Sponsored

Can you remove power tow mirrors for power standard mirrors?

JPNewIn22

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150
Occupation
Sales Manager
The dealer told me that they cannot remove the power tow mirrors from a Lariat and add the power standard mirrors because the connectors are not compatible on the 2022 model year. Anyone know if that is true?
Sponsored

Buyer2021

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat SuperCab and 2005 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
retired!
According to the 2022 Workshop Manual Wiring and Connector diagrams the connectors are the same for with / without trailer-tow mirrors; referencing:
  • Power mirrors wiring diagrams Cell 124
  • LH connector = C521
  • RH connector = C622
The difference in the applications is the number of pins actually used (standard mirrors not having extend/retract circuit) but for all of the circuits which are used in both standard / TT the pin location / assignments are the same in each respective connector (not the same on each side) as far as I can tell.

So, just based on the WSM wiring and connector details it appears to me (no guarantee) that the TT mirrors could be 'plug-and-play' replaced with non-TT mirrors having all of the same features and cams except extend/retract. There is I suppose a risk that a DTC (fault code) may show for the resultant 'open' extend / retract circuit (there may be a FORScan fix for that if it happens).

Aside - IME one never wins by coercing a dealer to do a swap / mod / install that they are not immediately willing to undertake; if they balk in the least IMO your best approach is to pay $22 (cheap!) for a 72-hour subscription to the Ford Service Manual (note it must run on a Windows PC), print-out the mirror R&R instructions and all pertinent wiring / connector diagrams, and then after confirming you're comfortable with the job order the parts and do the swap yourself.

Verify everything yourself using the linked Ford Service Manual, hope that helps, Good Luck!

Last edited:

hotrodmex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat 500.5a
Given what power telescoping tow mirrors go for on the aftermarket, I have to imagine you'll make good money doing the swap yourself.

I don't need them, but had I realized the option cost was that far under the aftermarket cost, I probably would have gotten them. Same for the work surface.

Bonefitty

First Name
Boyd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lariat Powerboost
Speaking of, I’d be willing to swap my full-feature tow mirrors for regular ones. I have a ‘23 Avalanche Grey Lariat with black power fold/telescope/360/blis/zone lighting tow mirrors with black gloss painted cap that I’d be willing to work out a swap for similar black or avalanche mirrors. Located in Northern CO. Hmu.
Sponsored