Driver’s door won’t lock/unlock on 2021 Lariat when cold

bp1954fromca

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Drivers door won’t lock/unlock when the temp is below freezing. Dealer ordered parts in December and now are on back order. Currently this area is under a polar vortex so the only way in/out of the vehicle is crawling over the console and out the passenger door. The dealer and Ford Canada say there is nothing that can be done but wait on the parts. Does anyone know of a parts supplier I can follow up with. I am not satisfied with response of the Ford network to this point so hoping I get a lead on this forum.
Sponsored

Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Need part number(s) to be of any help

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I trust you have tried to open the door for the inside. Have had that problem on both my 15 and 18 passenger doors. Pull up on the handle and push the out to see if it will open. I’m not sure the lock will pop up but the door should open with a bit of effort most times, but I know from past experience it sometimes wouldn’t open until the weather got warmer. Ford has some kind of a fix that’s supposed to correct this problem but it’s still a pain when it happens.

ryanc111

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leadfoot Powerboost
Drivers door won’t lock/unlock when the temp is below freezing. Dealer ordered parts in December and now are on back order. Currently this area is under a polar vortex so the only way in/out of the vehicle is crawling over the console and out the passenger door. The dealer and Ford Canada say there is nothing that can be done but wait on the parts. Does anyone know of a parts supplier I can follow up with. I am not satisfied with response of the Ford network to this point so hoping I get a lead on this forum.
Had same issue with my truck last winter. Can’t help on finding the parts quick but I will say that the replacement parts resolved the issue. Currently -14 here right now and have had zero issues this winter.

Other than climbing over I did find that occasionally it would resolve if I remote started the truck to warm up the interior. Didn’t work 100% of the time though.

OP
OP

bp1954fromca

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
I trust you have tried to open the door for the inside. Have had that problem on both my 15 and 18 passenger doors. Pull up on the handle and push the out to see if it will open. I’m not sure the lock will pop up but the door should open with a bit of effort most times, but I know from past experience it sometimes wouldn’t open until the weather got warmer. Ford has some kind of a fix that’s supposed to correct this problem but it’s still a pain when it happens.
I have tried to open from the outside and inside and sometimes this works but not often. I have also had experience where it won’t lock after driving in cold weather. All the other doors are locked. This is concerning as I don’t want leave the truck unlocked. I wish the dealer and Ford Canada would try harder to find parts but they don’t seem to want think outside the box.

Sponsored

Big Dog Daddy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat 5.0 4x4 Ex Cab Antimatter Blue
Unless you have the chrome package, this will need color match before installing
For chrome same p/n but with CB suffix.
Both chrome and paint match versions were superceded from suffix CA and BAPTM With CB and BBPTM so something has been updated.
Ford F-150 Driver’s door won’t lock/unlock on 2021 Lariat when cold Screenshot_20230129_123810_Chrome

Last edited:

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
I have tried to open from the outside and inside and sometimes this works but not often. I have also had experience where it won’t lock after driving in cold weather. All the other doors are locked. This is concerning as I don’t want leave the truck unlocked. I wish the dealer and Ford Canada would try harder to find parts but they don’t seem to want think outside the box.
Would you have tried lock de-icer or silicon spray down the top of the lock on top of the door . Only other thing I can think of is point your vent directly on the door with max heat while you drive. I’ve had that work on couple of occasions.

OP
OP

bp1954fromca

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
Would you have tried lock de-icer or silicon spray down the top of the lock on top of the door . Only other thing I can think of is point your vent directly on the door with max heat while you drive. I’ve had that work on couple of occasions.
Hadn’t thought of de-icer on lock. Will try. Thanks,

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
Hadn’t thought of de-icer on lock. Will try. Thanks,
Another thought. You could try warming the door with a hair dryer if you can get it open. On the hinge side of the door not the outside.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bp1954fromca

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
So I tried the lock de-icer around lock indicator as you suggested and that solved my issues. It has been -30C here for the last few days. Thanks for the idea. If anyone else has the same problem try this as it has worked for me.

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
So I tried the lock de-icer around lock indicator as you suggested and that solved my issues. It has been -30C here for the last few days. Thanks for the idea. If anyone else has the same problem try this as it has worked for me.
You should be ok as long as it stays cold. I always found the locks froze after a warm spell followed by cold ; seems moisture gets into the mechanism and freezes.

OP
OP

bp1954fromca

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport
You should be ok as long as it stays cold. I always found the locks froze after a warm spell followed by cold ; seems moisture gets into the mechanism and freezes.
I am ok doing this if happens again. At least it is a temporary fix until the new parts arrive.
Sponsored