First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 King Ranch, 3.5 Eco
Occupation
Retired, Part Time Consultant
Any idea how many inches it is from bed floor to bottom of the cassette? I’m curious if I can find some type of bin or something I can put there so can store some things. I wish this cover came with something like the Bakbox 2 that can be folded away when the space is needed but be used otherwise to store some things
From the top of the rib to bottom of the canister is 9 3/4 inches. Ironton 23 1/2in. Folding Crate — 23 1/2in.W x 15 1/4in.D x 8 1/2in.H like this would work.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Smitdog

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited PowerBoost Smoked Quartz
Occupation
Gainfully Retired
hare are a couple with the cover fully opened. one from the back and one from the top. BTW mine is 5.7 ft bed.
So I take it that the tie down cleats closest to the cab are still somewhat usable, but it appears you couldn't remove / repurpose the front boxlink points without first removing the cassette.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
So I take it that the tie down cleats closest to the cab are still somewhat usable, but it appears you couldn't remove / repurpose the front boxlink points without first removing the cassette.
This front tie downs are just below the cassette. You could still hook a racket strap or bungie to it.
The box link cleats cannot be removed without removing the cassette (ie the whole cover). I can still hook onto the box link with a strap.

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
From the top of the rib to bottom of the canister is 9 3/4 inches. Ironton 23 1/2in. Folding Crate — 23 1/2in.W x 15 1/4in.D x 8 1/2in.H like this would work.
Yep. Precisely. Btw I’m also going from BMW (550ix) to F150.

Happen to have the measurement from side to side in the bed? How wide is it actually at that point under the cassette? (Wondering if I can fit two of the bins you linked)

And...curios what is the distance from bed wall in back to the first wheel well? Just curious how snug of a fit these bins would be. Ideally very snug and very little wiggle. That would give me a lot of flexibility to store some things under the cassette but make it really easy to remove and collapse.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Yep. Precisely. Btw I’m also going from BMW (550ix) to F150.

Happen to have the measurement from side to side in the bed? How wide is it actually at that point under the cassette? (Wondering if I can fit two of the bins you linked)

And...curios what is the distance from bed wall in back to the first wheel well? Just curious how snug of a fit these bins would be. Ideally very snug and very little wiggle. That would give me a lot of flexibility to store some things under the cassette but make it really easy to remove and collapse.
It is 4 ft 10 In wide and 9 1/2 in from when wheel well to front. There two drain hoses on the out side. You can see them in the photo. The way the cassette has an angled front you may be better off to build one from 2x6 or so and reach into it.

BTW used to drive BMW X5s before I got my first truck in 2017.

Ford F-150 Factors To Consider Before Buying Any Tonneau Cover IMG_0729

Sponsored

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
It is 4 ft 10 In wide and 9 1/2 in from when wheel well to front. There two drain hoses on the out side. You can see them in the photo. The way the cassette has an angled front you may be better off to build one from 2x6 or so and reach into it.

BTW used to drive BMW X5s before I got my first truck in 2017.

IMG_0729.jpg
So sounds like two of these wouldn’t work due to depth (wheel well to front). Another option I’ve been toying with is getting something like a very large Vulcan bag (I know it’s for guns, but something high quality and water proof like it) and just putting that across and under the cassette.

BMWtoF150

First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
So sounds like two of these wouldn’t work due to depth (wheel well to front). Another option I’ve been toying with is getting something like a very large Vulcan bag (I know it’s for guns, but something high quality and water proof like it) and just putting that across and under the cassette.
That would work also. Have you considered something like a DU-HA that fits under the back seat. It creates a ton of storage space. Or a swing box for the bed.

Last edited:

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Where I am in the North this can be a real problem too so I'm on the fence about it as well. However, I'm still not 100% convinced this will be a real problem, Here's why-

After snooping around multiple truck forums regarding this cover I found that although there are a small handful of people who complain about the freezing, it seems to mostly be around the latch and its cover on the manual version. Also, only when things get wet/melted snow and then quickly freeze. There are many more who say they have no problems with the ice/snow if it's simply brushed off before retracting. I'm keeping in mind that if I have a bunch of ice on any cover it could potentially give me problems. Interestingly, someone also pointed out that these covers are designed and manufactured in North Dakota specifically for the rough winter.

If anyone has first-hand experience with Retrax's in a snowy/icy climate please let us know your thoughts..
I’ve had a Retrax Pro since 2013 on my truck. I live in Massachusetts. It froze once after an ice storm. It was fine after driving around a bit. I will be getting another one

Madman

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
3 Ford Explorers
Occupation
Engineer
I’ve had a Retrax Pro since 2013 on my truck. I live in Massachusetts. It froze once after an ice storm. It was fine after driving around a bit. I will be getting another one
Welcome to a fellow Massachusetts Forum Member!

Sponsored

zdjelar

First Name
Saša
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Limited (AMB)
Occupation
Energy
No ongoing water leaking issues? Like through the seams where the slats join?

BDUBSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat
I'm also looking at the Roll-N-Lock. Do you have the power tailgate? If so, any issues using it with the cover fully extended?
Yes, I have the power tailgate. I installed the tailgate seal on the back facing piece of the roll-n-lock cover. It now seals much better and the tailgate still shuts automatically. I had to use it a couple of times since the new seal had not compressed yet. Once I had it set in place with the tailgate shut for about 24 hrs, it was much better.

MDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Any feedback on the Leer Hf650 hard, quad-folding cover?

rlell

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang GT, 2020 Explorer ST, 2021 F-150
Yes, I have the power tailgate. I installed the tailgate seal on the back facing piece of the roll-n-lock cover. It now seals much better and the tailgate still shuts automatically. I had to use it a couple of times since the new seal had not compressed yet. Once I had it set in place with the tailgate shut for about 24 hrs, it was much better.
Cool, thanks for the follow-up.
Sponsored