Sponsored

christophers

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid
has anyone actually gotten tow mirrors and put them on their non-tow mirror equipped 2021? i have a platinum without tow mirrors and want to retrofit. i can place an order with my dealer (backordered, no date) but dont want to put any money on it until i'm sure they work. cam/BLIS/power, etc.
Sponsored

Bravo36

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 King Ranch FX 4
Occupation
Retired Fed LEO, Current Federal Contractor
I asked that question a week or so back and so far, no one has stepped up to the plate.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
@Missmy3/4ton @Arcteryx thanks for sharing the part numbers. I got my hands on the ML3Z-17696-CA mirrors after a lot of calls; found it at a dealer across country, had it shipped. I just installed the CA mirror and bad news: power adjust does not seem to work right.

Context: My truck is a Lariat high with power folding and BLIS but no 360 camera. The CA mirror has 360 camera, blis but no power fold, so I was willing to sacrifice power folding to keep all my other functionality.

However, after installing, I can only adjust the mirror outward and upward, down and inward do not work. Incidentally, this was exactly the same issue I had with the “AERDM” aftermarket mirrors I purchased earlier.

Here are the pins from both my stock mirror and the CA tow mirror - top is my stock and bottom is CA.

Ford F-150 Trailer tow mirrors with BLIS (Blind Spot Information System) vs Standard Mirrors 1A5950AB-F4C0-4547-8EEB-0CF008441D8B

Are there any pins I can re-arrange on the tow mirrors to make this work? Or am I stuck with trying to sell these and get DA mirrors instead? Since it has been both aftermarket and OEM CA mirrors that have had this issue, I am incredibly frustrated by this experience.

Missmy3/4ton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
300a XLT 5.0 4x4
@Missmy3/4ton @Arcteryx thanks for sharing the part numbers. I got my hands on the ML3Z-17696-CA mirrors after a lot of calls; found it at a dealer across country, had it shipped. I just installed the CA mirror and bad news: power adjust does not seem to work right.

Context: My truck is a Lariat high with power folding and BLIS but no 360 camera. The CA mirror has 360 camera, blis but no power fold, so I was willing to sacrifice power folding to keep all my other functionality.

However, after installing, I can only adjust the mirror outward and upward, down and inward do not work. Incidentally, this was exactly the same issue I had with the “AERDM” aftermarket mirrors I purchased earlier.

Here are the pins from both my stock mirror and the CA tow mirror - top is my stock and bottom is CA.

1A5950AB-F4C0-4547-8EEB-0CF008441D8B.jpeg

Are there any pins I can re-arrange on the tow mirrors to make this work? Or am I stuck with trying to sell these and get DA mirrors instead? Since it has been both aftermarket and OEM CA mirrors that have had this issue, I am incredibly frustrated by this experience.

Sorry to hear you are having troubles. I personally havent been able to find any. I think you're the first one to try. If anyone has the 21 plug diagram handy, we could quickly figure out if a pin needs moved. I'll try to remember to take a picture of my plugs tonight, I have everything but power fold.

Tyler17

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Lariat

1A5950AB-F4C0-4547-8EEB-0CF008441D8B.jpeg

I wonder if Boost will have issues developing them since they seem to all be different?

Sponsored

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
@Missmy3/4ton could this be a re-initialization / re-sync issue? Can forscan reset the mirror module and force a reset perhaps? I will check with Livnitup.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
OK, here's an update folks. I got the ML3Z-17696-CA tow mirrors to work. This might be the first time any of us poor bastards that bought a 2021 truck got factory tow mirrors to work.

Here's the full run-down in case anyone stumbles upon this post in isolation in future:

1. My truck is a 2021 Lariat high with the high end mirror package stock - full power adjust, memory, BLIS and power fold.
  2. The OEM mirrors I installed: ML3Z-17696-CA. Because I have the Lariat high package, I believe I needed the ML3Z-17696-DA mirrors, however, I tried everywhere, made hundreds of calls to dealers and the only mirrors I could get my hands on anywhere were the CA mirrors. So I ended up ordering those.
  3. When you install the CA mirrors on a Lariat high package, here is what works and what doesn't work:
    1. BLIS: Works
    2. Turn signals: Works
    3. Zone lighting: Works
    4. Power adjust: Works
    5. Power telescope: Nope (I also did not get any new door switches with these CA mirrors)
    6. Power folding: Nope
    7. Memory recall: Nope

This was not plug and play, here is what I did in forscan to get these to work: I played with the various settings on the DDM and PDM and figured out that if I disable "mirror sensor" the power adjustment now works both ways. Before I disabled mirror sensor, power adjust would only adjust the mirrors left and up but not right or down. While I was in there, I also set mirror fold to manual and set the telescope to manual and that removed the DTC errors I posted above.

The only thing that still bugs me is I still cannot get memory function to work. When I recall a memory setting after installing the CA tow mirrors, both driver and passenger mirrors just tilt upwards all the way and get stuck. Either this is also a setting issue that can be addressed via forscan, or the CA mirrors do not have memory?? Hard to believe $725 mirrors do not have memory function??

Last edited:

Nordkin

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
I successfully installed the ML3Z-17696-CA mirrors on my 2021 F150 XLT. I have the 360 cameras, bliss, and heated. It was a plug and play with no issues. I ordered directly from Ford and received them appropriately two weeks later. Total cost was $691

Nordkin

First Name
Donna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 f150
I successfully installed the ML3Z-17696-CA mirrors on my 2021 F150 XLT. I have the 360 cameras, bliss, and heated. It was a plug and play with no issues. I ordered directly from Ford and received them appropriately two weeks later. Total cost was $691
I need to add my mirrors also have puddle lights, turn signals, and lighting on the front of the mirror. All worked with just plug and play.

Sponsored

Dasanchez

First Name
Alicia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 2021
OK, here's an update folks. I got the ML3Z-17696-CA tow mirrors to work. This might be the first time any of us poor bastards that bought a 2021 truck got factory tow mirrors to work.

Here's the full run-down in case anyone stumbles upon this post in isolation in future:

1. My truck is a 2021 Lariat high with the high end mirror package stock - full power adjust, memory, BLIS and power fold.
  2. The OEM mirrors I installed: ML3Z-17696-CA. Because I have the Lariat high package, I believe I needed the ML3Z-17696-DA mirrors, however, I tried everywhere, made hundreds of calls to dealers and the only mirrors I could get my hands on anywhere were the CA mirrors. So I ended up ordering those.
  3. When you install the CA mirrors on a Lariat high package, here is what works and what doesn't work:
    5. Power telescope: Nope (I also did not get any new door switches with these CA mirrors)

This was not plug and play, here is what I did in forscan to get these to work: I played with the various settings on the DDM and PDM and figured out that if I disable "mirror sensor" the power adjustment now works both ways. Before I disabled mirror sensor, power adjust would only adjust the mirrors left and up but not right or down. While I was in there, I also set mirror fold to manual and set the telescope to manual and that removed the DTC errors I posted above.

The only thing that still bugs me is I still cannot get memory function to work. When I recall a memory setting after installing the CA tow mirrors, both driver and passenger mirrors just tilt upwards all the way and get stuck. Either this is also a setting issue that can be addressed via forscan, or the CA mirrors do not have memory?? Hard to believe $725 mirrors do not have memory function??

Where you able to get the camera to work on the mirrors?

EatDirtFartDust

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 XLT, 2015 Lincoln MKZ
Occupation
Ford service manager
My truck has power mirrors, BLIS and 360 cameras. It does NOT have power folding.
My assumption is if I purchase the ML3z17696CA mirrors, I'll be good to go.
What I wonder is... If I purchase the DA mirrors, will that come with a switch and upgrade me to power folding, or are those mirrors only for trucks that came with power fold from the factory?

EDIT: So in looking at the installation instructions, it appears that the more expensive "DA" mirrors come with a new driver's door panel trim panel and a switch that enables the mirror power extension. It does NOT come with a new mirror switch that would add the power fold.
So best case scenario is you have power extending mirrors, but not power fold. Worse case scenario is neither option works and you may have other errors.
If power extension works but not power fold, then the next question to figure out is, if we get a different switch, can it plug it and can FDRS program it?

Last edited:

bball3

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lariat High
Anyone actually purchase the ML3Z17696DA mirrors? I am interested in adding them as I have power fold already but not the 360 camera. Hoping between adding these and the front camera I can enable 360 camera?

RyanR

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Sport FX4
Hey Guys, figured I'd share here, I Own a 21 Lariat, My truck has blind spot, spot lights, etc. The only thing my truck didn't have was the 360 camera. I purchased the mirrors a week ago (the DA part number) when I ordered them, Ford Canadian warehouse had 15 of them. The mirrors did come with a new door trim piece for the Tele switch, and the switch itself. In the instructions they came with, it showed wiring for the telescope tucked under the original switch trim. So I was hoping that I could get this function to work with out much effort. So I installed the mirrors but I could not find the additional wiring. So Conclusion, after install, all my original functions WORKED with out any modifications. Power Fold - Works, Spot lights - Works, Mirror adjustment - Works all directions, Blind spot - Works, Heat - Works. The only functions I did not get, 360 camera (because my truck didn't have it to begin with, How ever there is just an addition optical plug in the mirror that you would just change out) And the power telescope. If anyone that happens to have a Truck with the 360 camera and tries this, let me know. They used to have two different door harnesses, clearly this is still a thing. I am just wondering if the trucks with the 360 cameras have the power tele pre wired. Thanks, hope this helps some of you decide to upgrade, If you can find the kits LoL.

RWATE

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Platinum
Hey Guys, figured I'd share here, I Own a 21 Lariat, My truck has blind spot, spot lights, etc. The only thing my truck didn't have was the 360 camera. I purchased the mirrors a week ago (the DA part number) when I ordered them, Ford Canadian warehouse had 15 of them. The mirrors did come with a new door trim piece for the Tele switch, and the switch itself. In the instructions they came with, it showed wiring for the telescope tucked under the original switch trim. So I was hoping that I could get this function to work with out much effort. So I installed the mirrors but I could not find the additional wiring. So Conclusion, after install, all my original functions WORKED with out any modifications. Power Fold - Works, Spot lights - Works, Mirror adjustment - Works all directions, Blind spot - Works, Heat - Works. The only functions I did not get, 360 camera (because my truck didn't have it to begin with, How ever there is just an addition optical plug in the mirror that you would just change out) And the power telescope. If anyone that happens to have a Truck with the 360 camera and tries this, let me know. They used to have two different door harnesses, clearly this is still a thing. I am just wondering if the trucks with the 360 cameras have the power tele pre wired. Thanks, hope this helps some of you decide to upgrade, If you can find the kits LoL.
Can I ask the cost for these? Also, can you post any pics? Really appreciate it. Local dealer said back order expected to end this next week… maybe
Sponsored