Fake engine sound

jsager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat Sport
Occupation
Retired
Can it be disabled from the Sync 4? Or do I have to purchase one of those Forscans?
Some investigation might be in order before disabling the augmented sound. Its probably a part of active noise cancellation. Disabling it might leave you with with a harsher sound that includes any cancellation of other unwanted noises. Your stereo might not even sound as good. Dunno for sure, there isn’t much info on ANC in the new F150’s.
Sponsored

JDMan

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
I might be the odd man out, but I typically want less engine noise - It's one of the reasons why I buy the turbo over other powertrains and makes - efficiency and quietness while pumping out big torque numbers.

The big diesel trucks that pour our tons of black smoke and annoy the hell out of everyone aren't really that cool anymore in 2021. Don't get me wrong - when I track my car and I'm with other tracked cars, the noise is awesome.. but on a road cruising to a destination or coming home at 1 am in the morning in a suburb, I don't want a truck that is super annoying.

OP
OP
Wishiwas

Wishiwas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT
I might be the odd man out, but I typically want less engine noise - It's one of the reasons why I buy the turbo over other powertrains and makes - efficiency and quietness while pumping out big torque numbers.

The big diesel trucks that pour our tons of black smoke and annoy the hell out of everyone aren't really that cool anymore in 2021. Don't get me wrong - when I track my car and I'm with other tracked cars, the noise is awesome.. but on a road cruising to a destination or coming home at 1 am in the morning in a suburb, I don't want a truck that is super annoying.
I personally don't care for the sound of a revving engine sound myself, and I am getting an 8 cyl, but not by choice. My friend has a 8 cyl Silverado and the neighbors are about ready to throw rocks at him as he has to start his truck at 5am. It rattles you out of bed.
The fake engine sound can not be heard outside of the cab on the F150. I had it in one of my prior 150s a few years back. I did disable it. At first, the sound in the cab was dead. Almost like something is missing. After a short while I came to appreciate not having fake engine sound.
Its a personal choice as to whether someone likes it or not. I will give it a try again if it comes with my Lariat. If it starts to bother me, I will have to break out the old ForScan tool again.

JDMan

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My friend has a 8 cyl Silverado and the neighbors are about ready to throw rocks at him as he has to start his truck at 5am. It rattles you out of bed.
Same, but our resident annoyance is some guy in a modified ricer that shakes everyone's houses when started every morning. The reason? "It sounds cooool" (sic) according to the owner. That and they leave it warming up for 15 minutes every morning.

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Looks like there is a way to do it with Forscan on previous models. I will have to see if the codes still match up on the 21 when my truck comes in.

I am waiting excitedly for the 2021 spreadsheet for FORSCAN to be compiled and released!

Sponsored

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150, 2004 toyota sequioa, 2010 toyota corolla, 2000 Jeep TJ
Occupation
Banker
Does the 2021 "pipe" in exhaust note sound through the speakers?

05RubiconLJ

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 Rubicon LJ, '21 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Yes. Ford did not change that for the 2021. Also, according to what I have read, it cannot be turned off via Sync4.

Sponsored

RayRay

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 XLT SPORT SCAB 302A 2.7
Read this on a Bronco forum.
Does the F150 actually have this.

“”
So, a surprising number of vehicles are pumping fake or "enhanced" engine noise into the cockpit through the speakers or through a dedicated system like VW's "Soundaktor" or Porsche's "Symposer."
Ford has it in a lot of models, especially F-150 models with the 2.7L Ecoboost, where they apparently thought customers would prefer to have something that sounds as powerful as it is. And it's nearly invisible... Unless you, for example, change the audio system. Particularly the subwoofers, at which point it makes terrible and strange noises that are difficult to get rid of without ripping out the wires to the Active Control Module that provides "sound cancellation," or disable it with a laptop at a dealer using Ford IDS with a couple of clicks.
It's entirely possible Ford will use it in the new Bronco. Especially in versions with the high-end sound system, and the 2.7L Ecoboost, where it has used them before. They're in the parts bin and the code is easy to reuse. “”