Sponsored

Does your 5.0 sound really loud on a cold start?

sbouffleur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Screw/5.0/6.5bed
Yes 2023 f150 XL 5.0 3:73 gears.
So that begs the question, why would cause mine to create such a racket when yours does not? Or the other user who reported that his made similar noises? I do have a scheduled visit to my local dealer to get their opinion as well.
Sponsored

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
There is a lot of noise going on for sure - any theories on what you are hearing?
Very little to gain from the audio. Certain sounds stand out at various points. A mechanic's stethoscope probing various parts of the engine would be interesting. There's so many overlapping sounds that without being able to single out sections of the assembly with a device it'd be hard to pinpoint any one thing. There's a lot of sounds.

I have a powerboost and it's got an entirely different set of notes. The electric motor drives the torque converter presenting an opportunity to listen to the transmission alone without the ICE in the equation. A cold start on the 3.5 sounds nothing like the 5.0, that's for sure.

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
There is a lot of noise going on for sure - any theories on what you are hearing?
I don’t hear anything wrong here, no direct injected engine is quiet while it’s running at 1,200 rpm with an enriched mixture to heat up the catalyst system. Anyone who claims such a thing is hard of hearing. Not one 3.5 or 5.0 that I test drove back in February was quiet from a cold start on the dealer lot. I really believe you are chasing a ghost here. All had rhythmic knocking from the catalytic converters and a whine from the trans pump.

Last edited:

sbouffleur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Screw/5.0/6.5bed
I don’t hear anything wrong here, no direct injected engine is quiet while it’s running at 1,200 rpm with an enriched mixture to heat up the catalyst system. Anyone who claims such a thing is hard of hearing. Not one 3.5 or 5.0 that I test drove back in February was quiet from a cold start on the dealer lot. I really believe you are chasing a ghost here. All had rhythmic knocking from the catalytic converters and a whine from the trans pump.
I am coming to the realization that there is a lot more going on with this engine/trans than my 2017/6 speed version. The one noise that you don't hear here that is my biggest concern is the random grinding/hammering that I occasionally feel when driving. It has only happened a few times but it's usually when cruising along steady at 40mph in either 8th or 9th gear. It usually starts and only lasts 5-10 seconds but it sounds like either loud pumping/hammering noise - almost like the sound you hear when it hasn't fully disengaged 4wd. It has always happened on the way to work and while warmed up I can't say for sure if the trans temp is completely up to operating temp. Ambient temps last week were in the mid 20's F in the AM so it takes a while to warm up.

Sponsored

TexasTruck

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 STX BAP
Occupation
I fix software bugs!
Is the rise and fall whine sound in this clip the transmission pump? I just ran an errand, 85* here, truck is warm and idling after my errand and I’m in my garage… If I raise the idle the whine sound seems to disappear.... sorry about the audio quality....

Murrk847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 5.0 F150 STX
Guys, this is a V8 motor with dual overhead cams. It has 4 cams, 32 valves, a bunch of chains and crap, a belt driven oil pump, etc.... A lot of moving metal. It is going to be a little noisy.

tony72cutlass's'

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1972 Cutlass, '21 F-150 XLT SCAB
Guys, this is a V8 motor with dual overhead cams. It has 4 cams, 32 valves, a bunch of chains and crap, a belt driven oil pump, etc.... A lot of moving metal. It is going to be a little noisy.
dont forget cylinder deactivation hardware!

these motors will never be as smooth as good ol' pushrod V8's were. pound for pound power is unreal though

Ford guy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 F150 5.0
Occupation
Retired
I have a 21 F150 I bought back in October. Lariat Sport, 4x4, 5.0, 2KW outlet, dual alternator, etc. It now has 6K.
Since new, on a cold start, the drivetrain somewhere is really loud. Not a knock or rattle. It sounds like a cavitating pump / growl. As soon as it warms up, its quiet. Dealing with Ford Engineers, it was thought the transmission / torque converter was the noise. So they expedited a replacement and last week, my dealer installed it. Cooler, transmission, torque converter. Well- its just as noisy as before. I haven't told them yet as they have been fabulous to deal with and really thought this was the noise. Am I crazy? is it normal? truck runs and drives great- debating on just ignoring it.
My 21 5.0 has made this same sound on cold start ups since I bought it last September. I was wondering if you ever figured out where it was coming from.

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' F-150
I recently purchased a 2023 XLT Screw/5.0/6.5/max tow to replace my 2017 of a similar config. I've been driving it for about 3 weeks now and also a bit concerned about all the noise that the transmission makes, especially at cold start. My 2017 was a six speed and it was quiet as a mouse other than the engine fan noise on initial startup. So far I'm not impressed at all with the noise and herky/jerky "what gear should I choose now" nature of the 10 speed. Fuel economy is noticeably better once it gets into 10th gear on the highway, but other than that I see no improvements from the 6 speed. Here are a few videos of mine on cold start - does this sound the same as any of yours?

This is mine right here ^^. Noisy as hell on start up. And I agree with you on the transmission. I was doing 35mph in 10th gear the other day...WTF?

Sponsored

Trailrated

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23' F-150
I am coming to the realization that there is a lot more going on with this engine/trans than my 2017/6 speed version. The one noise that you don't hear here that is my biggest concern is the random grinding/hammering that I occasionally feel when driving. It has only happened a few times but it's usually when cruising along steady at 40mph in either 8th or 9th gear. It usually starts and only lasts 5-10 seconds but it sounds like either loud pumping/hammering noise - almost like the sound you hear when it hasn't fully disengaged 4wd. It has always happened on the way to work and while warmed up I can't say for sure if the trans temp is completely up to operating temp. Ambient temps last week were in the mid 20's F in the AM so it takes a while to warm up.
The random grinding/hammering you are hearing is the front wheel ends. Mine did it when below 32* when I first got the truck. When you hear it and immediately with into 4H its goes away. There is a big topic on it in another F-150 forum.