Sponsored

Fake engine sound

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Did Ford put the fake engine sound in the 2021?
I personally didn't care for it in a previous 150 I had. I found documentation online to disconnect it, which I did.
Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I personally didn't care for it in a previous 150 I had. I found documentation online to disconnect it, which I did.
Good question, especially on the PowerBoost. I actually didn't mine it at all on my 18 so won't matter to me on the 21 either.

mblatz

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Ranger
Typically they go through the radio's speakers right? Gotta pull the fuse for the infotainment system to find out... I'm interested to hear the answer as well although at least with the 5.0 it seems unnecessary!

OP
OP
Wishiwas

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
Looks like there is a way to do it with Forscan on previous models. I will have to see if the codes still match up on the 21 when my truck comes in.

GABAR

First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 F150
The vast majority of non V8 equipped vehicles from”every make” has the augmented engine sound coming through the sound system and this has not changed for 2021.

With that being said and if this also applies to SYNC 4, this feature can be disabled via something like FORScan and some car audio shops that know what their doing can also disable it.

Any Ford dealer can disable it but the odds of finding one that will do it is 0-0.5%

Sponsored

OP
OP
Wishiwas

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
The vast majority of non V8 equipped vehicles from”every make” has the augmented engine sound coming through the sound system and this has not changed for 2021.

With that being said and if this also applies to SYNC 4, this feature can be disabled via something like FORScan and some car audio shops that know what their doing can also disable it.

Any Ford dealer can disable it but the odds of finding one that will do it is 0-0.5%
I would never pay a dealership to do a simple function like that. They charge an arm and a leg just to pull in the garage, and most dealers won't allow you to alter the vehicle beyond factory settings. I made my own Forscan tool with switch.

Last edited:

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota Matrix
Occupation
Retired
I would think one of the reasons for the Powerboost would be reduced engine noise. To pipe in exhaust notes would be counter productive. I'd really like to know if this is the case.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
Apparently, this is something Ford has done since 2015 with the beginning of the thirteenth Gen. F-150. They also use this technique on other vehicles including the 2.3L EcoBoost four cylinder and V6s in the Mustangs.

Iwas aware of it during my test drives. I thought the PowerBoost and EcoBoost engines sounded great, but didn’t realize how prominent the “enhanced” sound was. I also remember driving an F-150 EcoBoost with the windows down on one occasion (the 2.7L if I recall correctly), and I could discern the turbos spooling up if I listened closely, which I thought was really cool!

In my opinion, the 3.5 EcoBoosts and PowerBoosts sounded pretty decent. Alas, there is still no comparison to a good old V8 at full tilt, though!

ldsavow

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Internet Admin
This is what I am waiting on..
HOPING they offer it for the 2021 Powerboost engine....

Product highlights for the F-150 ROUSH Active Cat-Back Exhaust Kit:

• Fits the 2015-2020 F-150 with 5.0L, 3.3L Ti-VCT, 3.5L EcoBoost (non-Raptor), or 2.7L Ecoboost engines
  • Does not fit short-cab configurations
  • ROUSH-designed high-flow muffler
  • More aggressive tone over stock
  • Made from durable corrosion-resistant high grade 304 stainless steel
  • Full mandrel-bent piping for consistent flow
  • Dual 4" Stainless Steel tips etched with the ROUSH logo
  • Uses OEM hangers and mounting points
  • Requires no welding
  • Includes all necessary hardware
  • ROUSH Limited Lifetime Warranty included
  • This product will NOT fit F-150’s equipped with the High Output (H.O.) 3.5L EcoBoost engine.

Take control of your F-150's exhaust!

With a durable high-performance muffler, corrosion-resistant T-304 stainless steel and high-flow mandrel bends, our ROUSH F-150 Active Exhaust system uses ROUSH Performance valve technology to control your exhaust note and make your F150 stand out from the crowd. The included console-mounted selector switch seamlessly switches your exhaust between "Open" and "Closed" modes in the blink of an eye.

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
This is all news to me..
So I've been thinking this V-8 sounds pretty good...
So if the sound system is turned off does the truck then sound differently???
I learn something here everyday..

Sponsored

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
This is all news to me..
Me too Sunny!

I have learned I am the extreme extreme extreme minority in thinking that noise is an unwanted waste product and you want to design for least noise possible. Like in electronics, heat is an unwanted waste product and you want as little as possible.

So it came as complete shock to me that people hate the ecoboost because it "doesn't sound good" or that Ford would engineer in fake noise. As an engineer I would have been trying everything to get rid of the noise (like a full electric vehicle)!

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
Me too Sunny!

I have learned I am the extreme extreme extreme minority in thinking that noise is an unwanted waste product and you want to design for least noise possible. Like in electronics, heat is an unwanted waste product and you want as little as possible.

So it came as complete shock to me that people hate the ecoboost because it "doesn't sound good" or that Ford would engineer in fake noise. As an engineer I would have been trying everything to get rid of the noise (like a full electric vehicle)!
Then I am also in that small group. I do however want power and all the low in torque I can get.

Luxury truck luxury quite.

I will say the fake sound is not fake sounding at all and not unpleasant to me, it is only on full throttle and when I found out about it I couldn't believe it, other wise I would never had know.

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
This is all news to me..
If the truck is on and the doors are closed, the truck is programmed to pipe “enhanced” noise through the speakers regardless if the system (Bluetooth, FM Radio, etc.) is off.

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
If the truck is on and the doors are closed, the truck is programmed to pipe “enhanced” noise through the speakers regardless if the system (Bluetooth, FM Radio, etc.) is off.
I remember watching a vid on how to disable this in forscan (it just came up in my youtube suggestions!) and it was the first I'd heard of it. I think it was only Lariat and up? Or was it KR and up?

SonnyDigs

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch
That just blows me away.. I consider myself a tech head but have never heard of this before..
Learning everyday..
Sponsored