Sponsored

Does your 5.0 sound really loud on a cold start?

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
I like your user name. I traded a 2018 F250 for this truck and I really do miss it. I’ll have another. Story for another time. Anyway- I’ve added a 4” MBRP exhaust and it completely drowns out the noise. I tried posting a video on here before but failed miserably.
Nice, thats one way to solve the problem. I think maybe our stories are the same, I traded in a 2014 Ram 2500.
Sponsored

Chilidog

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150, Lariat, 5.0, Fx4, 502A, Carbonized Gray
I noticed mine seems unusually loud at first with a cold start. Now I just use the remote start from in the house and by the time I leave it sounds fine so I don't think I'm going to worry about it. When I take it in for the first oil change I will mention it.

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
21 XLT 4x4 5.0
just turned 23,000
kinda noisy on cold starts, but completely settles down within a mile.
pretty sure this is the trans pump gears yelling out.
by the time the trans warms up (about 5-6miles), I don’t hear it at all.
this is at the second signal on my way to work, and since my window is down, I should hear it if it were still growling..

TXGREEK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 FX4 Lariat
I have a 21 F150 I bought back in October. Lariat Sport, 4x4, 5.0, 2KW outlet, dual alternator, etc. It now has 6K.
Since new, on a cold start, the drivetrain somewhere is really loud. Not a knock or rattle. It sounds like a cavitating pump / growl. As soon as it warms up, its quiet. Dealing with Ford Engineers, it was thought the transmission / torque converter was the noise. So they expedited a replacement and last week, my dealer installed it. Cooler, transmission, torque converter. Well- its just as noisy as before. I haven't told them yet as they have been fabulous to deal with and really thought this was the noise. Am I crazy? is it normal? truck runs and drives great- debating on just ignoring it.
I’ve noticed it too and now have 2k miles on my 2023 5.0 so yesterday as I’m breaking in the 5.0 I did my second oil change and switched to Amsoil Signature Series 5W-30 100% Synthetic motor oil and EAO17 oil filter and while i was stopped at the light I was wowed with just how much smoother the engine felt and sounded. I’d recommend at the least 3 oil changes with Amsoil Signature Series and see if it makes a significant difference as I’m a HUGE believer in Amsoil Signature Series and it’s only a few bucks more than Mobil One which isn’t 100% Synthetic, it’s all I’ve ever used in all my trucks and cars which eventually accumulate (for me) high Miles with zero engine problems. You can become a member online and save a lot with free shipping too. Hey, a high performance platform engine deserves a high performance oil. Good luck and God Bless

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
When I cold start mine I hear the transmission fluid pump. Between that and the fans ripping I can’t even hear the actual engine until it’s warm or if I accelerate.

Sponsored

Bigmoore86

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 f150 screw 5.0
Occupation
Metal fabricator
I’ve noticed the same thing lately. Anyone ever get to the bottom of it ??

sbouffleur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 XLT Screw/5.0/6.5bed
I recently purchased a 2023 XLT Screw/5.0/6.5/max tow to replace my 2017 of a similar config. I've been driving it for about 3 weeks now and also a bit concerned about all the noise that the transmission makes, especially at cold start. My 2017 was a six speed and it was quiet as a mouse other than the engine fan noise on initial startup. So far I'm not impressed at all with the noise and herky/jerky "what gear should I choose now" nature of the 10 speed. Fuel economy is noticeably better once it gets into 10th gear on the highway, but other than that I see no improvements from the 6 speed. Here are a few videos of mine on cold start - does this sound the same as any of yours?

gagliano7

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 4x4 XL STX BAP 5.0 3:73
Mine doesn't sound like that. mine is quiet

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
I recently purchased a 2023 XLT Screw/5.0/6.5/max tow to replace my 2017 of a similar config. I've been driving it for about 3 weeks now and also a bit concerned about all the noise that the transmission makes, especially at cold start. My 2017 was a six speed and it was quiet as a mouse other than the engine fan noise on initial startup. So far I'm not impressed at all with the noise and herky/jerky "what gear should I choose now" nature of the 10 speed. Fuel economy is noticeably better once it gets into 10th gear on the highway, but other than that I see no improvements from the 6 speed. Here are a few videos of mine on cold start - does this sound the same as any of yours?

Yup, that’s what mine sounds like cold. E-Fans, transmission pump, and 3,000 psi high pressure direct injection fuel pump are what you are hearing. Usually quiets up with a warm engine, but with an enriched mixture and elevated revs to heat up the catalyst system this is what you get.

sbouffleur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yup, that’s what mine sounds like cold. E-Fans, transmission pump, and 3,000 psi high pressure direct injection fuel pump are what you are hearing. Usually quiets up with a warm engine, but with an enriched mixture and elevated revs to heat up the catalyst system this is what you get.
So in addition to the trans pump, I am guessing that some of these sounds/features/devices were not present on my 2017 5.0? The that that is the most concerning to me is the undulating/cyclical one that sounds like an air compressor that is about to go bad. Is that the transmission pump? And if so is it the actual pump inside the transmission or is there an auxiliary pump of some kind?

Assuming all these are "normal" I guess I will learn to live with them. The one sound you don't hear in any of the videos I posted is a similar hammering/cyclical noise that I randomly get when cruising along at about 40mph in 8th or 9th gear. It almost sounds like the 4WD is trying to engage for about 5-10 seconds and then it just stops. This is usually when the motor coolant has reached normal temp but the trans temp is still cool.

Sponsored

JExpedition07

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 STX 5.0L V8
So in addition to the trans pump, I am guessing that some of these sounds/features/devices were not present on my 2017 5.0? The that that is the most concerning to me is the undulating/cyclical one that sounds like an air compressor that is about to go bad. Is that the transmission pump? And if so is it the actual pump inside the transmission or is there an auxiliary pump of some kind?

Assuming all these are "normal" I guess I will learn to live with them. The one sound you don't hear in any of the videos I posted is a similar hammering/cyclical noise that I randomly get when cruising along at about 40mph in 8th or 9th gear. It almost sounds like the 4WD is trying to engage for about 5-10 seconds and then it just stops. This is usually when the motor coolant has reached normal temp but the trans temp is still cool.
A 2017 and a 2021+ 5.0 aren’t even the same base engine to put it simply. They aren’t even the same displacement and tons of differences, the 10R80 fluid pump has straight cut gears, it’s very loud and whistles too.

2017 - Port injected 302 cubic inch with 10.5:1 compression

2021+ - Direct Injected (w/ supplemental port injection) 307 cubic inch with 12:1 compression.

sbouffleur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A 2017 and a 2021+ 5.0 aren’t even the same base engine to put it simply. They aren’t even the same displacement and tons of differences, the 10R80 fluid pump has straight cut gears, it’s very loud and whistles too.

2017 - Port injected 302 cubic inch with 10.5:1 compression

2021+ - Direct Injected (w/ supplemental port injection) 307 cubic inch with 12:1 compression.
Thanks, and even on visible inspection of the engine compartment I can defnitely tell a lot is different. My 2017 engine compartment looked like an engine compartment - this one almost looks more like the inside of an electronic appliance than a combustion engine ;-)

And I definitely hear the whistles/whirrs/howls when I am driving too. The thing I notice most when driving on top of the noise is how "tight" things feel. On the old truck when let off the gas, everything just went loose/limp so to speak - kind of like coasting down a hill on your bicycle. This one feels like evertying is tight/locked together - like a fixed gear bicycle if you've ever riddent one. It also almost seems like engine braking is going on as it downshifts back through the gears when coming to a stop.

HammaMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 302a PB, Mach E GTPE
Hints of a cog driven belt in that noise too. Interesting.
Sponsored