F150 3.73 locking differential

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
I have only ever used the 3.73 locker once to get out of a huge snow drift (2+ feet).
Other than heavy snow I barely engage 4 wheel drive, but when i do it's the cat's meow.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DCBoost

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum PB (ordered)
Having the locker off when not needed reduces wear and tear of the components for longer life. Most of the time I do not need the locker engaged and when I do want it then pushing a button on the dash could not be simpler. Check the manual for more information.

GM no longer provides a locking or even a true limited slip differential (nor does Toyota) and instead what they provide is an "anti-spin" differential and what happens is the brake is applied to the faster spinning wheel. Often called traction control with 2WD rear drive cars.

Didn't realize GM did away with the mechanical locking. THX

Badhabit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SCrew 4x4 5.0 302A
FWIW, I haven't found a real day to day use for the e-locker I've had in trucks over the last 15 years. I did have AWD on a Dodge and now on 2 out of 3 of my last Ford trucks. Your Platty should come with AWD which is the cats meow. Ya dig?

FWIW, I much prefer AWD...
You do not have AWD in your Ford truck, they do not put AWD in any of their trucks. What you have is 4Auto, which is not the same as AWD.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
You do not have AWD in your Ford truck, they do not put AWD in any of their trucks. What you have is 4Auto, which is not the same as AWD.
well the old torque on demand was pretty clunky at times
the new, on some models is electronically locked or engaged 4wd
is pretty darn close to having full time AWD, if you drive in 4 A its darn near awd
if we run in sport mode it engages front diff and allows lock or unlock as needed
but can put pwr to all four wheels as needed
in normal 4wd Auto it is engaged and the computer decides how much power is sent to the front wheels via transfer case. its very smooth

i drove my 16 exp in 4 Auto just about all its life,

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
I believe the Elock disengages at 25mph on non-Raptor.
Yes, 4A is not AWD technically, but there's a ton of overlap in practice. I've been spoiled by it since the very first time I used it in rain. Truck exhibits a very different experience and I love how the steering wheel becomes weighted and provides additional feedback.

I don't live where you neeeeeed 4WD, but I won't ever go without 4A. I love it. :)

Sponsored

‘22Powerboost

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost, Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher
I believe the Elock disengages at 25mph on non-Raptor.
Yes, 4A is not AWD technically, but there's a ton of overlap in practice. I've been spoiled by it since the very first time I used it in rain. Truck exhibits a very different experience and I love how the steering wheel becomes weighted and provides additional feedback.

I don't live where you neeeeeed 4WD, but I won't ever go without 4A. I love it. :)
So do you drive your truck in 4A all the time? Or just in the rain/wet roads?

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Recently I use 4A less because of a drought, but I live in a tropical/coastal area and wet driving conditions are normally common.
But yes, I probably have about 50% of my mileage in the past 5 years in 4A.

It's also something I will enable if I'm feeling a little hooligan-is, if you know what I mean?

IconicXLTsport

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 XLT
Occupation
Nuclear Operations
It may have been a Chevy manual I am remembering but the systems probably work similarly. I believe the 4A keeps the hubs locked and just engages the Tcase when it detects slip. I remember the manual saying it’s best to not leave the truck in 4A all the time, only in slippery conditions and should select 2wd in dry conditions.

anyone check the language in their manual for 4A use?

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
For F-150s with the 4 position switch, meaning a true 4A (automatic) the manual does NOT specify any limitations on using 4A for regular driving, including dry surface.

The only limitation I see is in the trailer towing section:

"Note: Do not use four-wheel drive when towing a trailer or when you heavily load your vehicle for extended periods of time"

It does not differentiate between what type of four-wheel drive (i.e. standard like 4H mode or automatic, like 4A). So not clear if this pertains to 4A mode.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No written warning or limitation stated for 4A.
In fact, unlike my 2018, my 2022 automatically enables 4A for the so called Sport Mode.

Think about that for a minute. :)

Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
Recently I use 4A less because of a drought, but I live in a tropical/coastal area and wet driving conditions are normally common.
But yes, I probably have about 50% of my mileage in the past 5 years in 4A.
I'm soooo looking forward to badly needed rain in central Texas, both for my pasture and for an excuse to finally feel the joy of 4H (you know the roads are gonna be slicker than heck when we finally get that rain!).

(y) . ;)

notabot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
No written warning or limitation stated for 4A.
In fact, unlike my 2018, my 2022 automatically enables 4A for the so called Sport Mode.

Think about that for a minute. :)
Same with my 21. My biggest pet peeve about high HP RWD or FWD vehicles is getting the power to the ground w/o turning it into smoke. The 4A from Ford turns HP into giggles...

Badhabit

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 SCrew 4x4 5.0 302A
I believe the 4A keeps the hubs locked and just engages the Tcase when it detects slip. I remember the manual saying it’s best to not leave the truck in 4A all the time, only in slippery conditions and should select 2wd in dry conditions.
If your truck has 4A it does not have locking hubs.

powerboatr

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 King Ranch 4x4
Occupation
Retired Navy Senior Chief
If your truck has 4A it does not have locking hubs.
correct
and i drive in 4A ALOT, i think highway long drives is only place i leave it 2H.
but sport mode is fun and it puts power to wherever its needed
change the dash mode to see power distribution..i was surprised at how much tq its sending up front on take off from stop, even at normal throttle

‘22Powerboost

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum Powerboost, Antimatter Blue
Occupation
Teacher
I use my truck to tow my snowmobile trailer during the winter…and I have to use 4 wheel drive quite a lot during my trips towing to Northern Maine, due to some serious heavy winter weather along the drive. So I don’t know what the manual is talking about saying don’t use 4 wheel drive while towing?
Sponsored