Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover

desertlivin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla M3, 2021 F-150 Platinum Powerboost
Occupation
Network Architect
Interested in a cover that will allow for Thule or Rhino Rack bars....was leaning towards RetraxPro XR but wondering if that Paragon leaves room for T-slot rails (would likely have to drill them in). Like that it can be removed, but looks like you still have the mount rails coming into the bed along the sides.
I am planning to put a Rhino Rack or Thule on the bed as well and I am interested in a cover that will be able to accommodate it.
Sponsored

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
Can anyone recommend a low profile and secure Tri folding cover? Can't seem to find a solid option.

Vpswcci

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Taurus Limited, 2021 f150 Platinum (soon!)
I would still like to know if you need to physically latch or unlatch the tonneau before operating the auto tailgate.

Kefoster2

First Name
Kenneth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Retired
First truck, still waiting for its build, and I've been shopping for tonneau covers while I eagerly wait but I'm finding there to be a lot of options. I'd like to get a take from some who have experience. There's 3 covers on my short list but I'd really like to get thoughts from anyone who's had these styles or products on their truck. Anything to keep in mind before settling on one? Are there other cover styles or manufacturers to consider for a shortlist? Also, I have some questions regarding each, are there viewpoints on them anyone would like to share?

Leaning towards:
  • Retractable - Retraxpro Electric Or Manual. Do these jam up with dirt/debris/ice/snow? Problems with the electric motor? Does hooking up the electric version potentially void warranty given they run off the battery? See any issues with the combo of an electric cover with a Powerboost HEV/electrical system?
  • Hard Trifold - BAKFlip MX4. Security seems like it would be questionable given you could easily shim a hooked wire between the tailgate and cover to release the latch mechanism. Same goes for the Revolver X4, is that that true?
  • Hard Rolling - BAKFlip Revolver X4. From pictures I feel like this doesn't look as finished/high quality as hard trifold or retractable. Agree/disagree
Btw, I've recently joined the forum and really enjoying and appreciating everyone's inputs so far. Thanks!
I have a BakFlip on my 2017 and it stays dry. It folds up easily and is easy to install.

Sponsored

Jim Bandy

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited 4x4 Powerboost (Hybrid)
Occupation
Retired
I have a BakFlip on my 2017 and it stays dry. It folds up easily and is easy to install.

I never had an issue with my TRI-Fold on my 2016. I had it in rain, sleet, snow, very cold & very hot temps with no issue. My tailgate could open & close without having to open up the tonneau cover. Bottom Line: You can expect many different views posted but - "You have to pick what is best for your needs”. Note: "A thief will do what they want regardless".

For myself, I'm not in a situation that has me worried about what I may put (short term) in the bed with a Tri-Fold. Note: I would never leave my truck outside with valuables in the bed & end up worrying. I'm a person who looks for the long-term reliability in products and the odds of any potential break downs. I'm also old school when it comes to knowing more the moving parts equals = the greater potential of something happing.

The tonneau cover I do choose - will be one that I can open & shut the tailgate without having to unlock the cover inorder to open or close.

I'm not a wealthily person and I don't want to pay for something twice or something that will end p nickel & diming me in maintenance & repairs.

Roger350

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Evo MR, 2015 Sonata Hybrid, 2007 Tahoe - Being Replaced by 2021 F-150
Occupation
Engineer
On a another forum I frequent, the Lomax Hard Tri-Fold gets very good reviews compared to the BaKFlip which is by far the more popular brand. An accessory dealer there swears they have less warranty issues with the Lomax, and they are slightly cheaper to start out. They are easy to completely remove and look very nice. It is on my short list for sure.

If money were no object I'd get the Retrax Pro MX (the one with the T-Slot mounts built in so you can add an overhead rack easily), but they are super expensive, eat up a little of the bed space, and I hear they let in some water up near the front of the bed where the roll box is.

I would not trust any of these covers for security over night in a hotel parking lot. For such a high crime scenario as that I'll be moving all valuables into the cab, or into the hotel room, and I'll be leaving the cover open so would be thieves don't have to screw up the paint on my tailgate to see there is nothing to snag. But normal trips to stores, or gas stations, etc. I'd say these covers offer enough security that you don't have to worry too much.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
I’m looking at the Retrax Pro MX most likely but curious if there’s an even higher quality one available. Really want to get it as water proof as possible. Security is also important.

mdmeints

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Explorer, 2008 Sea Ray
Occupation
Retired
Black Friday special saved me a ton. Backflip MX-4 $824.50 and a $50 prepaid card. Hard to pass up. Now I just need to get my truck.

Sponsored

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
I‘m staying away from the BAK products, their trifold has all kind of wrinkle issues at where it attaches and scratches easy - on the top/outside. Lots of youtube reviews showing this.

Im looking at the “UNDERCOVER Armorflex” which seems superior in design and quality

Platinum Peasant

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum 3.0 Powerstroke
Occupation
Neonatal Respiratory Therapist
I‘m staying away from the BAK products, their trifold has all kind of wrinkle issues at where it attaches and scratches easy - on the top/outside. Lots of youtube reviews showing this.

Im looking at the “UNDERCOVER Armorflex” which seems superior in design and quality
Any idea if the automatic tailgate can open and close with this one without having to open the cover?

satexas

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 PB 2021 L502a
Any idea if the automatic tailgate can open and close with this one without having to open the cover?
Yes, it can.

(really recommend you guys watch youtube videos of these covers and their quality control, scratching issues)

daemonic3

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 3.5EB
Occupation
Engineer
I am also getting the Lomax Trifold, as I need full bed length for bikes and would like to tie down dogs near the front of the bed for quick excursions. The Lomax is a tool-less removal and re-install, unlike the bak and undercover. But most of the time I just want the full cover from the elements, theft deterrence, and clean low profile.
Sponsored