Sponsored

Engine options

Imtheweezel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Hi all! I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and wanted to get your input and opinion. I'm leaning towards the Powerboost but would really like to drive it before I decide. Unfortunately, there aren't many in town and they don't last but a day in the lot. I went to my dealership today and I was advised to get the EB over the V8. Those of you with more experience, which engine would you recommend? Hopefully the raptor will be announced soon and I'll just go ahead an order that one!

Thank you for your input.
Sponsored

NumbersGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 King Ranch
Hi all! I'm getting close to pulling the trigger and wanted to get your input and opinion. I'm leaning towards the Powerboost but would really like to drive it before I decide. Unfortunately, there aren't many in town and they don't last but a day in the lot. I went to my dealership today and I was advised to get the EB over the V8. Those of you with more experience, which engine would you recommend? Hopefully the raptor will be announced soon and I'll just go ahead an order that one!

Interested to hear why the dealer would recommend EB over 5.0? I ordered the 5.0. If it doesn't have enough power for me, the 5.0 has a lot more headroom for improvements than the EB, in my opinion. I also feel the EB won't last as long as the stock 5.0, but that's just my feeling.

Jposey

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum FX4 V8 3.73
I had a 2014 EB with the 3.5. It had great power, but my biggest gripe was not being sure what I would get when I pressed the gas pedal. It was like the computer couldn’t figure out if it wanted to downshift, wait for the compression to hit or both. Most of the time when pressing the gas pedal when getting on the interstate, it would be nothing, nothing, nothing, then everything. My turbos needed overhaul at 90k, which is a couple grand. This time I went with the V8 with a 73 back end. Couldn’t be happier.

jrappy

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 XLT EcoBoost Supercrew
I had a 2014 EB with the 3.5. It had great power, but my biggest gripe was not being sure what I would get when I pressed the gas pedal. It was like the computer couldn’t figure out if it wanted to downshift, wait for the compression to hit or both. Most of the time when pressing the gas pedal when getting on the interstate, it would be nothing, nothing, nothing, then everything. My turbos needed overhaul at 90k, which is a couple grand. This time I went with the V8 with a 73 back end. Couldn’t be happier.
I hear ya on the EB trying to figure out what it wanted to do but haven't had any issues yet..creeping up on 100k now on my 2013. Trying to figure out if I want the 5.0 or EB...or if i want EB or PB

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I chose the normally aspirated v8 because there is less to fail and maintain and has the necessary power to do what it needs to do without add on go fast stuff.
I still have the first truck I bought new when I was still 18- a 79 Chev with 420k before I retired/parked it about 12 yrs ago.
My Ranger was 2 days away from it’s 15th year away from the dealer on the day I ordered my new from the same dealer.
My predominate runaround I bought out of a pasture and have had it 10 yrs now, and it is my favorite mode of transport to date (98 k1500 5.7 5spd 4x4)

I prefer to keep it all simple as I tend to keep these things a very long time.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Imtheweezel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Interested to hear why the dealer would recommend EB over 5.0? I ordered the 5.0. If it doesn't have enough power for me, the 5.0 has a lot more headroom for improvements than the EB, in my opinion. I also feel the EB won't last as long as the stock 5.0, but that's just my feeling.
Not sure. They have an equal distribution of V8 and EB engines in the lot. I’m going to go back to test drive all three of them (including PB) back to back and I’ll ask. I just wanted to get an opinion here.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I drove a 2.7 EB in the test drive event some time ago.
I am not even ashamed to say that this thing was quite zippy and would
provide an average pickup owner ( almost everyone in Texas) plenty of power for trips to the home improvement store, pulling a u-haul to move you friends and relatives to get the kids to school events, and the power to get out of its own way on the hiway.

Also drove the v8. Was impressed with it as well. While not quite as “zippy” at lower speeds, it just felt more determined and positive un acceleration.

A bout 3-4 years ago, I rented an f150 4x4 with the 3.3 NA v6.
Had this thing 6 weeks and still shake my head when asked “why not a six.”
This thing could not get out of its own way, seemed like it took 4 days to reach 60mph, and there is no way I would attempt to pass someone on a 2lane hiway.
(Some of this perception is a lifetime of driving big cube 8hole powered trucks)

I ordered the v8 and 3.31 gears. Not really high performance oriented but will get the job done on the few times towing and load capabilities will be “tested”.
But for the most part, will be a rural commuter with good roads and little traffic.

Probably don’t even NEED the 4x4 and locking rear, but I have been known to do stupid stuff occasional. Blond, blue eyed & Polish = Trifecta of idiocy

Knickell

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda Protege, Ford F-150
I went with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine for my build. I was very impressed with the get up of the 2.7L EcoBoost I drove and the extra power and torque and the 3.5 will be even greater.

I opted not to get the PowerBoost this time around because of the first year run of the hybrid powertrain. However, if that doesn’t bother you the extra ProPower is a true game changer. The slight turbo lag usually associated with the EcoBoost and other turbo charged engines is non-existent because the battery helps out while the turbos are spoiling up. It’s quite impressive.

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
I went with the 3.5L EcoBoost engine for my build. I was very impressed with the get up of the 2.7L EcoBoost I drove and the extra power and torque and the 3.5 will be even greater.

I opted not to get the PowerBoost this time around because of the first year run of the hybrid powertrain. However, if that doesn’t bother you the extra ProPower is a true game changer. The slight turbo lag usually associated with the EcoBoost and other turbo charged engines is non-existent because the battery helps out while the turbos are spoiling up. It’s quite impressive.
I have a 2017 with 2.7 EcoBoost and bought a box that gets hooked into gas pedal hook up. It took a mild truck and made it a beast by removing the lag between pushing the pedal down and the truck responding. It is called a pedal commander

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I went from a V8 to the 3.5 ecoboost in my 2013 and loved the huge low end torque and Hp. Had the same in my 2015, 2018 and now the PowerBoost, which is due in any day now.

I have loved all my eco's over the years, all with no issues, I will say the best combination was when the 10 speed came out.

I did get to test drive a PowerBoost at a Ford drive event. That made it a no brainier!! That thing is a race car and torque monster.

If you read what those are saying that have just got their PowerBoost in or have test drove one, all say that is the engine to have. I guess that's why there seems to be a shortage of PowerBoost drive trains for builds. More are ordering than Ford thought they would.

If I couldn't get the PowerBoost if would be the 3.5 eco, I mean 400 hp and 500 ft lb of torque, duh! Lol

Kefoster2
You ever put it in sport mode? big difference too.

Sponsored

rucus0101

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Navigator, Mustang
The 5.0 is a great motor, for a mustang. The 5.0 is a square bore, dual overhead cam, high compression, high revving engine. When you wrap that thing up in a mustang to 7500 rpm it’s a thing of beauty. That motor is built to rev and breath on the high end. In order to offer a V8 on the f150 that will survive heavy sustained workload they essentially pull the beast teeth. It’s still a capable motor but it will have to rev to generate power, not exactly what you want in a truck motor. If you intent to tow and get this motor high encourage you get the 3.73 rear.

The 3.5 EB provides a very good drive dynamics for a light duty truck. Unloaded driving lightly it will allow you to get better mileage than the V8. If you are pulling it will provide an easier almost diesel like power delivery bringing in a lot of power low In the powerband. The downside is that when you dip into a boost in a turbo motor the overall efficiency goes down. In order to control detonation they have to increase the AFR and lower the timing in such a manner that the BSFC is high than a similar large natural aspirated option would produce. Hence a lot of people refer to it as eco or boost.

The 2.7 is an excellent option for a grocery getter or around town truck. The integrated manifold design, reduced piping and small efficient turbos allow that motor to get on power very fast. The power curve on the 2.7 begins earlier than any of the other options and it has the lowest amount of turbo lag. These two fact along with the fact that the 2.7 usually comes on lighter trucks leads people to be overly shocked how fast this engine feels. The one thing to be aware of on the 2.7 is that it’s usually paired with the lighter frame lower GVWR options leading to lower payload. For someone not towing heavy the 2.7 is a great choice.

I don’t have much feed back on the PB. I haven’t driven one and it hasn’t been out long enough to determine if it’s going to be problematic. I considered getting it on the truck I ordered. I passed because there is a payload penalty and those last couple hundred pounds of payload can make a big difference in the capability of the truck.

Avoid the other 2 engine options they just don’t make sense to me.

None of the 3 I discussed are vastly difference in overall reliability. The 3.5 has had issues with timing chains and cam phasers, the 5.0 has had issues with piston slap and oil burning, the 2.7 has had issues with oil leaks. Most of these have been very overstated though given the number of trucks out there. I wouldn’t rate any of the engines as top notch trouble free but I wouldnt avoid any of them for fear of it being a stinker.

Last edited:

ilkhan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Escape Limted

Also recommend the EB over the coyote. The v8 sounds good, and I love it in the mustang, but it's too small to be a great truck motor. The EB has the torque and is way easier to get more out of it.

I put 30k miles on my '17 3.5EB. Yeah it can take a second to downshift, but put it in sport and the EB hauls ass.

Last edited:

KBKEITH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 XLT SCREW 5.5, BAP, 3.5EB
I have a 2017 with 2.7 EcoBoost and bought a box that gets hooked into gas pedal hook up. It took a mild truck and made it a beast by removing the lag between pushing the pedal down and the truck responding. It is called a pedal commander
The Pedal Commander does work well. I used one on my former 3.5EB because I wanted better throttle tip-in. This device helped a lot with tons of adjustability to the precise amount of throttle response desired. It also made the amount of turbo lag present in the 3.5 much less noticeable.

Last edited:

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
I went from a V8 to the 3.5 ecoboost in my 2013 and loved the huge low end torque and Hp. Had the same in my 2015, 2018 and now the PowerBoost, which is due in any day now.

I have loved all my eco's over the years, all with no issues, I will say the best combination was when the 10 speed came out.

I did get to test drive a PowerBoost at a Ford drive event. That made it a no brainier!! That thing is a race car and torque monster.

If you read what those are saying that have just got their PowerBoost in or have test drove one, all say that is the engine to have. I guess that's why there seems to be a shortage of PowerBoost drive trains for builds. More are ordering than Ford thought they would.

If I couldn't get the PowerBoost if would be the 3.5 eco, I mean 400 hp and 500 ft lb of torque, duh! Lol

Kefoster2
You ever put it in sport mode? big difference too.
I never used the trucks selector for sport mode. I purchased the pedal commander and got the same thing. So much for knowing what the truck accessories were for having owned it for 3.5 years and now trading in tomorrow for a Powerboost.
Sponsored