Sponsored

Extremely loud electrical POP followed by loud static

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Unless the issue is resolved with full explanation by the manufacturer I can’t possibly keep my truck. Dealer changing out some random component isn’t nearly good enough. Just the thought of this happening to myself is terrifying, but family or friends? No f*cking way. I feel that this is asking the bare minimum out of a vehicle and manufacturer.

Fortunately just got some decent offers. It’s as good as gone. I wish you all good luck.
Sponsored

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
Hmm....I see what you're getting at. Possibly conflicting dissimilar grounds between the old factory amp power harness and new amp ground to the battery. This would indicate a poor ground connection on the factory amp harness that could be the culprit of this static noise issue we are all experiencing. I just followed what Zen indicated in the instructions and its been working fine, mind you I installed this 4yrs ago unless Zen has updated their instructions. My question though, if I connect the zen to the new amp power/ground as you mentioned, will it not cause the zen to be always powered on and never shut down after the Ford head unit goes into its sleep mode? I assumed the factory power to the zen switched off when the head units enters sleep mode. Unless the zen always has constant power but is signaled to enter sleep mode via the A2B canbus??
The "Turn-on" is controlled via data, not the power/ground. It will not stay on or anything like that.. The ZEN recommends less than 1 ohm of resistance on the ground and the factory is higher than that.

Marman242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
The "Turn-on" is controlled via data, not the power/ground. It will not stay on or anything like that.. The ZEN recommends less than 1 ohm of resistance on the ground and the factory is higher than that.
I investigated this over the weekend and didn't realize I already had the Zen power leads tied to the new amp power. My bad, it was 4 years ago when I did the install. The ongoing occasional pop with static was there before the stereo upgrade and even after. Whatever is causing this nuisance we are all experiencing is upstream from the Zen module or factory dsp/amp. My guess is the ACM (audio control module).

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
I investigated this over the weekend and didn't realize I already had the Zen power leads tied to the new amp power. My bad, it was 4 years ago when I did the install. The ongoing occasional pop with static was there before the stereo upgrade and even after. Whatever is causing this nuisance we are all experiencing is upstream from the Zen module or factory dsp/amp. My guess is the ACM (audio control module).
Make sure the ground is attached also to the front-to-rear connection. You are the first and only person with an aftermarket system that we have known to experience this.. That's why I am curious

Marman242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 F150 Lariat
Make sure the ground is attached also to the front-to-rear connection. You are the first and only person with an aftermarket system that we have known to experience this.. That's why I am curious
I'm confused what you mean front to rear ground connection? I have a large main ground cable going directly from the battery negative terminal to a distribution block that feeds the new amps and zen. Do you mean I should rewire the exisiting factory ground that ford ran to the head unit directly to battery also?

Sponsored

SoundsGoodStereo

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Website
soundsgoodstereo.com
Vehicles
F-150
I'm confused what you mean front to rear ground connection? I have a large main ground cable going directly from the battery negative terminal to a distribution block that feeds the new amps and zen. Do you mean I should rewire the exisiting factory ground that ford ran to the head unit directly to battery also?
No, just want to make sure the ZEN is also grounded to the new wire, not the factory.

If you can, grab a video of the noise you are experiencing to see how similar it is to others with factory systems.

deeptube

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Everest Platinum
Occupation
Managing Director
Ford have asked several forum participants for their VIN and promised to look into it.

Have any of these forum participants had any solution or explanation presented by Ford?

All I have had from Ford is “there are no error codes, so we will not replace any components”.

No software update.

Nothing.

Without even an explanation how can I be expected to put my family at risk in the vehicle?

Efalcon80z

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 King Ranch Power Boost
Ford have asked several forum participants for their VIN and promised to look into it.

Have any of these forum participants had any solution or explanation presented by Ford?

All I have had from Ford is “there are no error codes, so we will not replace any components”.

No software update.

Nothing.

Without even an explanation how can I be expected to put my family at risk in the vehicle?
This shit happend to my truck the other day... I lost my hearing. I was able to record a video of it...Crazy. I was going through the expressway trying to get off but there was alot of construction and there was nothing I could do to stop truck and turn it off. Finally after 20 minutes, I pulled over. Stopped the truck. Turned of my truck. Turned it back on and it kept going.....I lost my hearing for awhile...Wouldn't wish this shit on anyone @Ford Motor Company my vin 1FTFW1ED2MFB27491

Lytning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prev: 2000 SVT Lightning; Now: 2022 BEV Lightning
Occupation
Engineer
This shit happend to my truck the other day... I lost my hearing. I was able to record a video of it...Crazy. I was going through the expressway trying to get off but there was alot of construction and there was nothing I could do to stop truck and turn it off. Finally after 20 minutes, I pulled over. Stopped the truck. Turned of my truck. Turned it back on and it kept going.....I lost my hearing for awhile...Wouldn't wish this shit on anyone @Ford Motor Company my vin 1FTFW1ED2MFB27491

I am sorry to hear that ... and extremely angry that Ford has still not resolved the problem, and is not communicating with us owners who have been affected by it. I encourage you to see an Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor as soon as possible. Mine was able to document hearing loss and tinnitus. My ears are still ringing as loudly today as when my incident occurred on October 4, 2022. My ENT said a steroid Rx can sometimes help with the hearing loss and tinnitus, but it must be administered quickly after the noise exposure.

I also encourage you to file a complaint with NHTSA.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150

No software update.

Nothing.

Hi there – send a message to us with your VIN and approximate mileage, along with some more details about your situation. I’ll look into this for you. Thanks!

Sponsored

JamesJu

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 f150
This happened to me again today. Last time it happened was September. We really need to have Ford fix this! My VIN:1FTFW1E8XNKD76794

Steve Briggs

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Hybrid
Occupation
Sales
Today I went to leave the office for lunch. Opened up my door and stepped inside. Before my butt hit the seat, there was an extremely loud electrical sound POP through the speakers followed by loud static. The initial pop was loud enough that I thought somehow windows had shattered, and 4 hours later my left ear is still ringing.

I hadn’t touched anything. No foot on the break, not started, not butt in the seat. I sat there for roughly 30 seconds and started the truck. Static is still coming though all speakers. Truck starts, no problem. Still static. Center screen shows normal with the audio tab. Adjusting the volume on the radio does nothing to the static. No music is playing even though audio tab shows its on. I turn off the radio, still static. Turn it back on, still static.

I powered down the truck and opened the doors. Still static. Got out, closed the doors. Got back in, static still on. So Ieft it.

Come back from lunch roughly 30 minutes later and the static has stopped. Started the truck, everything is normal. Speakers sound good, sub is still working. No issues at all. I thought for sure some speakers would have been blown.

Anyone ever experience this? Any thoughts on what it might have been?

21 Limited if it matters.
It’s happening to me this moment and it’s ridiculous. I turned the truck off and on like three times and can’t get it to stop. I’ve got my windows down and EarPods in as I have a 90 minute drive to do in this nonsense. 2022 f150 lariat powerboost. It’s been one thing after another.

pjstud1v

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Lariat on order
Happened to me again today. It’s supposed to go to the dealer for unreleased warranty and recall work tomorrow. We’ll see if my auxiliary battery went bad again. It was replaced in December.

lcrain

First Name
Lawson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150, '95 911 c2, '97 miata, '98 M3/4/5
My 2021 platinum ecoboost (no power boost) has been exhibiting some concerning traits, similar to those described in this thread.

1. The crackling in the headrest started first, maybe a month ago. Was livable at first as it only last about 15 seconds. It keeps getting worse and is near constant for 5-7 minutes then returning intermittently.

2. I then started to get a loud pop when opening the drivers side door after the truck was remote started. Hard to tell where or which speaker it is coming from.

3. A few times, with the auto start stop function active, the truck has shut down at a stop light completely. Not just the engine, the entire car.

I would say the truck has been more or less trouble free until the last month or two with the above issues. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am about two years into this truck and I really do like it. I am concerned that no one has found a solution and that the dealers are not helpful.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
My 2021 platinum ecoboost (no power boost) has been exhibiting some concerning traits, similar to those described in this thread.

1. The crackling in the headrest started first, maybe a month ago. Was livable at first as it only last about 15 seconds. It keeps getting worse and is near constant for 5-7 minutes then returning intermittently.

2. I then started to get a loud pop when opening the drivers side door after the truck was remote started. Hard to tell where or which speaker it is coming from.

3. A few times, with the auto start stop function active, the truck has shut down at a stop light completely. Not just the engine, the entire car.

I would say the truck has been more or less trouble free until the last month or two with the above issues. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am about two years into this truck and I really do like it. I am concerned that no one has found a solution and that the dealers are not helpful.
Hi there. These noise and motor concerns doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your F-150. Could you please send us a DM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
Sponsored