Sponsored

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning, 2021 Mach-E
Just picked my truck up this week. Bluecruise was working great then just stopped working. Not sure why but can anyone check to see if I have any updates pending that may have messed it up? 1FTFW1ED3NFB34807
I'll check your available updates tomorrow (from a different computer) and post results but before that I'd like to leave you with this TSB. There have been several instances of Mach-Es with working BC that just stopped working.

Mike
Sponsored

Attachments

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Done. I sent by DM.

Mike
Thank you! I'm certain the help your giving the people here on the forum is truly appreciated. I know the people here helped me get through the same situation, at a point when I was absolutely frustrated not knowing what to do.

Thanks again

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
System Protection Technician
I'll check your available updates tomorrow (from a different computer) and post results but before that I'd like to leave you with this TSB. There have been several instances of Mach-Es with working BC that just stopped working.

Mike
Thank you for the help. It was great while it worked for a short period of time.

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Thank you, Mike. I purchased the license at 12:51 today and did the remaining updates myself. It took less than 2 hours, all were canbus-and I still have the tach. I am now even more baffled by the behavior of Ford and the dealer. This was not difficult and pretty quick, especially since I had to use a mobile hotspot! The dealership could have done this easily and Ford could have approved it. I have been a long time Ford owner but I am now beginning to rethink that.
I see it almost the opposite way.
Although I agree that when I first dove into doing my own updates, I was a bit baffled at why the struggle at the dealership?

But now that I know what the challenges actually are and how I am plenty well equipped to take care of my own truck, I find it a bit liberating the way Ford has set the new approach up. I'm more reluctant to return to the legacy model of being at the mercy of the dealership.

No thanks. You might have forced me to discover what FDRS even is. But now it's a tiny taste of dejavu of my youth when I could actually troubleshoot and fix my own stuff. This old man is smiling like the cat that ate the canary. :)

discothan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT
Hi folks! Can someone check my VIN? I have lost screenshots of a previous scan.
Thanks! 1FTFW1E82MKD04292

Sponsored

EcoPlat

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a EcoBoost
Done. I sent by DM.

Mike
Thanks a lot Mike. I guess it looks like they have my truck completely screwed up. I'm not sure what my next step should be. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Joeyv84

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Sport 4x4
Long time lurker here. I wanted to say thank you to everyone that has contributed to this thread. After 3 dealer trips (multiple dealers) for a total of 20 days, they handed me the keys saying they can't figure it out. Frustrated, I turned to this forum and found this thread. After 3 days and who knows how many hours, I am fully updated on my 2021 Job 1 302A. Everything works as should.

I was a victim of the stuck 1.7.1 OTA update and had to use TSB 22-2150. After pushing through that and second FDRS renewal I was able to complete all the updates. A couple of notes for thought:
  1. If you are like me and have a laptop with out an RJ45 ethernet port, do yourself a favor and buy two usb-ethernet adapters for TSB 22-2150. I attempted it with a USB hub that had HDMI, USB, and Ethernet and it failed.
  2. Make sure your battery is in decent shape and use the charger recommended in the guide. Even with the charger recommended in the guide, my battery was barely able to stay above 12.5V, which led to constant issues at first. After I swapped for a new battery, the voltage in FDRS was constantly above 13V on power-supply mode.
  3. This is more of a suggestion, but follow the the directions in this bulletin for the order of SW updates to preform after preforming TSB-22-2150. No issues with my updates following the order in this document.
  4. For some up the updates that required a USB Thumb Drive - I would receive a confirmation to restart the vehicle, but would never get the update successful pop-up. I tempted fate and clicked Yes, update was successful, in FDRS. Some of the time, FDRS would lose communication with the truck and other times it would go on to check the modules for Pass/Fail. If you lose communication, disconnect the Mongoose adapter and restart FDRS. This would usually clear the SW update for that module after it ran a network scan.
  5. Last thing, don't start drinking beer while doing this, you may end up downing a 12 pack on the first night. Detailing the exterior was far more lucrative the next day.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
U-2100: initial configuration not complete

I found a way to resolve erroneous initial configuration not complete DTC's with ForScan. It is known to appear after software updates for those who have modified as built data, but may also appear for owners with stock configurations. It can appear for various reasons, but the circumstance detailed below is seemingly common.

I've seen modules replaced because of these faults (since it blocks updates). Perhaps you can save some time by tring these steps.

My understanding of this fault is that some modules rewrite default as built parameters after particular updates and they fail for whatever reason which then corrupts them.

If you are stuck with a persistent U-2100 or similar DTC after an OTA or FRDS update which states: initial configuration not complete, it can be cleared but it takes more steps than usual.

-------------------------------

The ForScan Way:

As built configurations do not need to be returned to default to clear this error.

In ForScan go to > Configuration and programing > Module X Module Configuration (As Built) > Restore All (nothing changes) > Write All > Yes Force Rewrite all current values > Follow on screen steps.

After successful forced as built rewrite > back out of module configuration tab > go to service functions tab > under service procedures select the module(s) you rewrote > perform a module reset action > follow on screen steps.

When done > select the GWM > perform a module reset action > follow on screen steps.

This accomplishes is a forced rewrite of the custom as built data and forced reboot of the module with undesirable DTCs. Rebooting the GWM is simply to ensure the in-vehicle handshake is re-established before final steps.

In ForScan > back out of the service functions tab > go to DTC Tab > Reset DTC's > follow on screen steps.

Initial configuration not complete DTCs for the target ECU will now disappear.

Note 1: Attempting to restore a known-good as built backup will fail. I believe the nature of this error is some sort of checksum fault in the as built data on the module.

Note 2: Uncleared DTC's will prevent future OTA's from completing in target modules as per the WSM. Therefore, it is important to try to clear / resolve DTC's when any are present so that future updates can complete.

The FRDS way:

I haven't personally tried to resolve this type of issue with FRDS yet, but I have read this response from the hotline after another tech ran into a nearly identical situation.

Recovery PMI process
Connect FRDS to the vehicle and begin a session.
Physically disconnect FRDS from the vehicle then initiate PMI for the desired module.
Keep the FRDS session active.
Let FRDS fail to connect.
Reconnect the VCM to the OBD.
Instruct FRDS the original module is not available.
The PMI process will then proceed.
It will clear the fault by rewriting the original ECU as if it is a new replacement.

After the FRDS session I suggest disconnecting all 12V vehicle power sources for a minute to ensure all modules reboot otherwise there may be a new DTC for ethernet disconnected.

Pro Power equipped vehicles have an extra 12V auxiliary battery under the passenger rear seat.

After the U code is cleared updates from Over The Air or FRDS can resume as intended.
I’m going to try this procedure today in forscan to see if it will update my OTA deployment…

edit: got everything completed, but I couldn’t find the GWM module

Last edited:

EcoPlat

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT 302a EcoBoost
I had my truck in to the dealer in June to try and get it unstuck from 1.7.1 and they failed. They made a bunch of excuses and said they would call me when they got the right equipment. So last Monday, a week ago, I took it in and they have had it now for almost 2 weeks. Can someone please check what they have been doing so that when I call them tomorrow I can try to get a straight story. Thank you very much. 1FTFW1E8XMKD79502
Just a quick update, Mike G was great and gave me a review of what the dealer was doing the last two weeks. I called and got excuses about losing my phone number and trying to call me??? In the end they were very apologetic and said it was fixed, which I didn't believe but they said to give them a couple of hours to clean and wash it and I could pick it up. When I got there it looked brand new and shiny, tires dressed and all. To my surprise the greyed out version and updates were gone and everything was working perfectly. I even got an update on the way home. Just glad to get the truck back and I hope to never do that again.

Sponsored

wayfarer556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 XLT Powerboost 302A
Just a quick update, Mike G was great and gave me a review of what the dealer was doing the last two weeks. I called and got excuses about losing my phone number and trying to call me??? In the end they were very apologetic and said it was fixed, which I didn't believe but they said to give them a couple of hours to clean and wash it and I could pick it up. When I got there it looked brand new and shiny, tires dressed and all. To my surprise the greyed out version and updates were gone and everything was working perfectly. I even got an update on the way home. Just glad to get the truck back and I hope to never do that again.
There are companies that pay 7 figures to get worse support than what we get from the volunteers in these forums.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you for the help. It was great while it worked for a short period of time.
So hopefully you've gotten some resolution to your BC issue?

Had to do an internal battery replacement on my FDRS laptop or I would have gotten back to you sooner.

I don't see where you have any available updates at all.

Mike

Mcbutter

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 F250
Occupation
System Protection Technician
So hopefully you've gotten some resolution to your BC issue?

Had to do an internal battery replacement on my FDRS laptop or I would have gotten back to you sooner.

I don't see where you have any available updates at all.

Mike
Was able to go back out yesterday and it worked great again. I'm not familiar with the logic behind it, as far as what needs to be checked off to allow it, but reading the connected services side mentioning AT&T service needed I noticed it was acting somewhat strange when it didn't work. I appreciate you checking out for any updates, no worries about it being sooner because you're helping me out.

Mike G

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
U-2100: initial configuration not complete

I found a way to resolve erroneous initial configuration not complete DTC's with ForScan. It is known to appear after software updates for those who have modified as built data, but may also appear for owners with stock configurations. It can appear for various reasons, but the circumstance detailed below is seemingly common.

I've seen modules replaced because of these faults (since it blocks updates). Perhaps you can save some time by tring these steps.

My understanding of this fault is that some modules rewrite default as built parameters after particular updates and they fail for whatever reason which then corrupts them.

If you are stuck with a persistent U-2100 or similar DTC after an OTA or FRDS update which states: initial configuration not complete, it can be cleared but it takes more steps than usual.

The ForScan Way:

As built configurations do not need to be returned to default to clear this error.

In ForScan go to > Configuration and programing > Module X Module Configuration (As Built) > Restore All (nothing changes) > Write All > Yes Force Rewrite all current values > Follow on screen steps.

After successful forced as built rewrite > back out of module configuration tab > go to service functions tab > under service procedures select the module(s) you rewrote > perform a module reset action > follow on screen steps.

When done > select the GWM > perform a module reset action > follow on screen steps.

This accomplishes is a forced rewrite of the custom as built data and forced reboot of the module with undesirable DTCs. Rebooting the GWM is simply to ensure the in-vehicle handshake is re-established before final steps.

In ForScan > back out of the service functions tab > go to DTC Tab > Reset DTC's > follow on screen steps.

Initial configuration not complete DTCs for the target ECU will now disappear.

Note 1: Attempting to restore a known-good as built backup will fail. I believe the nature of this error is some sort of checksum fault in the as built data on the module.

Note 2: Uncleared DTC's will prevent future OTA's from completing in target modules as per the WSM. Therefore, it is important to try to clear / resolve DTC's when any are present so that future updates can complete.

The FRDS way:

I haven't personally tried to resolve this type of issue with FRDS yet, but I have read this response from the hotline after another tech ran into a nearly identical situation.

Recovery PMI process
Connect FRDS to the vehicle and begin a session.
Physically disconnect FRDS from the vehicle then initiate PMI for the desired module.
Keep the FRDS session active.
Let FRDS fail to connect.
Reconnect the VCM to the OBD.
Instruct FRDS the original module is not available.
The PMI process will then proceed.
It will clear the fault by rewriting the original ECU as if it is a new replacement.

After the FRDS session I suggest disconnecting all 12V vehicle power sources for a minute to ensure all modules reboot otherwise there may be a new DTC for ethernet disconnected.

Pro Power equipped vehicles have an extra 12V auxiliary battery under the passenger rear seat.

After the U code is cleared updates from Over The Air or FRDS can resume as intended.
Great post and very helpful.

You gotta wonder though why a "Ctrl-ALT-Del" button was never included in FDRS to cause a complete reboot of all modules after programming something that needs a reset to properly show up. I'm talking about things like those USB updates we do that you have to shutdown the car and take the key fob out of range of the car for like 10-15 minutes to ensure it's gone to sleep so the A/B switch can take place. Would have been a lot simpler and time saving overall if there was a way to just reboot the whole car, let it get settled and then go on to program the next module without waiting on a 'sleep delay'.

Also, on the disconnecting the adapter from OBDII and then selecting the PMI, letting it fail, etc. I thought there were instuctions in the troubleshooting steps for recovering modules that told you to simply say "No" when asked if the original module was installed. Isn't that the same thing? Or is disconnecting the adapter from the OBDII serving some other purpose?

Mike

Last edited: