• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
Wh/mile or kWh/100 miles are what I prefer, and I hope Ford allows us to see those metrics since miles/kWh is logarithmic and prone to misrepresentation of how efficient a vehicle is.
Sponsored

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
Wh/mile or kWh/100 miles are what I prefer, and I hope Ford allows us to see those metrics since miles/kWh is logarithmic and prone to misrepresentation of how efficient a vehicle is.
My cars have reported it both ways. Chevy volt and bolt were miles/kWh. Volvo EV kWh/100 miles. It would be nice if we can choose how it is displayed.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
Wow, this is great news if it turns out to be the official number. 320 is about the max I would've believed for the ER. If the efficiency numbers are to be believed it very well could exceed 300 in the 70mph range test.

What I don't understand is why the ER has a 320mi range but the SR is 230. It should be 240 if you assume the trucks are the same efficiency. Also, the SR should be even more efficient due to losing a few hundred pounds of battery weight. If the ER is really 320 then I bet we'll find out that Ford is sandbagging the SR range to make the ER look like a better deal.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I was kind of bummed when I found out EPA rating had basically nothing to do with EPA at all. The OEM's say what the number is and give it to EPA.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
I was kind of bummed when I found out EPA rating had basically nothing to do with EPA at all. The OEM's say what the number is and give it to EPA.

It's a calculation not an actual test. I believe the EPA reviews and approves the calculation but I'm not 100% certain on that.

EDIT: I was also bummed when I found out it wasn't an actual test!

Sponsored
OP
OP
gorwell

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
This is not correct. EPA rating is directly related to the EPA test cycles. There's just various test cycles and ways you can convey that.

The core issue is that when most people think of range, you immediate go to how many miles on the freeway going 70mph+... That is not what the EPA cycles are.

Here are three cycles for reference:

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning Official EPA Range MPGe Revealed in Window Sticker (Base + Extended Range)! 1647552674281

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning Official EPA Range MPGe Revealed in Window Sticker (Base + Extended Range)! 1647552678444

Ford F-150 Lightning F-150 Lightning Official EPA Range MPGe Revealed in Window Sticker (Base + Extended Range)! 1647552820470

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Yes on charge flaps both sides. One side for DC charging is ok, but level 2 on either side, or both at the same time would be great for garage /public charging situations.
The information I've seen is that only the platinum trim has charging ports on both sides of the vehicle. The others just have a dummy panel on the side without a port.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
The information I've seen is that only the platinum trim has charging ports on both sides of the vehicle. The others just have a dummy panel on the side without a port.
Wow, I never realized the Platinum had dual charge ports. The demos all seemed to have a dummy panel on the passenger side. Due to the way my parking area is set up I'd prefer to have the port on the passenger side but I can live with either one.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Wow, I never realized the Platinum had dual charge ports. The demos all seemed to have a dummy panel on the passenger side. Due to the way my parking area is set up I'd prefer to have the port on the passenger side but I can live with either one.
No trim level has the charging port on the passenger side. They are all on the driver.

shutterbug

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mastang Mach-E Grabber Blue First Edition
Going below 20% is fine as long as you don't let it sit there and continue to drain over night. For road trips charging to 100% is fine, then you would dc fast charge once you reach 10% - 20% charge, up to 80%.
On MME, Ford updated the DC charging curve so that charging speed doesn't drop off a cliff at 80%. You can charge to 90% on a road trip. I assume the same will be true with Lightning.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
On MME, Ford updated the DC charging curve so that charging speed doesn't drop off a cliff at 80%. You can charge to 90% on a road trip. I assume the same will be true with Lightning.
I would also not be surprised if Ford kept a little in reserve too just in case. On the MME the EPA range creeped up a bit after first year as the powertrain was retuned via OTA. Would not be surprised at a slight range increase MY 23 and MY24. These could also update MY22 after the fact.

OP
OP
gorwell

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Unless you need that extra 10-20%, it's still best to keep it at 80%. It's better for battery life, but for me, it's mostly about time.

Mach-e is ~40 minutes from 10-80%

It'll take 20 minutes to go from 80-100%.

Unless that extra 10-20% is getting you to your destination, it's probably just better to move along at 80%.

For ioniq 5 @ 800v, it's

10-80% @ ~20 minutes, and 80-100% @ 20 minutes.
Sponsored