Snakebitten

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 KingRanch Powerboost
Exactly!
Far closer to an F250 suspension than the current non Max-Tow F150.

Look at it: (I realize looks can be deceiving, but it looks like it's going to need some serious damping to avoid boingboing)

Ford F-150 Bouncy ride brand new f150 2022 XL 2.7 supercrew 12_rr_oa.jpg2
Sponsored

Atlee

First Name
Erroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Power Boost, XLT 302A, 4x4, SCrew, 6.5' bed
Occupation
retired
Exactly!
Far closer to an F250 suspension than the current non Max-Tow F150.

Look at it: (I realize looks can be deceiving, but it looks like it's going to need some serious damping to avoid boingboing)

12_rr_oa.jpg2.jpg
Nearly a F200.

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
These are the ones I want, two of these for the rear? Then evaluate and see if the fronts need to go too? https://www.stage3motorsports.com/33-253190-15-22-f150-4wd-bilstein-5100-rear-shock.html

Or I could just order the front ends too and get it all done for $460 https://www.stage3motorsports.com/21f1504wd-21-22-f150-4wd-bilstein-5100-complete-shock-kit.html

Also, is it true leveling makes your mpg worse and makes towing worse? I def like the leveled look but don't want to sacrifice the trucks capabilities.
your MPG will be unaffected.

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
your MPG will be unaffected.
Awesome. Would you start with the rears then decide if I want the front? Also, would you level the truck? 95% roads, 4% towing, 1% offroad is what I'll be doing.

Sponsored

fordhouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 LARIAT 501A FX4 V8
Awesome. Would you start with the rears then decide if I want the front? Also, would you level the truck? 95% roads, 4% towing, 1% offroad is what I'll be doing.
yes rears have more feedback in regards to the “floaty feeling” as opposed to the front shocks. secondly leveling a truck is all aesthetics and up to you as the owner to decide.

RYTOCOR

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 FORD F150
Occupation
Retired
Picked up my truck yesterday. Love it, but on the ride home I felt like when I was on a really uneven road I was bouncing all over the place up and down. I could also feel every little bump and vibration in the road it seemed. I have stock 17" steel wheels with Pirelli Scorpion ATR 265/70R17 115T M+S tires.

I planned on swapping my wheels to the Sport 18" with michelin defenders. However, I would like some input from you all on why the ride felt bouncy. Am I just not used to driving a truck? It felt superb on the flat highway, but the choppy road made me feel like every bump I was feeling and I was bobbing up and down in my seat.

In the fordpass app my tire pressure monitor shows (from front left to back right) 37 / 38 / 37 / 36

Any idea if this is a wheel/tire, suspension thing or is this just how the truck rides?

How would the truck ride with 17 or 18" wheels but large tires, like the raptor has? Ty all.. I am so excited to finally have a vehicle.

RYTOCOR

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 FORD F150
Occupation
Retired
I have a 19 Super Crew XL stock 17” alloys with 2.7 and 5.5 bed I’ve put 20,000 miles on my truck in 14 months with nothing in the bed it does not bounce my tire pressure all around is 34lbs.
If this continues after you adjust and even out your tire pressure let a friend with a truck drive it or bring it back and let a seasoned dealer rep drive it.
Best of luck with your new truck. I still love mine too.

RYTOCOR

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 FORD F150
Occupation
Retired
Ok I filmed a quick video in a parking lot. I just feel like I am feeling every single bump, up and down.. side to side.. like crazy. Either I am just totally OCD or does this look weird? I'm holding the phone in one hand and letting it move with the car. If I hit a speed bump I feel like I spring really hard down and then up and down a few times.. like i'm on a trampoline. Maybe a few months with the BMW spoiled me?
Seems like it’s way too bouncy from my perspective I just returned from a round trip of 2000 miles plus and on the highway it drives like a dream. Mine like yours is a 4x4 with the FX OFF road package also. I have carried bulk items and it does ride a bit better but as far as my truck it drives very smooth. I believe something is not right with your truck, have it checked out and let us all know what’s going on.

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
My 2022 F-150 with the Supercrew cab and 4WD and Max Tow packages is by far the smoothest riding truck I have been owned or been in as a passenger in the past 50 years. It is a softer ride than my 2018 Chevy Traverse SUV that provided a smoother ride on bad roads than my Mercedes sport coupe.

My 2011 diesel 2500 truck had a harsher ride but it had IFS which made a big difference. When I first bought a Toyota 4WD truck with the IFS in 1989 I was delighted with how much better the ride was than with my solid front axle 4WD Toyota, Dodge, and Willys vehicles.

Two things that can help with the ride of a pickup truck are adding a fiberglass cap to put more weight on the rear wheels and adding a sway bar. The sway bar distributes any impact with one wheel to the opposite wheel and can greatly reduce wheel hop when hitting a bump, especially during a turn.

The only trucks that might have Cadillac ride are the ones from Ram that have coil springs at the rear wheels. Ram has a tuneable air suspension that also may help but it is expensive to repair. Unless you really have need of a pickup truck a SUV is a better choice.

Sponsored

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
My 2022 F-150 with the Supercrew cab and 4WD and Max Tow packages is by far the smoothest riding truck I have been owned or been in as a passenger in the past 50 years. It is a softer ride than my 2018 Chevy Traverse SUV that provided a smoother ride on bad roads than my Mercedes sport coupe.

My 2011 diesel 2500 truck had a harsher ride but it had IFS which made a big difference. When I first bought a Toyota 4WD truck with the IFS in 1989 I was delighted with how much better the ride was than with my solid front axle 4WD Toyota, Dodge, and Willys vehicles.

Two things that can help with the ride of a pickup truck are adding a fiberglass cap to put more weight on the rear wheels and adding a sway bar. The sway bar distributes any impact with one wheel to the opposite wheel and can greatly reduce wheel hop when hitting a bump, especially during a turn.

The only trucks that might have Cadillac ride are the ones from Ram that have coil springs at the rear wheels. Ram has a tuneable air suspension that also may help but it is expensive to repair. Unless you really have need of a pickup truck a SUV is a better choice.
I just put 200lbs of sandbags in the rear above the rear tires. Seems to have actually significantly smoothed out the ride. Not spectacular, but way better. Feels more planted and less springy/bobby feeling.

Good to know re: pickup bed shell. I plan on putting a shell on the rear at some point.

Blackout150

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 2022 F150
I just put 200lbs of sandbags in the rear above the rear tires. Seems to have actually significantly smoothed out the ride. Not spectacular, but way better. Feels more planted and less springy/bobby feeling.

Good to know re: pickup bed shell. I plan on putting a shell on the rear at some point.
Crazy how a little weight helps out the ride

Calson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
That is what you gain with a truck cap on the bed. I can put twice as much in the bed with the cap and everything stays dry and dirt free and nothing gets stolen.

OP
OP

gooby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 XL
Crazy how a little weight helps out the ride
Drove a few dozen miles tonight. 50% better overall I'd say. That bouncy springy rear end seems to have calmed down a ton. Still not perfect, but instead of intolerable, it is tolerable. I wonder if some bed weight + bilstein 5100 rear's might do the trick?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Have a 79 Chev long bed 6200gvw (highest GVW in a 1/2 ton for that style)
Drove that thing over 400,000 mi and it rides as nice as a 76 Coupe DeVille.
Have a 98 k1500 with 8 ply tires aired up to 50 and this truck rides nicer than the new F150.
Neither one of these trucks are as responsive in the handling department as the f150.
My F150 is an extended cab 8ft box 4x4, and I ordered the 8’ not only for the box, but for the ride.
I’m thinking just lowering the rear a bit to get rid of the rake will also improve the ride a bit by transferring some of the front weight back to rear.
This F150 is also the first truck I’ve had that really has a rake to it.
All of my previous trucks sat pretty level as delivered.
The 98 is virtually level with no modifications. The 2wd 79 was almost level when new. (But that truck was seriously lowered by the time 1990 rolled around)(still, a Cadillac ride tho)
Sponsored