First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Mustang California Special
Occupation
Retired teacher/CNC prototype machinist
Has anyone had issues with their Powerboost not running in all electric mode. I take the same 8 mile trip to work every morning and my 2021 Powerboost would always run in all electric for about 1/3 of the way, mostly because I travel down hill. The truck doesn't even shut off at traffic lights now.

Jeff
Sponsored

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4×4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Hit the button on Sync for Power Flow and it will tell you why the engine is running.

Tosh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB
Occupation
Re-Tired Bicycle Mechanic
cold weather will cut into your battery time. heavier tires will also.

my electric time has dropped about 20%, and so has my mileage, after getting new tires for winter (and it's still winter, so cold weather is affecting the truck also). I do get it to run on battery when conditions are right, however

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
If you get a Bluetooth OBD dongle like the OBDLink MX+ or something like it you can see the actual charge level of the hybrid battery. The ICE will run if the hybrid cell is below 40% to bring the charge back up to 65-70% max. The ICE will also run if the 12v AGM battery is undercharged from repeated short trips that prevent it from getting charged to the state of charge setting (80% default).

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Might be a code that's not throwing the wrench light. Without looking at it, no way to tell. I've had this behavior pop up post updates but always reverts to normal after even a short 3 mile drive.

Sponsored

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
The ICE will also run if the 12v AGM battery is undercharged from repeated short trips that prevent it from getting charged to the state of charge setting (80% default).
Why does the 12V state of charge affect the ICE? The 12V system is charged by the high voltage system, not the ICE

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Why does the 12V state of charge affect the ICE? The 12V system is charged by the high voltage system, not the ICE
Doesn't matter -- if it's low the ICE will run. Yes the DC/DC is primary generation, but DC/DC is fed by 3 phase inverter from e-motor fed by ICE. If ICE is running due to low batt, good chance the BDSG is adding power too. It only turns on when throttle is depressed slightly.

Oxford_Powerboost

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lariat 5.0
Doesn't matter -- if it's low the ICE will run. Yes the DC/DC is primary generation, but DC/DC is fed by 3 phase inverter from e-motor fed by ICE.
Interesting. Guess I need to look deeper. I saw 13.7V for the 12V system with the ICE off and assumed the only parameter with respect to charging to command the ICE on was that the hybrid battery SOC was too low seeing as 13.7V indicates the DC/DC converter was charging the 12V system

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Interesting. Guess I need to look deeper. I saw 13.7V for the 12V system with the ICE off and assumed the only parameter with respect to charging to command the ICE on was that the hybrid battery SOC was too low seeing as 13.7V indicates the DC/DC converter was charging the 12V system
That's a float voltage, not a charging voltage. Charging is 14.4-15.2

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Doesn't matter -- if it's low the ICE will run. Yes the DC/DC is primary generation, but DC/DC is fed by 3 phase inverter from e-motor fed by ICE. If ICE is running due to low batt, good chance the BDSG is adding power too. It only turns on when throttle is depressed slightly.
When mine was in for the exchanger repair it went into deep sleep and after picking it up the ICE stayed on at stops until I almost made it home from the dealer. But then I also have increased my SOC from 80 to 95% so it took a little longer to bring it back up.

Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Has anyone had issues with their Powerboost not running in all electric mode. I take the same 8 mile trip to work every morning and my 2021 Powerboost would always run in all electric for about 1/3 of the way, mostly because I travel down hill. The truck doesn't even shut off at traffic lights now.

Jeff
Your battery may be bad. The PB can hide this if the HVB never gets low.

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat 4x4 Powerboost
Your battery may be bad. The PB can hide this if the HVB never gets low.
... and, there have been quite a few 12V batteries replaced on 2021's.

I suspect Ford has had some discussions with their supplier.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

Jeff
Hey, Jeff! If you send us a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your concerns on my end.

Mrowland10

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 powerboost
Occupation
Realtor

Jeff
Having this issue currently. Won’t switch to electric then the check engine light came on shortly after.
What was your resolve? I’m at 2200 miles and have been to the shop twice and dead in the water 5 times. Now it’s Christmas and have to rent a vehicle to not be stranded for the holiday.

Mrowland10

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 powerboost
Occupation
Realtor
Hey, Jeff! If you send us a DM with your VIN and Ford dealer info, I can look into your concerns on my end.
did this get fixed? I am 2200 miles in on my 2023 platinum f150 powerboost and now on my 5th dead in the water moment with this truck.
Sponsored