• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
And Virginia has an annual surtax on EVs and fuel efficient vehicles. The excuse is that they need to offset the lost revenue from the gas tax.
Luckily I'm in the very blue(liberal) state of NY...none of that nonsense here(not yet)
Sponsored

Bippers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1965 Thunderbird 2014 Honda Accord
Occupation
Chemical Engineer
And Virginia has an annual surtax on EVs and fuel efficient vehicles. The excuse is that they need to offset the lost revenue from the gas tax.
I wonder how that will work with electric converted classic cars. I assume you get by without the extra tax. That's an interesting benefit I never thought of.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
NY - free from nonsense?

I'm speechless
I didn't say that.. I said free from *THAT* nonsense.

I'm a realist... NY does what NY does.

That aside, both my vehicle registration costs AND auto insurance are cheaper in NY than in Virginia.

Oh and no ridiculous Personal Property Tax.......

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Very true. Elon is a special breed. No way I'd ever buy a vehicle from that twit.
I won't lie, Elon is part of why I never consider buying Tesla. Him and his cult members. Really turns me off. But I do love what effect they've had on pushing EVs forward.

Sponsored

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I won't lie, Elon is part of why I never consider buying Tesla. Him and his cult members. Really turns me off. But I do love what effect they've had on pushing EVs forward.

I feel the same way..although I also have a big problem with QC problems(to the extent Tesla has had them) on a $50k+ vehicle. To me the model 3/model Y looks/feels "cheap" for its price point comparable to others.

But yes even if the vehicle were perfect the Elon personality and cult turn me off. I don't like the way he belittles others and the way he treats his employees. I also don't like his attitude towards safety concerns. (Autopilot is a hot mess)

I'll give credit where credit is due..Elon pushed EVs when no one else would touch them, the EV portion is great(just not the car surrounding it) and the supercharger network was/is brilliant. All that said I still won't buy one.

Last edited:

JTmass

First Name
Joaquin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Ranger
Dude, same. I really gave up on Tesla though when they took Autopilot away from the 2nd owner of a car. Taking away features remotely is not fucking OK. That sealed it for me. Never buying a Tesla.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Dude, same. I really gave up on Tesla though when they took Autopilot away from the 2nd owner of a car. Taking away features remotely is not fucking OK. That sealed it for me. Never buying a Tesla.
Oh shoot, I never heard this one before! Someone paid for it, why would you remove it? I really hope manufacturers don't pick up on this terrible practice.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy, toyota, honda, jeep
As of tonight, the draft reconciliation bill will be partially funded by taxing unrealized gains of assets owned by billionaires and those that make over $100 million/year.

I'm not sure how those taxes would be assessed and collected, but I think it's funny that Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos could end up having the privilege of contributing their tax money to EV incentives that benefit Tesla and Rivian sales.
Taxing unrealized gains is unconstitutional and a horrible idea. Every home owner or person with a 401k had unrealized gains in 2020. Sure not $100m, but becareful! First they came for the commies and I did nothing, because I was not a commie. Sound familiar?

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
Taxing unrealized gains is unconstitutional and a horrible idea. Every home owner or person with a 401k had unrealized gains in 2020. Sure not $100m, but becareful! First they came for the commies and I did nothing, because I was not a commie. Sound familiar?
Wow, that sounds horrible! Is there no way to set a minimum limit? Oh wait, there is.

I'd recommend not sticking up for the ultrawealthy, you're just an ant under their boot.

Sponsored

lancersrock

First Name
Kody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Honda Pilot, 2011 Mustang GT, 2013 fusion se
Occupation
Field Engineer
Wow, that sounds horrible! Is there no way to set a minimum limit? Oh wait, there is.

I'd recommend not sticking up for the ultrawealthy, you're just an ant under their boot.
i get people want to tax the rich more and i agree but i dont think taxing wealth that is tied up in investments should be taxed. instead tax them at the point they cash it and increase the capital gains tax on all gains over a million to like 35-40%. explain to me why my earned income is taxed at 22% yet the hedge fund baby can cash millions in stock and only pay 15%?

Since Musk is often easy to point out right now this tax would have him paying on a value of $300 billion (almost all of his and Bezos wealth would be classified as gains) and lets say they say 15%. he would then have to cash $45 Billion in Stock and when everyone would come to their senses tesla stock would drop quickly. Now hes worth $100 Billion does he get to complain and get his $30 Billion back? Right now the ultra rich are only that rich on paper, make them pay more when they go to use it. no more tax breaks. no loop holes.

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

The limit can always be changed at a whim and the gov't is addicted to taxing & spending.

techguydave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
None
Occupation
IT
The limit can always be changed at a whim and the gov't is addicted to taxing & spending.
I mean, an unrealized capital gains tax itself is wishful thinking and would never be implemented by either party in a million years, so while we're in dream land mode we can pretend that they wouldn't creep the limits lower.

Last edited:

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Fordskeptic

First Name
Chevy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Capital gains are taxed currently. This proposal represents a brave new world where UNREALIZED capital gains would be taxed.
Sponsored