Facebook page are multiple posts with airbags installed on trucks with the sensor arms. I'm almost positive firestone was the preferred choice.

OP
OP

Dixie

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Do a search... Both here and on the Facebook page are multiple posts with airbags installed on trucks with the sensor arms. I'm almost positive firestone was the preferred choice.
ive done a ton of searches, which is how I came to the conclusion that it’s not possible right now and one of the reasons I started this thread. I’m definitely open to being shown I’m not good at researching this, but I don’t know where else to look. I can’t imagine Firestone is the brand of choice when their website literally says it will not work on that specific application

mnsunset

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150/1965 Mustang
Occupation
Self Employed
How heavy of a trailer are you towing? Tongue weight and how the trailer is loaded makes a huge difference. I always use the WD Hitch. It should bring the rear end up very close to level even with the leveling kit, but it again depends on the trailer and tongue weight. Don't worry about the life of your suspension it will handle towing, over and over again. I towed 6k-9k pounds with my last 3.5 boost about 40000 miles over the last 4 years. Thats the only experience I have. If you start pushing higher weight numbers then it may differ.
Sponsored