Sponsored

Expectations for PPF - what is an acceptable finish?

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
I'd fall in love with a bot I suppose.

Hey Sonnie- did you ever get this issue sorted out to your satisfaction?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer
Hey Sonnie- did you ever get this issue sorted out to your satisfaction?
Somewhat... he worked on it several times and kept it forever. He had to replace complete sections. It got to a point that I didn't want to be without my truck any longer. He got it all done to where I accepted it, although I was not particularly happy that I still had one small contamination spot (sand grit) on the tailgate and one on the left rear quarter panel that is rather large. He did do a much better job on the wrapped edges, although there are a few spots that could have been better in my opinion.

There were cut marks in the vehicle where they tried to pull back the rear Platinum applique and the side bed rails instead of removing them, although when he pulled back the Platinum panel he bent it. He said he was afraid to remove them because he had heard they break easily. I ended up removing them, fixing the panel, and showing them how to remove them, then taking it back for correction.

It was a mess overall, and I would not go back there again. He had his $120K-150K car in the shop that I could not find one spec of an issue with, but he claims the matte wrap was a lot harder to work with and that he doesn't have the same issues with gloss wrap. I'm not sure how contamination has anything to do with the type of wrap. He kept asking me if I would be willing to accept it if there was only 1 contamination spot because he claims no one can get it perfect 100% of the time. Well... due to having to drive 1.5 hours one way and leave it, I just decided to live with it. Overall, it looks good, but those spots are there and won't be going away.

nomarhits400

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Poweboost
Occupation
Analytical Chemist
Somewhat... he worked on it several times and kept it forever. He had to replace complete sections. It got to a point that I didn't want to be without my truck any longer. He got it all done to where I accepted it, although I was not particularly happy that I still had one small contamination spot (sand grit) on the tailgate and one on the left rear quarter panel that is rather large. He did do a much better job on the wrapped edges, although there are a few spots that could have been better in my opinion.

There were cut marks in the vehicle where they tried to pull back the rear Platinum applique and the side bed rails instead of removing them, although when he pulled back the Platinum panel he bent it. He said he was afraid to remove them because he had heard they break easily. I ended up removing them, fixing the panel, and showing them how to remove them, then taking it back for correction.

It was a mess overall, and I would not go back there again. He had his $120K-150K car in the shop that I could not find one spec of an issue with, but he claims the matte wrap was a lot harder to work with and that he doesn't have the same issues with gloss wrap. I'm not sure how contamination has anything to do with the type of wrap. He kept asking me if I would be willing to accept it if there was only 1 contamination spot because he claims no one can get it perfect 100% of the time. Well... due to having to drive 1.5 hours one way and leave it, I just decided to live with it. Overall, it looks good, but those spots are there and won't be going away.

Oh man- really sorry to hear that -especially after what you paid....Did he offer you any discount in the end?

I'd really like to PPF the front of the truck and part of the hood. I've done it myself before- but was thinking of having a third party do it.....but since it's such a small job and I don't have any recommended installers (your story is exactly what I am afraid of), I'll probably go this route:

https://www.invisiblemask.com/imask/index.php?route=product/product&path=51537&product_id=316159

SpaceWhiteF150

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Oh man- really sorry to hear that -especially after what you paid....Did he offer you any discount in the end?

I'd really like to PPF the front of the truck and part of the hood. I've done it myself before- but was thinking of having a third party do it.....but since it's such a small job and I don't have any recommended installers (your story is exactly what I am afraid of), I'll probably go this route:

https://www.invisiblemask.com/imask/index.php?route=product/product&path=51537&product_id=316159
Update us if you do this, I have also thought about doing this!

OP
OP
Sonnie

Sonnie

First Name
Sonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Platinum
Occupation
FFL Dealer

No discounts offered... just apologies. I know the film is not cheap, and he spent a lot of money replacing it, but that's part of the cost when you have installers who don't do it right and allow contamination underneath the film. Had I paid him by credit card, I would dispute it until we came to a reasonable solution, but I paid him by check with the promise to make any issues right on the two week return after initial pickup. 3 trips later leaving it with him for a week or longer each time... one time 3 weeks, was all I could tolerate. A very expensive lesson for me.

I won't do another wrap with anyone unless I get a guarantee up front that there will be no contamination that is not removed. Then I'll pay with a credit card for the extra protection. I know the questions to ask now. My wife and I are considering getting our new Jeep wrapped in the clear.
Sponsored