jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
Hi all,

First post here, but I have been reading through the forum for a few days now. I've seen a few discussions on the topic of towing capacity, but nothing answers my specific question.

I have a 2021 F-150 Powerboost XLT, 302A equipment group (window sticker attached) that I bought used with 2,500 miles on it. I can not seem to figure out the 2021 F-150 towing guide (attached) and trailer tow packages (descriptions listed in the towing guide).

My main question is how much can my truck tow? From the sticker, there are things worth noting. I have the 3.73 locking axle, the class IV hitch, pro backup assist, 7350 GVWR, smart trailer connect is part of the 302A group. But you'll see there is no tow package listed.

On the towing guide, the Powerboost can tow 11,000 or 12,400 pounds. The 12,400 pounds has note 2 next to it that says it requires the max tow package (pretty sure I don't have that because my hitch is only rated for 11,600 pounds on the sticker).

Also on the towing guide, there is a note 5 next to the Powerboost engine that says "Do not exceed a trailer weight of 7,000 lbs. (3,175 kg) or 36 sq. ft. (3.4 sq. m) trailer frontal area with only the Class IV hitch (53B), without the TrailerTow Package (53A)".

On the third to last page of the towing guide it gives all of the equipment included on the towing packages. My truck has everything of 53A except the trailer brake controller. I just had my dealership install the brake controller, giving me all of the equipment listed for the trailer tow package (53A).

It all boils down to this, am I now able to tow 11,000 pounds according to the towing guide because I have all of the equipment listed in the 53A package or am I technically still stuck at 7,000 pounds because I do not have a trailer tow package. I'm fully confident the truck can handle the 11,000, but the towing guide says I will void my warranty if I exceed 5,000/7,000 pounds without a tow package.

I know this is a lot, but Ford has made this all as clear as mud.
Sponsored

Attachments

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Technically, if you don't have the Trailer Tow Package or Max Tow Package, you're limited to a 7,000# trailer according to Ford.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Ford pass app has detailed information for each vehicle’s VIN and includes payload and towing capacity. Even has a fancy calculator to help with figuring out tongue weight of a given trailer.

OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
Technically, if you don't have the Trailer Tow Package or Max Tow Package, you're limited to a 7,000# trailer according to Ford.
Hi Mark,

I guess my question is do I technically have the trailer tow package since I have all of the options it includes in the towing guide now that I have added the trailer brake controller? I have the 7/4 pin connector, I have the class IV hitch, I have smart trailer tow connector, I have the trailer brake controller, I have the tailgate LED, and I have pro trailer backup assist.

Unless the trailer tow package includes something secret, I check all the boxes. I even go a little beyond with 3.73 locking axle, 7350 GVWR, etc. I guess trans cooler and engine oil cooler are standard now, because those aren't listed on the max tow package like they were in previous years.

OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
Ford pass app has detailed information for each vehicle’s VIN and includes payload and towing capacity. Even has a fancy calculator to help with figuring out tongue weight of a given trailer.
Jarred,

I have the ford pass app. Forgive my ignorance, but can you point me to where I can see payload and towing? I see where to remote start/lock/unlock. Under the vehicle tab I see some info, but not a place for towing and tongue weight info.

Sponsored

UGADawg96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 302A 157 PB
You'll max out your payload before towing capacity, so I'd suggest starting there.

OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
You'll max out your payload before towing capacity, so I'd suggest starting there.
My max payload is 1659 pounds from the sticker on the door. With a 10% tongue weight and subtracting my weight and cargo, I could still have enough payload to tow more than a 7,000 pound trailer. But according to the tow guide, I need to have a trailer tow package for that, which I don't technically have on the sticker, but I do have all of the listed components.

DBL R

First Name
Jarred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 powerboost
Occupation
PA
Jarred,

I have the ford pass app. Forgive my ignorance, but can you point me to where I can see payload and towing? I see where to remote start/lock/unlock. Under the vehicle tab I see some info, but not a place for towing and tongue weight info.
I just went back through the app and it isn’t there anymore. Ford must have updated the app and removed the info. Before even receiving my truck I was able to review my payload and play with trailer weight calculations within the app. Looks like it’s been dropped. Sorry for the misinformation.

OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
I just went back through the app and it isn’t there anymore. Ford must have updated the app and removed the info. Before even receiving my truck I was able to review my payload and play with trailer weight calculations within the app. Looks like it’s been dropped. Sorry for the misinformation.
Not a problem. Seems like a useful feature for them to get rid of, though.

I spoke with my local dealership and they didn't have an answer for me. They were able to pull up my truck by vin and see that it has the upgraded 9.75 axle, 3.73 locking diff, upgraded 7350 payload, pro trailer backup assist, and every single feature of the trailer tow package added indivually except the trailer brake controller. I had an oem trailer brake controller installed by the dealership. They couldn't say if that upgraded me from the 7,000 pound tow limit to the 11,000 tow limit though. I guess they are going to forward it up to a higher level to try and get an answer.

I can't imagine it will still be limited to 7000 pounds with all of that, but I guess it's possible.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Sorry to break it to you, but as far as Ford is concerned, you are limited to 7,000 lbs towing unless you have either a trailer tow package or a max tow package. Equally unfortunately, an odyssey through various Ford towing and build guides and debates about what is and is not in its equipment packages really doesn’t add anything new that hasn’t already been discussed exhaustively. Here is only one (of many) representative threads: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...e-vs-tow-technology-package.8387/#post-158313.

It comes down to risk. Is Ford’s representation about how much the truck can tow worth anything to you? Warranty coverage? Expert witness in the event of a bad accident or dispute over insurance coverage? That you will have to decide for yourself.

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
First post here, but I have been reading through the forum for a few days now. I've seen a few discussions on the topic of towing capacity, but nothing answers my specific question.
I think @JEB nailed it in the previous post.

Just curious .... what type trailer and how much weight do you actually want (or need / expect) to tow?

OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
Sorry to break it to you, but as far as Ford is concerned, you are limited to 7,000 lbs towing unless you have either a trailer tow package or a max tow package. Equally unfortunately, an odyssey through various Ford towing and build guides and debates about what is and is not in its equipment packages really doesn’t add anything new that hasn’t already been discussed exhaustively. Here is only one (of many) representative threads: https://www.f150gen14.com/forum/thr...e-vs-tow-technology-package.8387/#post-158313.

It comes down to risk. Is Ford’s representation about how much the truck can tow worth anything to you? Warranty coverage? Expert witness in the event of a bad accident or dispute over insurance coverage? That you will have to decide for yourself.
I'm fairly risk adverse, that's why I've asked the question to my dealership. After adding the trailer brake controller, according to the towing manual I have every piece of equipment included in the trailer tow package.

If my dealer agrees that I have a trailer tow package because I have all the components, I don't think I'm being risky by then operating under the direction that I can tow 11,000 pounds.

A dozen eggs is 12 eggs whether they come in a pack of 12 or I buy them individually, right?

OP
OP

jwander92

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Powerboost,
I think @JEB nailed it in the previous post.

Just curious .... what type trailer and how much weight do you actually want (or need / expect) to tow?
I have a 6,600 pound travel trailer. Sure, it's under 7,000, but not by much. There's a difference in my mind the wear and tear on a truck pulling a 6,600 pound trailer that's rated for 7,000 pounds than one that is rated for 11,000.

I'm hoping my dealership can confirm if there is some additional modifications included in the trailer tow package that justifies the 4,000 pound difference or not.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I'm fairly risk adverse, that's why I've asked the question to my dealership. After adding the trailer brake controller, according to the towing manual I have every piece of equipment included in the trailer tow package.

If my dealer agrees that I have a trailer tow package because I have all the components, I don't think I'm being risky by then operating under the direction that I can tow 11,000 pounds.

A dozen eggs is 12 eggs whether they come in a pack of 12 or I buy them individually, right?
Better get that in writing. Ford won’t care what your dealer told you. Your insurance company won’t care. A plaintiff’s lawyer won’t care. And if your dealer is stupid enough to make that representation in writing, congratulations.

I have heard anecdotal rumors that a manufacturer can recertify a vehicle post-sale when a customer makes modifications but I’ve never heard of anyone actually getting one to do it successfully. If you are as risk averse as you represent, you should be contacting Ford, not your dealer.
Sponsored

Last edited: