First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Well I think this answers my question....the cassette comes right to, and mostly overlaps, the boxlink cleats at the back of the bed. No point in trying to plan for a bed divider there.
While the Retrax Pro XR retractable cover is slick and seamless, I see two big deal breakers for me:

1) I live in a snowy / icy area, and it appears it has a tendency to "freeze up", and then unable to retract.

2) The cassette takes up space in the bed, it appears to block the tiedown cleats, and does not appear to be quick and easy to remove if needed (and I'm going down in bed size from 6.5' to 5.5' as it is).

For my intended use and preference, looking for a cover with these attributes:
  1. Low-profile, seamless look
  2. Able to easily fold up and out of the way to maximize available bed space
  3. Functionality not adversely affected by heavy snow, icy rain conditions
  4. Able to easily / quickly be removed / reinstalled as needed
Seriously looking at the Xceed and BakFlip MX4...

https://extang.com/xceed/2021/ford/f-150
https://bakindustries.com/bakflip-mx4/2021/ford/f-150

For reference, my experience is using an Extang Trifecta soft folding cover (it came with my 2010 Lariat when I bought it used). It's been fine, but I have to remove it to get full lenght + height usage out of the bed. Takes all of 2 minutes to remove, but It would really be nice if I could just fold it up completely out of the way, yet still keep it with / attached to the truck (as opposed to storing it in my garage).

https://extang.com/trifecta-2-0/2021/ford/f-150
Sponsored

Last edited:

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
While the Retrax Pro XR retractable cover is slick and seamless, I see two big deal breakers for me:

1) I live in a snowy / icy area, and it appears it has a tendency to "freeze up", and then unable to retract.

2) The cassette takes up space in the bed, it appears to block the tiedown cleats, and does not appear to be quick and easy to remove if needed (and I'm going down in bed size from 6.5' to 5.5' as it is).
Yep. All good points. Still debating retracting vs tri-fold.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Yep. All good points. Still debating retracting vs tri-fold.
I had a Backflip MX4 on my 2017. I liked it and it held up well. To open it all the way it leaned against the back glass, so you could not see out the back window. It was also not very secure as you could open it with a coat hanger.

I like the retractable for the convenience and the fact that it locks. I live in the south so ice is not much of a threat. Most of what I haul is a trip to Home Dept or Lowes. If I am hauling yard debris or other large or messy loads I use my utility trailer.

I can also say after the first trip to the car wash the only water in the bed was at the tailgate where it came around the unsealed sides.

G_Money

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat Powerboost

For my intended use and preference, looking for a cover with these attributes:
  1. Low-profile, seamless look
  2. Able to easily fold up and out of the way to maximize available bed space
  3. Functionality not adversely affected by heavy snow, icy rain conditions
  4. Able to easily / quickly be removed / reinstalled as needed
Seriously looking at the Xceed and BakFlip MX4...

https://extang.com/xceed/2021/ford/f-150
https://bakindustries.com/bakflip-mx4/2021/ford/f-150

For reference, my experience is using an Extang Trifecta soft folding cover (it came with my 2010 Lariat when I bought it used). It's been fine, but I have to remove it to get full lenght + height usage out of the bed. Takes all of 2 minutes to remove, but It would really be nice if I could just fold it up completely out of the way, yet still keep it with / attached to the truck (as opposed to storing it in my garage).

https://extang.com/trifecta-2-0/2021/ford/f-150
To me the biggest 'pro' of the Retrax XR is the the T-Slots for adding a low profile rack system - without having to drill into the topcaps. The downside is giving up the room in the bed for the cassette, but I've not seen any examples of flip or roll ups have an integrated option for T-slot rails (likely because the cover wouldn't roll/flip up with the rack in place).

Last edited:

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
To me the biggest 'pro' of the Retrax XR is the the T-Slots for adding a low profile rack system - without having to drill into the topcaps. The downside is giving up the room in the bed for the cassette, but I've not seen any examples of flip or roll ups have an integrated option for T-slot rails (likely because the cover wouldn't roll/flip up with the rack in place).
Yes this is what I’m trying research as well, whether a tri-fold with t-slots or similar capability exists. Haven’t found anything.

Sponsored

currybob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021KRF150 PB; 2023 LexusRX350Hy; 2023 Mini Cooper
Occupation
Retired Physicist from federal government; Army Veteran
I've had a Retrax many years ago on a Tundra I had. I like it and it was attractive but the cost is rough.

I've had this same Bak Flip now on my past 3 F150s and it still looks new. Works great and never really notice any water but I don't think it's water proof.

Bang for the buck and ease of use, I'm very satisfied. Fits the 2021 nicely and the power gate works just fine with it. I also like that it does not take up and bed space.

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover 1611459495941

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover 1611459545137

OP
OP
papa.charlie

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat SCrew F-150 PB FX4

Where I am in the North this can be a real problem too so I'm on the fence about it as well. However, I'm still not 100% convinced this will be a real problem, Here's why-

After snooping around multiple truck forums regarding this cover I found that although there are a small handful of people who complain about the freezing, it seems to mostly be around the latch and its cover on the manual version. Also, only when things get wet/melted snow and then quickly freeze. There are many more who say they have no problems with the ice/snow if it's simply brushed off before retracting. I'm keeping in mind that if I have a bunch of ice on any cover it could potentially give me problems. Interestingly, someone also pointed out that these covers are designed and manufactured in North Dakota specifically for the rough winter.

If anyone has first-hand experience with Retrax's in a snowy/icy climate please let us know your thoughts..

OP
OP
papa.charlie

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I have a Pro MX and will be glad to get you the measurements, but I am not sure exactly what you are asking. Are you talking about the mounts closest to the cab? Here are couple of photos. I put in the cleats before the install so I could still attach to them.

IMG_0728.jpg
IMG_0723.jpg
Thanks for sharing these photos! Is it possible for you to share more of a birds-eye view of the whole bed? I'd like to get a visual sense for how much space the canister takes up in the bed.

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
Re: Retrax's ...
There are many more who say they have no problems with the ice/snow if it's simply brushed off before retracting.
Your comment brings up an interesting question... If the top is full of residual snow (or even just wet), once rolled into the cassette does the water collect / stay in the cassette box? Does it have drain holes?

rlell

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT, 2020 Explorer ST, 2021 F-150
I bought the Roll-n-Lock retractable cover. Pretty happy with it overall. Just need to get my bed mat in and tailgate seal installed.
I'm also looking at the Roll-N-Lock. Do you have the power tailgate? If so, any issues using it with the cover fully extended?

Sponsored

OP
OP
papa.charlie

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Re: Retrax's ...

Your comment brings up an interesting question... If the top is full of residual snow (or even just wet), once rolled into the cassette does the water collect / stay in the cassette box? Does it have drain holes?
The canister has two drain tubes on both ends that are typically routed out the grommets in the front of the bed.

NoSnow

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
My preference is a roll cover as I need to haul stuff that requires the full length of the bed and I really want to be able to look out the rear view mirror. So far I like the Bak Revolver 2 the best. It seems to provide good security, water proof and the tail gate can open when the cover is on. It is a little expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. Anyone know of another high quality roll cover that meets the criteria above.?

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Thanks for sharing these photos! Is it possible for you to share more of a birds-eye view of the whole bed? I'd like to get a visual sense for how much space the canister takes up in the bed.
hare are a couple with the cover fully opened. one from the back and one from the top. BTW mine is 5.7 ft bed.
Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover IMG_0729
Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover IMG_0730

OP
OP
papa.charlie

papa.charlie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
hare are a couple with the cover fully opened. one from the back and one from the top. BTW mine is 5.7 ft bed.
IMG_0729.jpg
IMG_0730.jpg
Really appreciate that, thanks! In my opinion it doesn’t really take up that much room. Still lots of space underneath. For my uses it’s probably space that 99% of the time I wouldn’t need anyway.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
Really appreciate that, thanks! In my opinion it doesn’t really take up that much room. Still lots of space underneath. For my uses it’s probably space that 99% of the time I wouldn’t need anyway.
Any idea how many inches it is from bed floor to bottom of the cassette? I’m curious if I can find some type of bin or something I can put there so can store some things. I wish this cover came with something like the Bakbox 2 that can be folded away when the space is needed but be used otherwise to store some things
Sponsored