First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
Saw a video of a wreck this morning on the local news involving a very late model F150 and the bed appeared to be 100% fiberglass. I never knew that to be the case. I can't believe any maker would do that.
Sponsored

tbinmd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 KR F150
The outer shell was fiber glass and the inner liner of the bed was steel. Fiberglass was for the fender flares. Same thing on a F350 dually.

Last edited:

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Depending on the end use, fiberglass, or some sort of composite isn’t that much worse than aluminum alloy or steel as a bed material.

I am sure many were upset when wood beds (a sort of composite) were replaced by steel!

Reactions: 780

Sponsored

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
302a crew - 6'5" Sport, Max Tow, FX4
Depending on the end use, fiberglass, or some sort of composite isn’t that much worse than aluminum alloy or steel as a bed material.

I am sure many were upset when wood beds (a sort of composite) were replaced by steel!
Yep. Pretty sure new Tacoma's and Tundra's have composite beds.

SRHAGEN

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150 XL SPRCAB Sport 4x4 V8 3.73 36 gl tank.
Occupation
DOD USAF test track ARMY RETIRED PMEL/TMDE
Yep to the yotas being plastic. Claims it’s stronger and more durable. No dents.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
I have had a 2009 Tacoma with a composite bed since I bought the truck new (ordered it). I did not really like it at first but over the years I have really put it through its paces and it has held up remarkably. It does kind of look like a drop in bed liner but what it lacked in visual appearance it made up for with functionality.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Yep. Pretty sure new Tacoma's and Tundra's have composite beds.
Tacoma has been compression molded fiberglass reinforced plastic (composite) for the past 18 years. New Tundra uses a similar fiberglass reinforced plastic (composite) today.

Same was true for the Sport Trac and some of the Ridgeline.
The GMC optional Carbon-Pro box is carbon fiber reinforced...very expensive solution.

Reactions: 780

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
Saw a video of a wreck this morning on the local news involving a very late model F150 and the bed appeared to be 100% fiberglass. I never knew that to be the case. I can't believe any maker would do that.
No idea what you were seeing....maybe a drop in liner or reinforced spray-in. The F150 floor and inner walls are aluminum.

Regardless...keep in mind that 100% fiberglass would just be a pile of strings or fibers that are about as strong as a pile of grass clippings. People talk about boats and Corvette body panels being "fiberglass". They are really fiberglass reinforced composites. The glass might be chopped, strands or woven mat....but it is just the reinforcement in the mix of fiber, resin, fillers and other additives for color or fire resistance, etc.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
No idea what you were seeing....maybe a drop in liner or reinforced spray-in. The F150 floor and inner walls are aluminum.

Regardless...keep in mind that 100% fiberglass would just be a pile of strings or fibers that are about as strong as a pile of grass clippings. People talk about boats and Corvette body panels being "fiberglass". They are really fiberglass reinforced composites. The glass might be chopped, strands or woven mat....but it is just the reinforcement in the mix of fiber, resin, fillers and other additives for color or fire resistance, etc.
I know what damaged fiberglass looks like and it was fiberglass. It was a side view only not a top view. Bottom line is I was not aware any portion of the beds (sides) were anything other than a metal of some sort. I don't like the idea simply because of the huge difference in repairing a dent versus replacing the part regardless of the weight factor.

Zengineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 157wb
I know what damaged fiberglass looks like and it was fiberglass. It was a side view only not a top view. Bottom line is I was not aware any portion of the beds (sides) were anything other than a metal of some sort. I don't like the idea simply because of the huge difference in repairing a dent versus replacing the part regardless of the weight factor.
I would like to see that picture. I can only guess it was a liner, toolbox, tonneau, topper, one of the underbody shields (some are fiberglass reinforced), part of another vehicle, or something other than the bed floor, bed walls or exterior bodysides.

I am not just guessing about the bed structure. I've been involved in automotive composites for over 35 years including many Ford vehicles. The Lightning has a composite floor/ tub/liner in the FRUNK but I'll assume you know the front from the back.

Last edited:

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
From a 2018
Ford F-150 Fibre Glass Beds? 1654707615961

That would be some crazy strong/flexible fiberglass.

OP
OP

fmdog44

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 XL
Occupation
Retired
I would like to see that picture. I can o ly guess it was a liner, toolbox, tonneau, topper or something other than the bed floor, bed walls or exterior bodysides.

I am not just guessing about the bed structure. Ive been involved in automotive composites for over 35 years including many Ford vehicles. The Lightning has a composite floor/ tub/liner in the FRUNK but I'll assume you know the front from the back.
You guess wrong. It was the entire bed side exterior, not the floor like T-boned. No pic as it was on TV.

Pedaldude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Lincoln Navigator, 2021 Ford F-150
Many aftermarket body panels are fiberglass, especially the ones with huge flares. Some of them look almost OEM, especially when they have a good paint job or available stock graphics stickers:

https://www.mcneilracinginc.com/pro...raptor-2-off-road-fiberglass-bedsides-5-5-bed

Often on a quality fiberglass panel, an impact that would dent a steel or especially aluminum panel won’t even scratch the gelcoat let alone damage the panel. If the impact is enough to destroy the fiberglass panel, it likely will destroy the metal panel beyond repair as well.

When Pontiac started making urethane bumpers, they had to do an entire ad campaign to dissuade any fears about a plastic bumper:

Sponsored