OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
Better get that in writing. Ford won’t care what your dealer told you. Your insurance company won’t care. A plaintiff’s lawyer won’t care. And if you’re dealer is stupid enough to make that representation in writing, congratulations.

I have heard anecdotal rumors that a manufacturer can recertify a vehicle post-sale when a customer makes modifications but I’ve never heard of anyone actually getting one to do it successfully. If you are as risk averse as you represent, you should be contacting Ford, not your dealer.
I understand the risks, that's why I'm asking the questions.

I've called Ford's generic number and was met by a lady who didn't even know how to use the tow guide charts. Do you know of another contact method I should be using?

My dealership is supposedly taking this question to Ford on my behalf.

My trailer doesn't weigh more than 7,000 pounds, but I think there's a place for actually knowing the justification for my truck's capabilities.
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
I have a 6,600 pound travel trailer. Sure, it's under 7,000, but not by much. There's a difference in my mind the wear and tear on a truck pulling a 6,600 pound trailer that's rated for 7,000 pounds than one that is rated for 11,000.

I'm hoping my dealership can confirm if there is some additional modifications included in the trailer tow package that justifies the 4,000 pound difference or not.
Fair enough, so it seems your interest is a perception of effect on 'wear and tear', not an accident liability risk.

Here's a suggestion for your consideration: Ask your dealer parts folks to look up the replacement PN for your VIN's rear brake rotors, then look up the same for a matching model but with the Max Trailer Tow Package.

Nope, not a trick question and I don't know if they'll be different, but that's one item (rear brake rotor diameter and thickness) which some sources (e.g. Ford's own 2021 F150 eSourceBook > Specs > Chassis > Brake System Specifications) suggest is a difference with Max Trailer Tow (even though not advertised or publicized in many other Ford publications). Seems that item should be easy enough to confirm by parts lookup using the dealer's system.

EDIT - just realized I could attach that eSourceBook so here it is; the Brake System Specifications I mention above are on PDF page 39/54 if interested.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
Fair enough, so it seems your interest is a perception of effect on 'wear and tear', not an accident liability risk.

Here's a suggestion for your consideration: Ask your dealer parts folks to look up the replacement PN for your VIN's rear brake rotors, then look up the same for a matching model but with the Max Trailer Tow Package.

Nope, not a trick question and I don't know if they'll be different, but that's one item (rear brake rotor diameter and thickness) which some sources (e.g. Ford's own 2021 F150 eSourceBook > Specs > Chassis > Brake System Specifications) suggest is a difference with Max Trailer Tow (even though not advertised or publicized in many other Ford publications). Seems that item should be easy enough to confirm by parts lookup using the dealer's system.
Yes, basically. I want to know if it's a perception of wear and tear or an actual reality by running near max tow for extended durations.

That's a good thought, unfortunately I don't know the extent of part comparisons that I should be doing. I could do brakes, rear axle, springs...but I don't know the extent to which I should dig.

That's a good thought.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I understand the risks, that's why I'm asking the questions.

I've called Ford's generic number and was met by a lady who didn't even know how to use the tow guide charts. Do you know of another contact method I should be using?

My dealership is supposedly taking this question to Ford on my behalf.

My trailer doesn't weigh more than 7,000 pounds, but I think there's a place for actually knowing the justification for my truck's capabilities.
I know of no way to get Ford to do a recertification. As I said, recertification is a rumor I’ve heard over the years. I’ve never heard of anyone actually doing it successfully and I’ve been at this towing stuff for awhile. I doubt your dealer knows how to get it done either. Dealers are notoriously stupid when it comes to towing and I never listen to what they tell me. They are untrained and will tell you what you want to hear to make a sale. That’s why I ponied up a little extra for a trailer tow package. Cheap insurance so I wouldn’t have to concern myself with these gray areas.

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
That's a good thought, unfortunately I don't know the extent of part comparisons that I should be doing. I could do brakes, rear axle, springs...but I don't know the extent to which I should dig.
Well, if the brake rotors are different, and that's not a commonly advertised difference, than it would seem that's clue enough that there are substantive differences between the Max Trailer Tow package and those without even having similar 'ala carte Order Guide' options.

Braking alone could make the 'justifiable' difference in the trailer weight rating and real-world capabilities if you have any faith and understanding of the SAE J2807 test standard which is the basis for those ratings.

Note the edit and added attachment to my previous post, just FYI.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
Well, if the brake rotors are different, and that's not a commonly advertised difference, than it would seem that's clue enough that there are substantive differences between the Max Trailer Tow package and those without even having similar 'Order Guide' options.

Braking alone could make the 'justifiable' difference in the trailer weight rating and real-world capabilities if you have any faith and understanding of the SAE J2807 test standard which is the basis for those ratings.

Note the edit and added attachment to my previous post, just FYI.
I'll look into it.

I'm not making the case for max trailer tow - I know I don't have that because my hitch rating is 11,600 (the same one that comes on trailer tow, I believe max tow is somewhere closer to 14,000).

I'll apply the same concept to the trailer tow package, though. Based on quite a few other threads on here, axles, stabilizer bars, leaf springs, radiator cores, and hitch (probably some I've missed) part numbers between the powerboost with no trailer tow package and trucks with trailer tow package are the exact same.

OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
Is your trailer 6600 dry or gross ? Have you weighed it ?
4,500 dry, 6000 GVWR.

I'm not new to towing. Like a lot of people, apparently, I'm just trying to figure out what makes the trailer tow package capable of 4,000 more pounds of towing than the standard powerboost even though no one can find a single difference in part number of any component. Trailer tow package, not max trailer tow package.

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
4,500 dry, 6000 GVWR.

I'm not new to towing. Like a lot of people, apparently, I'm just trying to figure out what makes the trailer tow package capable of 4,000 more pounds of towing than the standard powerboost even though no one can find a single difference in part number of any component. Trailer tow package, not max trailer tow package.
I think you're fine with that trailer. ?

As far as expecting more transparency from Ford, good luck, hah!. ?

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
4,500 dry, 6000 GVWR.

By now, you have probably read a lot of threads on this forum about towing. All have eventually asked the same question you have. Not a similar question, the same question: What’s the difference between the base trucks rated for 7,000 lbs and the ones with the trailer tow package rated for 11,000? Your inquiry is not new. Your reasoning is not new. I’m not saying it’s flawed. It’s just not new.

What should also be clear from these threads is that there is no definitive answer to the question you asked. There’s only speculation and conjecture. And if you get tired of the threads here—or believe that the many discussions simply haven’t been deep enough or the posters not diligent (or smart) enough—read the same discussions on Air Forums. Same result—no definitive answer. And there are a lot of really well-informed people who have dug into this from a plethora of angles. You aren’t the first smart guy with a clever metaphor to ponder it.

And if this isn’t discouraging enough, it gets worse. You won’t get a definitive answer from Ford. You’ll never get to “the guy” who has the answer. You won’t get one from your dealer and it wouldn’t be worth much even if you did. So, I go back to what I said earlier—it’s a question of risk. Can your truck tow more than 7K? Probably. Do you want a guarantee that it can or an assurance that if you do so there won’t be negative consequences? Not going to happen. You’ll probably be ok is the coin of the realm on this one.

In the end, there really is only one key difference between the base trucks and the trucks with the trailer tow package. Ford rates the former to tow 7K. Ford rates the latter to tow 11K. Why? Who knows. You have to decide what that rating’s worth to you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
By now, you have probably read a lot of threads on this forum about towing. All have eventually asked the same question you have. Not a similar question, the same question: What’s the difference between the base trucks rated for 7,000 lbs and the ones with the trailer tow package rated for 11,000? Your inquiry is not new. Your reasoning is not new. I’m not saying it’s flawed. It’s just not new.

What should also be clear from these threads is that there is no definitive answer to the question you asked. There’s only speculation and conjecture. And if you get tired of the threads here—or believe that the many discussions simply haven’t been deep enough or the posters not diligent (or smart) enough—read the same discussions on Air Forums. Same result—no definitive answer. And there are a lot of really well-informed people who have dug into this from a plethora of angles. You aren’t the first smart guy with a clever metaphor to ponder it.

And if this isn’t discouraging enough, it gets worse. You won’t get a definitive answer from Ford. You’ll never get to “the guy” who has the answer. You won’t get one from your dealer and it wouldn’t be worth much even if you did. So, I go back to what I said earlier—it’s a question of risk. Can your truck tow more than 7K? Probably. Do you want a guarantee that it can or an assurance that if you do so there won’t be negative consequences? Not going to happen. You’ll probably be ok is the coin of the realm on this one.
I'm not claiming to have found a new problem or a unique way to have looked at it.

I appreciate your perspective and yiuce

JEB,

I honestly appreciate your perspective on this. I don't understand why you feel the need to talk down to me and be passively condescending in every reply you've made, but I appreciate the insight. I've yet to disagree with something you've said.

OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
I think you're fine with that trailer. ?

As far as expecting more transparency from Ford, good luck, hah!. ?
Haha I'm hoping my local dealer can get me a decent answer, they've supposedly elevated it. But I will absolutely curb my expectations.

Thanks for your posts!

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I'm not claiming to have found a new problem or a unique way to have looked at it.

I appreciate your perspective and yiuce
JEB,

I honestly appreciate your perspective on this. I don't understand why you feel the need to talk down to me and be passively condescending in every reply you've made, but I appreciate the insight. I've yet to disagree with something you've said.
My intent is not to be condescending. I am to a great degree expressing my own frustration. I asked the same question myself last year in my own research (not here but directly to the dealers and Ford) and met with the same depressing result. I know where your inquiry is going to end up. If that’s coming across as condescending, that is not my intent and I apologize.

One final thought and I’ll depart. Ask you dealer if it has a fleet department with access to the fleet website at https://www.fleet.ford.com/. There is a tool there called the VIN Decoder that isn’t accessible to the public. You can see the link at the bottom of the page. Someone with access can input your VIN and it will print out all of the tow and payload ratings and related equipment for your specific truck as built. Works for any Ford truck. It’s probably the best you’ll get from Ford as to what it’s willing to certify.

Last edited:

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
Tow Tech (17t) vs Trailer Tow (53A)
https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/threads/2022-lariat-powerboost-tow-tech-17t-vs-trailer-tow-53a.7512/

Discussion covered in multiple threads. Please know - your question is absolutely a very good one; the problem is, it's currently not a question that can be answered by anyone other than Ford . . . and Ford does not seem to be willing to answer it. I've written more than one letter asking for amplifying information (what's included on a 53A-equipped vehicle that warrants the additional towing capacity?). You'll quickly realize, if you haven't already, that many salesmen aren't familiar with the 7k-lbs limitation either. It's unfortunate.

Bottom line: Until Ford provides amplifying technical details - don't hold your breath - it comes down to how risk averse you are.

OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
My intent is not to be condescending. I am to a great degree expressing my own frustration. I asked the same question myself last year in my own research (not here but directly to the dealers and Ford) and met with the same depressing result. I know where your inquiry is going to end up. If that’s coming across as condescending, that is not my intent and I apologize.

One final thought and I’ll depart. Ask you dealer if it has a fleet department with access to the fleet website at https://www.fleet.ford.com/. There is a tool there called the VIN Decoder that isn’t accessible to the public. You can see the link at the bottom of the page. Someone with access can input your VIN and it will print out all of the tow and payload ratings and related equipment for your specific truck as built. Works for any Ford truck. It’s probably the best you’ll get from Ford as to what it’s willing to certify.
Thanks Jeb, I can certainly understand that. And share in the frustration! ?

That is very useful to know! I talked with the service manager earlier today. I'll call him tomorrow and ask about the VIN Decoder.
Sponsored