Extremely loud electrical POP followed by loud static

joeniosi

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Platinum
Has anyone done the update? Does it affect sound quality at all? I bought my 22 with 5k kms on it and the b&b unleashed sounded like it has blown speakers since day one. I’ve had the sonic boom twice as well and curious if that caused blown speakers or if the dsp update might actually make it sound better.
Sponsored

Silvah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 502A 3.5 EB 5.5' 4x4 Max Tow
I had a variation of this happen last Sunday. I've previously had the issue where it was so loud your teeth were rattling and nothing would stop it save pulling the amplifier fuse. On Sunday I had just made a turn against the recommendations of Waze and instead of the "calculating new route" sound I got a kindler gentler version of this issue. I was able to turn the volume down, and rebooting Sync got rid of the issue.

My dealership has a mobile service truck that will be here today for oil change, etc, so I'll see if they can reprogram the DSP as well.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
Has anyone done the update? Does it affect sound quality at all? I bought my 22 with 5k kms on it and the b&b unleashed sounded like it has blown speakers since day one. I’ve had the sonic boom twice as well and curious if that caused blown speakers or if the dsp update might actually make it sound better.
I applied the update about two weeks ago, shortly after it was released. Audio quality is unaffected.

AAWhyte

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
I am taking my truck in to get a couple of the recalls looked at. What do I ask to be reprogramed for the audio issue? Is there a number attached to the update? I'd like for them to do this all at once, one trip to the partition of Satan's Hell a dealership is.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
I had a variation of this happen last Sunday. I've previously had the issue where it was so loud your teeth were rattling and nothing would stop it save pulling the amplifier fuse. On Sunday I had just made a turn against the recommendations of Waze and instead of the "calculating new route" sound I got a kindler gentler version of this issue. I was able to turn the volume down, and rebooting Sync got rid of the issue.

My dealership has a mobile service truck that will be here today for oil change, etc, so I'll see if they can reprogram the DSP as well.
This issue has been reported occurring since 2018. My extreme noise exposure occurred on October 4, 2022, and my ears have been loudly ringing 24x7 since then. Ford knows that due to multiple posts here, and a Certified Mail letter sent to the Lightning Chief Engineer. I have had absolutely zero communication from Ford that a "solution" is available, or to bring in my vehicle for DSP reprogramming.

Sponsored

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
I am taking my truck in to get a couple of the recalls looked at. What do I ask to be reprogramed for the audio issue? Is there a number attached to the update? I'd like for them to do this all at once, one trip to the partition of Satan's Hell a dealership is.
Refer to the SSM below:

SSM 51663 2021-2023 F-150/Expedition - Pop Noise And/Or Static In Speakers At Start Up
2021-2023 F-150/Expedition may exhibit a pop noise and/or static in the speakers at start up that cannot be turned down or off using the audio system controls. To correct the condition, reprogram the audio digital signal processing module (DSP) to the latest software level using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 18B849 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.

AAWhyte

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
Refer to the SSM below:

SSM 51663 2021-2023 F-150/Expedition - Pop Noise And/Or Static In Speakers At Start Up
2021-2023 F-150/Expedition may exhibit a pop noise and/or static in the speakers at start up that cannot be turned down or off using the audio system controls. To correct the condition, reprogram the audio digital signal processing module (DSP) to the latest software level using the Ford Diagnosis and Repair System (FDRS) diagnostic scan tool. For claiming, use causal part 18B849 and applicable labor operations in Section 10 of the Service Labor Time Standards (SLTS) Manual.
Awesome thank you Javier!

rugedraw

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150 Platinum FX4 EcoBoost
Occupation
Auto Sales
When they perform the update, FDRS will show the update is still there. As long as they go through the process to install it, it will install even if FDRS shows the update is still pending after they do it.

JEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat PB 502a
You might need to be a little sneaky to get the dealer to apply the DSP. They won’t always do it just by asking them to and showing them the SSM. This update is not part of a recall or a voluntary campaign, so it’s not available just for the asking. When you talk to the service advisor, make it clear that you are experiencing the conditions described in the SSM (loud pop, static) and use the symptoms to “guide“ him to the SSM and the fix—the DSP update.

Some advance warning—the fix is still a little buggy. In addition to the failure to clear the FDRS queue after it is applied, some people have reported some audio irregularities. I had a brief instance where music was momentarily misdirected from the speakers to the IPC and then back to the speakers. Only happened one time post-update but it was strange. Others I’ve heard of had more prolonged instances of misdirected audio (like chimes coming through the IPC) and ended up reversing the install. So, be forwarned. If you are only getting the update prophyllactically and haven’t actually experienced the issue, you might want to think about whether you can live with the possible side-effects.

Last edited:

AAWhyte

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat 5.0
Occupation
PM
You might need to be a little sneaky to get the dealer to apply the DSP. They won’t always do it just by asking them to and showing them the SSM. This update is not part of a recall or a voluntary campaign, so it’s not available just for the asking. When you talk to the service advisor, make it clear that you are experiencing the conditions described in the SSM (loud pop, static) and use the symptoms to “guide“ him to the SSM and the fix—the DSP update.

Some advance warning—the fix is still a little buggy. In addition to the failure to clear the FDRS queue after it is applied, some people have reported some audio irregularities. I had a brief instance where music was momentarily misdirected from the speakers to the IPC and then back to the speakers. Only happened one time post-update but it was strange. Others I’ve heard of had more prolonged instances of misdirected audio (like chimes coming through the IPC) and ended up reversing the install. So, be forwarned. If you are only getting the update prophylactical and haven’t actually experienced the issue, you might want to think about whether you can live with the possible side-effects.
JEB,

Thanks that will help, thanks!

Sponsored

Spooder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Tremor
Occupation
Electron Manufacturing
Checked my service receipt. "scan tool operation with FDRS was performed retrieved diagnostic trouble code U0253 lost communication with accessories protocol interface module" lots of tests of power and ground points - final fix "new APIM module is needed" APIM module replaced and so far so good. Hope this helps some of you.

pjstud1v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat on order

Some advance warning—the fix is still a little buggy. In addition to the failure to clear the FDRS queue after it is applied, some people have reported some audio irregularities. I had a brief instance where music was momentarily misdirected from the speakers to the IPC and then back to the speakers. Only happened one time post-update but it was strange. Others I’ve heard of had more prolonged instances of misdirected audio (like chimes coming through the IPC) and ended up reversing the install. So, be forwarned. If you are only getting the update prophyllactically and haven’t actually experienced the issue, you might want to think about whether you can live with the possible side-effects.
I’m getting these bugs after my update. Misdirected audio is annoying and I’m not taking this truck back to the dealer I’ve been using. I’ll have to wait for someone here to solve it.

maj24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat
I've had this issue happen to me several times now. Sometimes it goes away after restarting the vehicle and other times it hasn't. I came here to report a workaround for when it happens and now noticed there's an update (buggy one).

The last 2 times it's happened, volume and power do not rectify the problem but when I changed the audio source to my android device, the sound stopped and problem was solved. I'll try that again the next time to see it it's a better "workaround" than waiting or a buggy update.

Steve Davis

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco First Edition
Hi there! Would you send us a private message with your VIN and dealership name and location? I’d like to look into this concern on my end.
Today (28JUN23) I had the exact same problems as described by the two other users in this forum, except I have a 2021 Bronco First Edition. My VIN is 1FMEE5EP3MLA41605. This is egregious when it happens. I have a video (for audio purposes) of the static. It stopped after about 10 minutes. I opened the driver's door and it started right back up. After about 20 minutes it stopped again and 10 minutes or so after that, I opened the passenger door and the noise did not start again. I then opened the driver door and nothing happened and I was able to operate the vehicle safely and without the blaring noise. I am very concerned about reoccurances. What have you learned about this problem.

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
Today (28JUN23) I had the exact same problems as described by the two other users in this forum, except I have a 2021 Bronco First Edition. My VIN is 1FMEE5EP3MLA41605. This is egregious when it happens. I have a video (for audio purposes) of the static. It stopped after about 10 minutes. I opened the driver's door and it started right back up. After about 20 minutes it stopped again and 10 minutes or so after that, I opened the passenger door and the noise did not start again. I then opened the driver door and nothing happened and I was able to operate the vehicle safely and without the blaring noise. I am very concerned about reoccurances. What have you learned about this problem.

Do you have a B&O sound system?
Sponsored