Sponsored

How does your after market exhaust sound while driving?

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Space White F150 XLT 5.0
Does the 10 speed try to shift too much under normal driving that it makes your exhaust sound weird? Growing up i always loved hearing a Chevy Z71 run through the gears at a slower pace but also hold the exhaust note through the next shift.

I'm wondering if the 10 speed ruins the sound by trying to shift so much? any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Sponsored

diambo4life

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Screw 4x4
Occupation
Assassin
Depends how fast you're driving and what mode you're in. I find tow and sport hold the gears longer. To me...it's kinda annoying...kinda like you have that feeling when hearing a guy driving a manual car who doesn't notice it's time to up shift? I find the normal mode being the best overall shifting strategy and the truck sounds awesome doing it depending on how aggressive you're on the gas but the only crappy thing is when cyl deactivation kicks in after you have found your cruising speed...just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Depends how fast you're driving and what mode you're in. I find tow and sport hold the gears longer. To me...it's kinda annoying...kinda like you have that feeling when hearing a guy driving a manual car who doesn't notice it's time to up shift? I find the normal mode being the best overall shifting strategy and the truck sounds awesome doing it depending on how aggessive you're on the gas but the only crappy thing is when cyl deactivation kicks in after you have found your cruising speed...just my 2 cents.
Greatly appreciate your reply sir thank you. Does cylinder deactivation always find a way to kick in? wasn't sure if it was between only certain rpm's or during certain speeds, or if it will find a way to kick in at 70mph+

MJG44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 F150 Black Pack -22 Expedition Stealth - 03 HD
Cylinder deactivation sucks with the exhaust. Will always activate unless in sport or tow, from what I understand. I don't enjoy sport mode, I once thought I did but the shifts hold too long. Installed a pedal commander with normal mode and it's great.

Could do tow mode on highway to potentially stop the deactivation.

Mtnman1

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 RCSB FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Cylinder deactivation sucks with the exhaust. Will always activate unless in sport or tow, from what I understand. I don't enjoy sport mode, I once thought I did but the shifts hold too long. Installed a pedal commander with normal mode and it's great.

All you have to do is hit the "M" on the gear shift. No deactivation in manual. Stay in normal, once in 10th hit manual. Easy peasy.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

What exactly does the pedal commander do?

OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
All you have to do is hit the "M" on the gear shift. No deactivation in manual. Stay in normal, once in 10th hit manual. Easy peasy.
Awesome tip! I just picked up the truck and i'm brand new to the 10 speed so i'm not sure when you can and cannot enter manual mode.

Can you hit the "M" while cruising? I'm assuming that takes you into manual mode. Are you responsible for downshifting, upshifting, or both in manual mode? Can you go into Manual mode while driving or do you need to select it before moving. Just dont want to mess anything up. Thanks

Mauimaikai

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 2.7 F-150 XLT 302a 4x4 SuperCrew
Awesome tip! I just picked up the truck and i'm brand new to the 10 speed so i'm not sure when you can and cannot enter manual mode.

Can you hit the "M" while cruising? I'm assuming that takes you into manual mode. Are you responsible for downshifting, upshifting, or both in manual mode? Can you go into Manual mode while driving or do you need to select it before moving. Just dont want to mess anything up. Thanks
Its on the fly, you can enter and exit it any time you want. Yes you will be responsible for both up and down shifting in manual (although I believe it will downshift on its own automatically eventually, ive just never tried it)

Graygoose2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150
Occupation
Sales
Had the Magnaflow catback, lasted about 2 weeks, couldn't stand the annoying 4V mode.
May reconsider if I ever get Livernois tuner and tune that out.

Sponsored

Mike2019SCrew

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4WD 5.0, 2019 2WD 3.5 SCrew FBO previous
There are also YouTube videos on how to deactivate the deactivation, in addition to Livernois or Whipple tuning it out. For OP though, I say once you get used to it, it sounds awesome. I get a lot of compliments on my current setup - given it's not exactly just a catback (Corsa dB take-off from my '19 3.5, resonater delete, and Whipple - actually changed the tone some). I'd also say though, cylinder deactivation + aftermarket exhaust = embarrassing sound.

OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Its on the fly, you can enter and exit it any time you want. Yes you will be responsible for both up and down shifting in manual (although I believe it will downshift on its own automatically eventually, ive just never tried it)
Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate that. Do you find that the trans does any hard jerking or anything when you manually downshift it? Wasn't sure if it was like a manual car where you would need to rev match the rpm or be within a certain range before downshifting. I'd assume so

OP
OP
LostBoy

LostBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
There are also YouTube videos on how to deactivate the deactivation, in addition to Livernois or Whipple tuning it out. For OP though, I say once you get used to it, it sounds awesome. I get a lot of compliments on my current setup - given it's not exactly just a catback (Corsa dB take-off from my '19 3.5, resonater delete, and Whipple - actually changed the tone some). I'd also say though, cylinder deactivation + aftermarket exhaust = embarrassing sound.
Wow, thats disappointing. I'd assume most who want to avoid that only stay in sport/tow mode unless they're whipple or Livernois tuned =(

Mike2019SCrew

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4WD 5.0, 2019 2WD 3.5 SCrew FBO previous
Yes sir, I was ALWAYS in sport mode prior to the Whipple, for no reason other than I was embarrassed about the lawnmower sound of my brand-new truck.

At about the 4 minute mark, they explain how to deactivate the deactivation, in case you're interested.

Blue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Sport SuperCrew 5.0L
Yes sir, I was ALWAYS in sport mode prior to the Whipple, for no reason other than I was embarrassed about the lawnmower sound of my brand-new truck.

At about the 4 minute mark, they explain how to deactivate the deactivation, in case you're interested.
I wish it was that easy but it has been confirmed (even by the Mizer brothers) that disconnecting the cable at the battery doesn't disable cylinder deactivation. It may do it temporarily, but eventually it turns back on.
Sponsored