Sponsored

JerseyGlock

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat Powerboost
I like it. Why can't you recline the passenger seat and put a mattress over it ?
Sponsored

amschind

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 F150 SCrew 4x4 Powerboost
Occupation
Physician
Looks like an awesome setup. If I may be so bold, I use a small compressor fridge for long trips across Texas, and really like it. If you search Euhomy (quality is no better than all of the others, it's just that they make 120v AC models) on Amazon, you'll find several that can use AC power, which is a big plus as it can sit in the back and run off of the rear power outlet. That's one other big "creature comfort" box that you can tick off for $200-260. A cheapo microwave might not be an awful idea either, and those two together might pay for themselves vs "overpriced fast food from a truck stop".

I am more or less getting set up to do the same thing, as for a lot of reasons an Airstream was the cheapest way to get moved onto land without shelling out for a house on day 1. When the Airstream is done, my goal is to take off and do what you're doing, so I'm thrilled to hear any advice or insights that you have.

Kodiak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lariat PB 7.2k, 4x4 502a Atlas Blue BAP
Make sure you stop by South Dakota to visit the dead presidents. At some point we will "awake" to find it blown up.
One of the real marvels of this country. I saw it as a kid on a vacation with my folks and sister. Pictures do not do it justice. This is nice shot of when you can first see it from the side on one of the roads in the area. My folks green "car" will give away the year this was taken. :)

See it soon as I am sure Eight is correct. If dear leader gets back it will be blown up so it can be replaced with a new face. :( See it while you can.

Ford F-150 Custom Built Adventure Package Rushmore

Mash150

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 King Ranch, 157, SQ , PB
Occupation
Unskilled House Mechanic
One of the real marvels of this country. I saw it as a kid on a vacation with my folks and sister. Pictures do not do it justice. This is nice shot of when you can first see it from the side on one of the roads in the area. My folks green "car" will give away the year this was taken. :)

See it soon as I am sure Eight is correct. If dear leader gets back it will be blown up so it can be replaced with a new face. :( See it while you can.

Rushmore.jpg
Early Carolina Squat from what I see. Great photo for memories

Sponsored

12Lariat21

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat 502A
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Getting ready for a solo multi month cross country road trip to visit National Parks and hiking. Was thinking about a roof top tent, but this fits my needs better.
  1. Removed passenger side front and rear seats.
  2. Built a platform bed
  3. Cut a twin size 6 inch memory foam mattress to width
20240223_150103.jpg

20240223_150043.jpg
Nice job, I sure hope your adventure turns out as awesome as it sounds like it will be!

Have you seen the "Trucker seat belt trick" for securing your doors while you sleep? Where you wrap the seatbelt through the door handle and connect it? just adds another layer of security, be safe on your trip!

Twg1

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 F150 Screw, 2019 Camaro ZLE
Occupation
Engineer
This is fantastic! I assume this is just a layover plywood/OSB platform…or did you use any seat mounting anchors?

Also, I made a foam blocker/cover for the driver dash guages as they are WAY too bright and cant be shut off in the evening. 1” foam worked very well.

OP
OP
Str8Shooter

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT 302A FX4 Powerboost
Occupation
Retired Systems Integrator
I like it. Why can't you recline the passenger seat and put a mattress over it ?
Thanks. I'm happy with the mattress height this gives me.

WalterMitty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Tremor
Getting ready for a solo multi month cross country road trip to visit National Parks and hiking. Was thinking about a roof top tent, but this fits my needs better.
  1. Removed passenger side front and rear seats.
  2. Built a platform bed
  3. Cut a twin size 6 inch memory foam mattress to width
20240223_150103.jpg

20240223_150043.jpg
Nice set up.…..first that I have seen going this route.

I’ve see several set ups that use a truck bed cap, ones that are a fairly simple bed platform in the bed, to full on builds that look like nice rooms.

Did you consider going the cap route at all?

OP
OP
Str8Shooter

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
This is fantastic! I assume this is just a layover plywood/OSB platform…or did you use any seat mounting anchors?

Also, I made a foam blocker/cover for the driver dash guages as they are WAY too bright and cant be shut off in the evening. 1” foam worked very well.
It's just a simple 3/4" OSB platform with six 2x4 legs equally spread across 3/4 of the length of the platform. The legs in the front are 8" tall and the other 4 legs in the middle are 6 1/2 inch tall. Since the bed platform lies flush on the truck's floor next to the car jack no legs at the very rear were required. If the platform was any taller I would have added two more 2x4 legs in front of the car jack area. I am not considering using mounting anchors since the entire bed platform is one piece and hasn't been moving around at all. I'm pretty happy with it as is.

Concerning the foam backer on the dash. That is a great solution for night camping. I will try something like you did with what I have in hand. Here's my idea. I already made custom window coverings using reflectix and matt black vinyl fabric for all my windows. I still have a some scrap reflectix that I can use for the dash. It's pretty easy to do. I'll just put some paper in the dash area to make a template and use the template to cut the reflectix.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Str8Shooter

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Looks like an awesome setup. If I may be so bold, I use a small compressor fridge for long trips across Texas, and really like it. If you search Euhomy (quality is no better than all of the others, it's just that they make 120v AC models) on Amazon, you'll find several that can use AC power, which is a big plus as it can sit in the back and run off of the rear power outlet. That's one other big "creature comfort" box that you can tick off for $200-260. A cheapo microwave might not be an awful idea either, and those two together might pay for themselves vs "overpriced fast food from a truck stop".

I am more or less getting set up to do the same thing, as for a lot of reasons an Airstream was the cheapest way to get moved onto land without shelling out for a house on day 1. When the Airstream is done, my goal is to take off and do what you're doing, so I'm thrilled to hear any advice or insights that you have.
I'm using a Dometic 55IM fridge. It wasn't cheap, but since I bought a lot of stuff the year before at REI it was a lot cheaper. I also use a cheap microwave and just recently replaced my dual propane burner cooktop with a single induction cooktop that is not effected by wind when I cook and is faster to set up. These are under my Backflip MX4 Tonneau cover.

OP
OP
Str8Shooter

Str8Shooter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Nice set up.…..first that I have seen going this route.

I’ve see several set ups that use a truck bed cap, ones that are a fairly simple bed platform in the bed, to full on builds that look like nice rooms.

Did you consider going the cap route at all?
Thanks! My inspiration for this was tons and tons of YouTube videos of people doing this in cars and vans. I couldn't find one single video of anyone doing this on a pickup.

My very 1st truck was a 1976 F100 with 8' bed. It had a cap and bed platform.

If I had a longer bed than 5 1/2, a bed cap would have served me well. This supercrew mod is favorite of all though.

astrand1

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Ford F150 Powerboost 7.2kw
Occupation
Studio truck driver
Nice and good luck on your journey. I will say this is the one time I would NOT appreciate the swoosh on our front windows! I’d feel too exposed :ROFLMAO:
“Swoosh” on the front windows?

Bossharp

First Name
Clinton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda
Occupation
Retired USN
I bought a new 1995 XL supercab (Desert Copper Clearcoat Metallic) that had no back bench or jump seats. A family friend made a platform with a slightly oversized 8" thick foam bench. I called it the 'XL Motel' and during a couple of hurricanes when we lost power it was a fine place to sleep and rest with air conditioning. The kids loved it but Kathy worried about the lack of seat belts. In my 2006 SRT-10 QC I cut up extra Sun shields to black out all the windows so she could have privacy to change a outfit or simply be cool and rest before a gig or between sets. The Dodge was fantastic! To be able to have a dark private very cool place to be during a HOT summer daytime gig was a treat.. Reservations were required and highly coveted.

KartRacer25

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 SuperCab Sport 4x4 5.0 3.73 Space White
Occupation
Senior Software Engineer
Nice. They make netting that goes over the top of the door so you can open the windows for ventilation but keep mosquitos out. Just try and find the big ones for our doors/windows. Not sure if the covers you made will do that already. Lots of great options to make it all work. Yeh electric blanket that goes underneath you is a good option too. Bring some hand warmers just in case throw one in the foot box one in middle of sleeping bag for a cold night. Keep us posted for sure.
Sponsored