Sponsored

F150 Powerboost Hybrid vs Maverick Hybrid

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 RCLB 5.0/2022 Powerboost/2023 Maverick Hybrid
We are lucky enough to own a 22 Powerboost & a 23 Maverick. While they are both Ford Hybrid Trucks, there are big differences between them. Each has advantages & disadvantages over the other.

My Powerboost is a 157” FX4 & has been great so far. It has averaged about 27mpg over the 6 months which I have owned it, which is 5.5mpg better than the virtually same truck that I had with the 3.5 Ecoboost. Six months in, I am still learning how to drive this truck for best mileage. With that said, I regularly see 750-800 miles to empty on this 30.6 gallon tank at fill ups.

Pro Power is for real. My truck has the 7.2kw output & did great after a hurricane last year, powering my house for a few hours using about a quart of gas.

My Powerboost rides to me like the best Cadillac you ever had. It is shockingly comfortable.

Getting the best mileage out of the Powerboost has its challenges. It requires lots of tapping the brakes to get the truck to shift over to electric at optimal times. The battery, at 1.5kw, is larger than the 1.1kw Maverick battery, but doesn’t give nearly the range on this much heavier truck, that the Maverick battery gets you with the lighter vehicle.

We have only had our Maverick for a little more than 3 weeks. There is only 400watts of 120v AC power available with the truck. It has averaged 47mpg so far, at now about 1100 miles. My best trip so far with the Maverick was 24.7 miles at 64.5mpg. Of course relatively speaking, towing & payload capacity are significantly limited.

The Maverick seems to go electric on its own much easier than the Powerboost & have significantly more electric range. We regularly get more than half electric miles around town on the Maverick, but almost never get more than 30% electric miles with the Powerboost.

The Maverick seating was comfortable for us on the recent trip. With that said, you definitely feel more of the road when driving this much smaller truck.

We are happy with both of our purchases. They each have their place.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
That Maverick is a lot harder to get your hands on though, right?

Nice to hear a positive post.

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Well.........................................I waited more than twice as long, from order to delivery, for my Powerboost, than I did for my Maverick. I put a new order in for the Maverick at 5:30am on 9/16/22 & took delivery on 1/26/23.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
I had considered a maverick as a third vehicle for a new job that I am starting soon. It’s a 150 mile round trip 5 days per week. It didn’t appear the fuel economy was good enough for me to justify it, so I went with a Hybrid MKZ.

Are you really getting well over 40 MPG? What type of driving conditions? I would be spending probably 90% of those miles between 70-80+ MPH.

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I had considered a maverick as a third vehicle for a new job that I am starting soon. It’s a 150 mile round trip 5 days per week. It didn’t appear the fuel economy was good enough for me to justify it, so I went with a Hybrid MKZ.

Are you really getting well over 40 MPG? What type of driving conditions? I would be spending probably 90% of those miles between 70-80+ MPH.
We really are getting better than 40mpg, with all driving combined. At least half of our driving is in 35 - 55mph speed zones. Lots of low speeds & stop & go, which is the best mileage spectrum for the Maverick. With that said, the 1 trip that my wife drove on the interstate at 70-80mph, she got 36mpg.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
We really are getting better than 40mpg, with all driving combined. See pic below for my best trip so far. At least half of our driving is in 35 - 55mph speed zones. Lots of low speeds & stop & go, which is the best mileage spectrum for the Maverick. With that said, the 1 trip that my wife drove on the interstate at 70-80mph, she got 36mpg.
That's about what I am getting in my Hybrid MKZ...... makes me wonder if I made the wrong choice now lol

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Love the Maverick Hybrid.
Such a good value equation in a time where there's very few such propositions.

If my daughters would even WASH their cars once in a while, I would surprise them each with one.

OP
OP

MJ Heat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Love the Maverick Hybrid.
Such a good value equation in a time where there's very few such propositions.

If my daughters would even WASH their cars once in a while, I would surprise them each with one.
My wife saw & liked my Powerboost when I got it, & heard me talking about the improved fuel mileage. That got her thinking about getting a hybrid herself. She then became aware of the Maverick & said she thought it would be a cute "chick" truck for her. While she does have a newer Jeep Wrangler (kind of a truck), it was time for her Ford SportTrac "chick" truck to be replaced.

I was thrilled to accommodate her interest, by buying her a Maverick built to her specifications. She absolutely loves it! I think it came at a great value for what we got. I had a bedliner sprayed in & put a hard rollup bed cover on it. She essentially has a stylish small fuel efficient car, with a giant secure trunk, that she can use as a grocery getter/mall crawler, or as a small truck if she needs that.

My short legged wife can get in & out of the Maverick with ease. While she has 2 other nice vehicles of her own to choose from, the less costly Maverick is now her favorite, because of comfort, driveability, fuel efficiency, & function. Go figure?

OneFiddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 502A PB BAP
I’d be interested in the Maverick hybrid AWD if they offered it.

Eskram

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat PB 502a
I'll put on a wig and promise to wash it every week if you feel like giving out surprise Mavericks! :D

In all seriousness, they do fill a gap in the truck market and I hope they bring Ford great success. They're perfect for probably what 80% of truck owners 'need' a truck for.

Sponsored

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
my parents (over 80 years old) have one they waited long time to get it and it finally arrived last april
its the hybrid and they get 38 to 42 depending on right foot action
they LIKE IT, its perfect for them, price point, ease of driving, mpg etc.. it has had 2 recalls and ford came to pick it up to do them.
they got it for a few dollars more than x plan, which was fantastic, because at time of delivery they were selling for insane mark up. but we insisted dealer honor the order price and after a tense hr of BS at rockwall ford they capitulated . they tried all kinds of bs to justify the price increase...real SNAKES at ROCKWALL ford in rockwall tx. :sick::sick: they are a huge conglomerate of dealers under another name

i had to drive it once for about 60 miles at hwy speeds and i am tall and hmm not skinny
my 6 3 245lbs svelte frame felt cramped and the seat was terrible on my back . it was LOUD inside driving on the high traction asphalt TexDOT is using now,
which killed any radio soothing music :rolleyes:
i liked the lane centering, it was dead one , vice the occasional wander i get in the 150
ac froze me, which was AWESOME . steering felt good, but tires i think were over inflated and it rode very harsh

it has had 2 recalls and brian toliver lincoln ford in sulphur springs has handled these actions and both times came and picked up the mav and brought it back when completed at no charge. complete with a wash job .

DT444T

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 AMB Powerboost Lariat
Occupation
Meat servo
I LOVE the Maverick. It is fantastic. It's basically my TDi wagon in a different suit. And you are getting even better MPG than rated which is pretty awesome.

I just can't stand the people that say "it's not a truck" because they think they need a diesel 4x4 long box to do ANY work.

I would seriously consider one when I get rid of the wagon.

dolsen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rapid Red 701A
my parents (over 80 years old) have one they waited long time to get it and it finally arrived last april
its the hybrid and they get 38 to 42 depending on right foot action
they LIKE IT, its perfect for them, price point, ease of driving, mpg etc.. it has had 2 recalls and ford came to pick it up to do them.
they got it for a few dollars more than x plan, which was fantastic, because at time of delivery they were selling for insane mark up. but we insisted dealer honor the order price and after a tense hr of BS at rockwall ford they capitulated . they tried all kinds of bs to justify the price increase...real SNAKES at ROCKWALL ford in rockwall tx. :sick::sick: they are a huge conglomerate of dealers under another name

i had to drive it once for about 60 miles at hwy speeds and i am tall and hmm not skinny
my 6 3 245lbs svelte frame felt cramped and the seat was terrible on my back . it was LOUD inside driving on the high traction asphalt TexDOT is using now,
which killed any radio soothing music :rolleyes:
i liked the lane centering, it was dead one , vice the occasional wander i get in the 150
ac froze me, which was AWESOME . steering felt good, but tires i think were over inflated and it rode very harsh

it has had 2 recalls and brian toliver lincoln ford in sulphur springs has handled these actions and both times came and picked up the mav and brought it back when completed at no charge. complete with a wash job .
The loudness and harshness could easily have been exacerbated by the overinflated tires

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
The loudness and harshness could easily have been exacerbated by the overinflated tires
i thought that might have been some part, but i didnt have my hearing aids in and it was very HOLLOW sounding
but they like it alot so #1 son is happy 🤗

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I watched a video of an Engineering look-over of the Maverick and it is built to a price point that isn't likely to be as quiet or luxurious as a Platinum F150. :)

But it is well executed and I would imagine that with a bit of effort someone could isolate the interior from external noise easy enough.

The audiophile folks do it all the time.
Sponsored