Sponsored

Expectations for PPF - what is an acceptable finish?

Grafx36510

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 XLT 302A/2022 F150 Tremor 402A
Occupation
The guy that everyone b*&%ches to at work...
Sorry that you had to read about it! My story goes on, things are still not quite right after getting the truck back from the local Ford dealer's body shop, but the PPF shop insurance ponied up and covered the repairs to the tune of $9K + a rental while in the shop.

After a ~4 month wait to get into the body shop the truck was dropped off, kept for about 1mo, and returned to me post-repairs. The orange peel does not match factory, there are a couple of fish-eyes in the paint on a couple panels, a run on the hood seam where it hits the fender, and overspray on several parts including the antenna. Further, they didn't blend into the driver's door and there is a mismatch from fender to door. The paint thickness gauge and orange peel don't lie here, I hate to use the work fraud, but they are claiming work that has pretty clear not been done.

They also didn't replace 2 cut parking sensor retainers, missed reinstalling several fender liner clips/screws, and need to replace the already replacement headlight (OEM replacement headlight has RTV on the inner housing + finger prints on the projector lens). The truck was not cut and buffed either. Having worked in a body shop and cut + buffed cars in high school, I probably am not the best customer to pull one over.

The truck is scheduled to be dropped back off next week.

The PPF + repaint have really soured my enjoyment of the truck. May I serve as a lesson to others that sometimes it's better to just avoid PPF altogether.
Yikes. Sounds like the dealer body shop is just as bad as the PPF installer. That sucks man. I hope this gets straightened out for you because these trucks are so nice and an experience like yours that kills that joy is disheartening.
Sponsored

SCTYDOG

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 Escape Hybrid, 2015 CMax Hybrid, 2003 T-Bird
Occupation
Computer Forensic Examiner
Everything forward of the cab on my Platinum is fully wrapped. I have none of those problems. There is no such thing as a perfect PPF job, but that is bad. Some of those sharp pointed corners should have been rounded. It's the only way to keep them from coming up. One picture with the ripples should have had small slits made like is done in fabric. That looks like a novice job.

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
I paid by check... and he
Sorry that you had to read about it! My story goes on, things are still not quite right after getting the truck back from the local Ford dealer's body shop, but the PPF shop insurance ponied up and covered the repairs to the tune of $9K + a rental while in the shop.

After a ~4 month wait to get into the body shop the truck was dropped off, kept for about 1mo, and returned to me post-repairs. The orange peel does not match factory, there are a couple of fish-eyes in the paint on a couple panels, a run on the hood seam where it hits the fender, and overspray on several parts including the antenna. Further, they didn't blend into the driver's door and there is a mismatch from fender to door. The paint thickness gauge and orange peel don't lie here, I hate to use the word fraud, but they are claiming work that has pretty clearly not been done. The truck was not cut and buffed either. Having worked in a body shop and cut + buffed cars in high school and college, I probably am not the best customer to pull one over.

They also didn't replace 2 cut parking sensor retainers, missed reinstalling several fender liner clips/screws, and need to replace the already replacement headlight (OEM replacement headlight has RTV on the inner housing + finger prints on the projector lens). They are replacing this under warranty. The truck is scheduled to be dropped back off next week so my story goes on still.

The PPF + repaint have really soured my enjoyment of the truck. May I serve as a lesson to others that sometimes it's better to just avoid PPF altogether.
And I thought my situation was bad... not even close to this. Wow!

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Here's the scoop after spending over an hour on the phone today with the owner. There is no way they let other vehicles out the door looking like mine, and be able to maintain their business. Too many people would talk about this poor workmanship. He has a 120K Corvette on the floor that is perfect. They just flat-out slipped on my truck, and he did not oversee it properly, nor were the right people working on it. He allowed them to slip when he should not have. He also claims he got a bad roll of PPF where the edge technology did not work right. Some excuses, some acceptance of responsibility on himself. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. They will strip the entire truck and do it right like it should be done, as he says they are very capable of doing so. Maybe they are... I hope they are. If they don't get it right, then I will demand they strip it and issue me a full refund. He will need to make this right for the sake of his business and reputation. I'll give him the opportunity. I will let you know how it goes. It will be a few weeks.

WestlakeHorn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 (on order)
That’s a hack job. He let a new guy learn on your truck. I’ve had multiple vehicles wrapped by Xpel and only had one minor fix on a Jeep a few years ago.

Frankly, I think they need to start over.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Agree... and that is the plan... start fresh with his best guy helping him, as if it were his own vehicle. No goof ups... it needs to be perfect.

sippy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 f150 platinum
I always ppf my frt bumpers...previous 3 vehicles you could hardly tell they were done. My current truck I took you a new place but very reputable.....bumper looked a lil better than yours...then after a month started to loosen. Went back...and they immediatley said we will redo do it under warranty. After talkng more...we determined if could have been because I had ceramic coated the truck. They removed the ppf and I took it home and polished the ceramic off...and am scheduled next week for reaplication.

So any chance you coated your truck before? There is mixed feelings in the detail/ceramic community on whether the coating should have affected the install. Now I am in the camp..it does.

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
I always ppf my frt bumpers...previous 3 vehicles you could hardly tell they were done. My current truck I took you a new place but very reputable.....bumper looked a lil better than yours...then after a month started to loosen. Went back...and they immediatley said we will redo do it under warranty. After talkng more...we determined if could have been because I had ceramic coated the truck. They removed the ppf and I took it home and polished the ceramic off...and am scheduled next week for reaplication.

So any chance you coated your truck before? There is mixed feelings in the detail/ceramic community on whether the coating should have affected the install. Now I am in the camp..it does.
Nope... new truck and they supposedly polished it first too. They coated it with Ceramic Pro after the PPF install.

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Figuring a complete PPF wrap seems to run $6,000-$8500 for an F150, what should someone expect on the finish. Would the following be tolerable or would you want the pieces repaired or replaced? There is some vinyl, but mostly matte PPF.

Image7.png

Image6.png
Image5.png
Image4.png
Image3.png
Image2.png
Image1.png
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your F-150 concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Hi there, I'd be happy to look into your F-150 concerns on my end. Will you send us a message with your VIN and dealership info? I can look into things on my end.
I would like an immediate refund if you can arrange that please. :sneaky:

m_bt54

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost Hybrid
Occupation
IT Director
how funny would it be if this ended up being the one issue the Ford bot was actually able to fix… the one isssue not has nothing to do with Ford…

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
how funny would it be if this ended up being the one issue the Ford bot was actually able to fix… the one isssue not has nothing to do with Ford…
I'd fall in love with a bot I suppose.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
I'd fall in love with a bot I suppose.
Oh boy, there's Ai "girlfriends" out there that people have become alarmingly attached to. On a software update the "personality" was changed and far too many people flipped their shit about it.

Hope you get your PPF sorted out. Can't believe the total time they've had your truck already!?

kb2755

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 F-150 XLT 302A Sport
Agree... and that is the plan... start fresh with his best guy helping him, as if it were his own vehicle. No goof ups... it needs to be perfect.
Hard to find, but this is what you need. A shop that treats every customer vehicle like their own the first time. My guy does C8 Corvettes, McLarens, Porsches one day and Volkswagens, Fords, Hondas the next. Each one treated with the same attention and detail.
Sponsored